Bluetooth MIDI on iPad

I’ve bought a Yamaha MD-BT01 adapter which I’m using to bluetooth-enable some of my synths (eg. Roland Boutiques) so I can control them using various iPad apps.

It does work, but I’ve found it a bit of a faff each time I need to set it up.

The key problem is that the bluetooth connection from the iPad to the bluetooth adapter:
- connection can’t be achieved by a simple bluetooth pairing exercise in the iPad ‘settings’
- so connection isn’t automatic or persistent
- connection can’t be made using certain programs (eg. Xynthesizr, Arpist) which subsequently DO work once the connection is made by another app (such as Roli Seaboard 5D)
- connection can be made only be certain apps (eg. Roli Seaboard 5D) which then can’t MIDI control my Boutique - but can be inwardly controlled (perhaps that’s just a design limitation of this app)

So what’s confusing me is that certain programs can operate over Bluetooth MIDI but don’t have their own functionality to establish the session. Why is this?

CB

Yeah it’s weird. I have a wireless midi foot pedal, but I too was disappointed to realize it’s down to each app to implement the BT MIDI. As long as you route the MIDI through an app that has it everything should work though.

It’s just the way Bluetooth MIDI is implemented on iOS - as an API the apps need to access directly.