Critter & Guitari Organelle (never selling!)

edited November 2017 in Other Gear
EDIT - NOT SELLING ANYMORE

Really cool synth / effects unit / audio & MIDI computer thingummy. Wanted to get into Pure Data with this but simply not had the time and looking to cut back on my audio gear.

Perfect condition, comes with original US power supply (and US to UK adaptor), original USB drive, quick start guide and box. I also bought some funky knobs from Thonk which I’ll include (see photo). 

£350 

Buyer pays postage (£15 including tracking and insurance), PayPal F&F or add 4%. Bought and sold many times on here, Elektronauts and Muff Wiggler.

Comments

• Ah that's a shame you haven't gelled with yours mate. Took me a while to get in to it and organise patches etc but it's becoming more useful/fun every session now.. Have you grabbed all the non-official patches and updated the OS to the current beta (with favourites, 'save as new' and sub-folders etc)?Those two factors make a BIG difference for fun/depth and workflow ;)

For me it's felt like learning Pd isn't really neccessary atm in most cases unless you're after something specific. If you can afford to hang on to it I'd keep hold for couple more months and see what turns up, some killer patches and significant OS stuff in the pipeline ;) If I had some spare £ I'd poss buy yours as a 2nd unit so I could have one on my desk and one on my pedalboard...

Good luck with the sale tho if you're getting rid :)
  • I have been downloading stuff from Patch Storage, not sure installed beta OS yet though, certainly loved clds.

Ach dunno though, the more stuff I have the less productive I am... agree though that if you're not interested in Pd then that side of it isn't important, but it was one of the main reasons I bought it initially.
  • Yeh when I copped mine I was planning to get in to Pd asap too, hasn't happened at all yet tho :/

Without the beta OS the Organelle is a workflow nightmare, scrolling through 200+ patches was killing me! The beta OS is waaaay more functional re browsing patches and creating presets. Took me hours to go through all the patches and categorise in to folders for c&g/mutable/shreeswifty/synth/drum/sampler/sample playback/fx/junk etc but fully worth it. Still in progress tidying it up. Will upload my entire USB stick when it's all sorted and hopefully that'll save future new users a bunch of teething pain..

PatchStorage has a lot of good stuff but equally as many gems hidden in the organelle forum from Shreeswifty. Patches that he's posted and hasn't put on PatchStorage.. He's also about to drop his take on the Hologram Infinite Jets pedal ;)
  • As an organelle owner I would love to see how you organized your patches.

there are so many and I always forget what they do.

And I know I've probably over looked some great ones.
  • I have my folders set out as

Generative
    Sequencers
    Ambient
    Synths
    Drum Machines
    Noise
    FX

Works great to lay them into categories as Callofthevoid was saying.
    My Fav. patch at the moment is the Autechre drum maker. Instant Jam inducing pleasure.
  • I have my folders set out as

Generative
    Sequencers
    Ambient
    Synths
    Drum Machines
    Noise
    FX

Works great to lay them into categories as Callofthevoid was saying.
    My Fav. patch at the moment is the Autechre drum maker. Instant Jam inducing pleasure.
    My folder structure on the Organelle is similar with an additional folder called 'Latest' - new patches always land here and stay a while, until I've had enough time with them and know which ones are keepers and which ones get dumped. 
  • Can you guys list what patches you have in each folder. My issue is that I don't know which packs do what. Which folder they go into.

I'm gonna try to organise my patches like you
  • I have like 200+ patches on the USB and they aren't all black and white in terms of what they do/how to categorise.

Takes a while but best thing to do is to go through all the patches one by one and take notes of what you interpret them as for your own use (for instance there might be a sampling patch that you personally want to categorise as 'noise', rather than just 'sampler'). Then juggle the files around in to folders that make sense to you. That way you can also make a note of which patches you really dig along the way and you can add those to your favourites.

I'll upload my entire USB stick when I'm finished organising but to write them all out on here would take forever!

• Thank you sounds good, or screen shots would be fine too.

I'm on the latest official firmware, I haven't tried the beta with favorites and folders.

if I move the patches to sub folders do i have to change anything within the patch?

• No extra steps needed. Super easy. It's same as organising any other files on a USB stick in to other folders.

