Ableton Live Standard vs Suite

Who out there is using Suite over Standard? I am going to upgrade from 8 to 9 right now to get the deal and free upgrade to 10. But I figure if I am going to upgrade from Standard to Suite, now would be the time to do it. Looking at it, it seems the main benefits are some extra new instruments and effects, plus use of Max 4 Live. Are these features worth $150?? I have some thoughts, but want other peoples opinions on this.

Thanks!

TBH I think it’s worth it just for M4L. I don’t get into the coding side of it, but there’s just a bunch of interesting fx and utilities that just don’t seem to exist in other plugins.

Ones that jump to mind are Crap Cassette, Flutter, Mirror Maze

Also, on the built-in instruments: if you have no good synth VSTs, Operator is pretty much endless in terms of sound design. Sampler is a great multi-sampler (not without its quirks). Analog is a decent VA emulator of sorts.

You can always download the demo (or a crack, depending on your personal ethics!), try them out, and let that lead you

Yep. Suite is worth the extra dough. Max for Live is huge!
Go for it.

I use suite. I almost exclusively use Live native devices, so it works great for me. Totally worth it to me.

If I mainly use hardware sounds sources, is it worth it for just the effects? And is there a good polyphonic synth in the Suite instruments? Because that would mean I can put off purchasing something like that :slight_smile:

Thanks for your opinions! Very helpful!

@GCF both Operator and Analog are great polysynths. Both are based on subtractive synthesis, Operator also has a bunch of FM options too. There’s some good videos from Monolake, using Operator as a drum synth too

@GCF both Operator and Analog are great polysynths. Both are based on subtractive synthesis, Operator also has a bunch of FM options too. There's some good videos from Monolake, using Operator as a drum synth too

Operator is a pure FM synth, no? Nothing subtractive about it.

@GCF both Operator and Analog are great polysynths. Both are based on subtractive synthesis, Operator also has a bunch of FM options too. There's some good videos from Monolake, using Operator as a drum synth too

Operator is a pure FM synth, no? Nothing subtractive about it.

Only if you use the FM routings tab and route the oscillators/operators to each other. The last setting is 4 independent oscillators, and you have all the different combinations in between, so it’s capable of doing both nicely. Says this on the website too BTW

def worth it for all the little cool creative extras you can get for M4L.