Op-1 aux out to Digitakt

If this has been answered or described here already please point me to the post.

I have an op-1 and thinking about getting the Digitakt and playing them together, (probably on my lap, so I want to keep the set up simple).

Is it possible to do something like: connect op-1 aux audio out to Digitakt aux in with headphones out from digitakt? I’d also like to sample op-1 into Digitakt if possible

I’m not looking to control either with midi (like cuckoo does in his mega tutorial). But don’t know if it’d be possible to sync them without midi connection.

Videos showing possible workflows and setup would really be great to see but I haven’t found anything that does what I’m hoping for yet.

One thing is that both sum to mono before hitting the headphones.
So op1 can be played though the Digitakt but it is summed to mono which is a bit of a bummer

@MirEko, does it really? The Digitakt is stereo, and the input is stereo, just the sampling is mono…

@MirEko, does it really? The Digitakt is stereo, and the input is stereo, just the sampling is mono..

Yes it really does, I have a Digitakt and tested for myself.

So yes the output of Digitakt is stereo but the input is summed to mono before it passes through the Digitakt.
This means you only get mono signal from op1 or any other stereo device.

It sucks big time

Here’s a thread on elektronaughts re this:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/digitakt-direct-monitoring-audio/40803/29

@MirEko

Cool, thanks!
Shame.
I only use it with mono machines coming through the audio in, so hadn't noticed.
Not sure that's such a big deal though. I feel Elektron could unlock that via firmware update. Until then, a passive summing mixer would work? There's one in another thread around here..

Doesn’t op-1output mono? If that’s true it wouldn’t matter what digitakt inputs

Does anyone know of good vids demonstrating workflow and possibilities?

Doesn’t op-1output mono? If that’s true it wouldn’t matter what digitakt inputs

Does anyone know of good vids demonstrating workflow and possibilities?

The master fx are stereo on the op1 and then you have panning of the individual tape tracks. It outputs stereo.

If you copy the tape tracks to computer by USB then yes they are mono

@MirEko

Cool, thanks!
Shame.
I only use it with mono machines coming through the audio in, so hadn't noticed.
Not sure that's such a big deal though. I feel Elektron could unlock that via firmware update. Until then, a passive summing mixer would work? There's one in another thread around here..

I would hope they could unlock but doubt they will.
The op1 also sums to mono before passing audio through

How about just resampling each op1 track on the digitakt and do the panning and levels inside that? Yes the master fx on the op1 are stereo but I never felt they add much to the overall stereo image anyhow.

I doubt elektron will unblock anything. It is a design choice either to keep the cost down or a strategy to not hurt their octratrack that does sample in stereo.
I doubt elektron will unblock anything. It is a design choice either to keep the cost down or a strategy to not hurt their octratrack that does sample in stereo.

it gives you a choice which channel to sample, no? i don’t think it’s a hardware issue…

One thing is that both sum to mono before hitting the headphones. So op1 can be played though the Digitakt but it is summed to mono which is a bit of a bummer

Do I need a mono to left right splitter aux cable? Mono out from op-1 to splitter then left and right into digitakt? Or just a straight aux cable between op-1 and digitakt left in?