Resampling: How to do it correctly?

Ok so I am getting into resampling 4 tape tracks down to 1, but want to know if there’s a way I am missing as each way I am using now has ‘issues’.

Method 1:
Turn off EQ/COMP/MASTER FX and record to album. Then record from album back to 1 track in the tape.
ISSUE: No way to get timing rock solid… Have to hold REC then switch to album, then hit play on TAPE and REC on album at the exact same time. Introduces timing problems.

Method 2:
Lift all tracks and past into Sampler.
ISSUE: Have to boost volume to be the same level as tape, last night I was boosting by +10 to achieve a similar volume to the separate tape tracks. After a few verses of the song the gain was all over the place.

Any one got another bettter way to do this?

Thanks

Hey @MirEko this might sound a little dumb, but you just need to hit the buttons at the same time. If you nail it, it will be perfect timing. I always have a “test patch”, where I will copy my tape track across to a “blank” piece of the tape, and practice on that part to get it right first. If you nail the timing, you can bounce back and forth from tape to album and back again in pretty much perfect time.

That said, screwing it up is really the sound of the OP1 I think :smiley:

use ear and bounce down right on the tape

As @docshermsticks said most of the time I resample 3 down to one:

1. Turn off all effects on the „master bus“
  2. Set record source to ear symbol
  3. Set record volume to max
  4. Hit the mic button so you record from the ear:)
  5. Select the empty track to resample from the other 3

However sometimes its a bit quiter then the original, in this case I fiddle with eqiing till it works out.

Ah and you can do a loudness a to b comparsion quickly by switching between holding down the button for the original 3 and the other 1.

As @docshermsticks said most of the time I resample 3 down to one: 1) Turn off all effects on the „master bus“ 2) Set record source to ear symbol 3) Set record volume to max 4) Hit the mic button so you record from the ear:) 5) Select the empty track to resample from the other 3

However sometimes its a bit quiter then the original, in this case I fiddle with eqiing till it works out.

Ah and you can do a loudness a to b comparsion quickly by switching between holding down the button for the original 3 and the other 1.

This is good but I will always be going 4 to 1. And gain is the big issue I keep running into. It looks like rec to album is the best way to do it

Hey @MirEko this might sound a little dumb, but you just need to hit the buttons at the same time. If you nail it, it will be perfect timing. I always have a "test patch", where I will copy my tape track across to a "blank" piece of the tape, and practice on that part to get it right first. If you nail the timing, you can bounce back and forth from tape to album and back again in pretty much perfect time.

That said, screwing it up is really the sound of the OP1 I think :D

Yup :slight_smile: it’s not too hard but, maybe if I turn on the metronome

This is good but I will always be going 4 to 1. And gain is the big issue I keep running into. It looks like rec to album is the best way to do it

Maybe that’s the problem… I’m not sure, but you must record 3 to 1, otherwise you record 1 on top of 1 again.

or if you had a track that plays at 99 volume, you could overdub the other 3 on it in pretty decent sync:

1. mute track to overdub on. the contents will mix with the other active tracks
2. turn off all mixer/master effects
3. set input to ear, input gain to 0.0, track input level to max
4. turn ear on
5. record on muted track
6. mute the other 3 tracks, unmute overdubbed track
7. turn effects back on
8. check recording is what you wanted and lift/delete the other tracks

Maybe that’s the problem… I’m not sure, but you must record 3 to 1, otherwise you record 1 on top of 1 again.

This is why I use the album, record 4 tracks to the album, record album back to empty tape.

or if you had a track that plays at 99 volume, you could overdub the other 3 on it in pretty decent sync:

1. mute track to overdub on. the contents will mix with the other active tracks
2. turn off all mixer/master effects
3. set input to ear, input gain to 0.0, track input level to max
4. turn ear on
5. record on muted track
6. mute the other 3 tracks, unmute overdubbed track
7. turn effects back on
8. check recording is what you wanted and lift/delete the other tracks

This might be what I’ve been looking for! At work right now but going to try this out when home, Thanks!!