CPU overload

On OS 220.

Only had my OP1 for a few weeks but I am noticing this more and more lately. Crackles on certain synths when fx are pushed (like LFO on nitro envelope).
Or little crackles when doing larger chords.

Any ideas if this is unique to my op1 or if this is something you guys all get?

Or any other ideas what could be causing it?

Note it isn’t volume, still happens when i lower the rec input for the tape.

If you give an example configuration where this happens, I’ll check it on my device.

Nitro’s white knob sometimes causes distortion if up too high, other than that, Nitro is fine for me and I often put an LFO on the red parameter. DSynth will cause load issues for me though, especially when chorded or when set to unison…

Note it isn't volume, still happens when i lower the rec input for the tape.

What about the Drive in button (4) of the master?

I tend to have problems with the String engine with a patch with any amount of release. Punch also crackles for me. I haven’t had any problems with Nitro, but I tend not to use much resonance.

Interesting note: These dsp crackles which plague this machine seem to mostly only be present when playing live… ie. It seems that a super crackly synth patch will, when recorded to tape, play-back completely clean.

Try it.

This doesn’t help for live performance, or recording into a DAW, but if you’re making beats to tape, it is a pretty good workaround for an otherwise stupidly annoying issue.
I tend to have problems with the String engine with a patch with any amount of release. Punch also crackles for me. I haven't had any problems with Nitro, but I tend not to use much resonance.

Yes string engine, esp on unison

Interesting note: These dsp crackles which plague this machine seem to mostly only be present when playing live... ie. It seems that a super crackly synth patch will, when recorded to tape, play-back completely clean.

Try it.

This doesn't help for live performance, or recording into a DAW, but if you're making beats to tape, it is a pretty good workaround for an otherwise stupidly annoying issue.

This is good to know, next time I have this problem I will rec and check. I’m ok with that, I don’t see myself recording to daw or using live. So if it’s good on the tape then I’m happy

Yes, I always have problems with the String engine, specially with FX. Appears to be DSP heavy. Good to know that they arent recorded, @ludicrouSpeed. My style is more live based but is an workaround for loops.

I have had some problems with string, but I think it’s mostly the animation. Try switching off the engine screen and it might help.

I have had some problems with string, but I think it's mostly the animation. Try switching off the engine screen and it might help.

Interesting!