Download the beta and install and then you're good to go :)

https://patchstorage.com/updateos-v22b1-tb/

@ghostly606 feels like we fully hijacked your thread! Sorry dude. At least it's all positive stuff that might help your sale ;) or maybe mods can branch off the wayward posts in to a new thread?
  • @Callofthevoid Don't worry about it, would hate if this got forum got as organised as Elektronauts! (not dissing there mind you)

And besides, booking some alone time with the Organelle over the weekend to see if it stays... watch this space!
  • edited October 2017
    Here you go @Eli5 , a bit different than I typed out, forgot I had one called Mutable for all of Oliver's great stuff.
    There are heaps of patches. so I had to do 3 screen grabs.
    link:

@ghostly606 Good luck selling!!
  • mec1  thanks dude! gonna upgrade and organize all of these tonight.

good luck @ghostly606!
  • Playing with Organelle all morning, watched a few Pd YouTube vids... it's a keeper. Haha. I really need to settle on a set-up... damn you GAS.
  • Playing with Organelle all morning, watched a few Pd YouTube vids... it's a keeper. Haha. I really need to settle on a set-up... damn you GAS.
    Good move :) Organelle falls in same zone as op1/OT imo. Too much fun/flexibility/inspiration to get rid of ;)
  • Sold the OT and OP1 before, shame I won't be getting the set! :)
  • Definitely not selling now, the ETC has been ported to run on the Organelle, and it's all rather wonderful!

http://forum.critterandguitari.com/t/etc-on-organelle/1969/5

• Yeah man, result! And the new infinite jets patch is ridiculous. Recorded an hour and half of amazing noise out of it today just from a shitty mic and making dumb sounds with my mouth. Pretty sure I'll cop a 2nd unit pretty soon...
  • Way cool ghostly606, I am installing it now. 
    Technobear and Shreeswifty are legends!!!
  • edited November 2017
    Technobear and Shreeswifty are legends!!!

Couldn't agree more!
  • This is cool af, I was kinda wanting an ETC, now I kinda have one :p
  • I must say that I'm a bit disappointed by this little box...
    I have not clicked with it like I had with the Pocket Piano.
    It's a pity there are so few knobs, but I'll plug my QuNeo to offer a bit more interaction.
    I have the intention to open @thetechnobear's patches and add a few LFO, for starters.
    And maybe offer more interaction by using half of the keyboard for quick access to menus.

Damn, I was really looking forward to have a powerful weapon of sorts, and I just feel restrained by the 4 knobs + 1 button interaction, what a pity !
  • That's why I've ordered a Nanokontrol! :)
  • I must say that I'm a bit disappointed by this little box...
    I have not clicked with it like I had with the Pocket Piano.
    It's a pity there are so few knobs, but I'll plug my QuNeo to offer a bit more interaction.
    I have the intention to open @thetechnobear's patches and add a few LFO, for starters.
    And maybe offer more interaction by using half of the keyboard for quick access to menus.

Damn, I was really looking forward to have a powerful weapon of sorts, and I just feel restrained by the 4 knobs + 1 button interaction, what a pity !
    Takes a while to get in to mate ;) Thats pretty standard 'week 1' organelle vibes. It's definitely not a 'get back from the store and instant mind blown' or even instant connection kind of box. You need to find the patches that you personally click with ;) When you do you'll be hooked. You need to grab all of Shreeswifty stuff for sure if haven't already. Goldmine!

Each patch can work very differently to others, depending on the decisions the coder made. Like sampling might be on a different button (or footswitch is normally best if you have one?) or sequencer might work totally differently to the last one you tried. When you find something you like it's sometimes kind of like learning a new pedal or instrument for every patch. And there are hundreds ;)

But yeah, wish it had more knobs for sure. I kind of hate the interface overall. Scroll with knob and click feels fiddly. Wooden keys. I got used to it tho.

You auditioned through patches with op1 plugged in? That's the dreamteam for me ;)
  • edited January 9
    Totally feels like it would be totally another instrument with the right knobby interface (rather than a keyboard)
    Charm of it comes from its infinite versatility. I just can't understand why there is only ONE Aux button. Even Pocket Piano had two of them.
    And 4 knobs, not even encoders !! Total UX fail !

I love it that I know I should be able to tweak any patch and do what pleases me with this little box, but I hate having to plug extra controllers. Feels like a computer, where is the fun ?

Anyway, I have 10 days to try it and see where I can bring it... 

• I agree, the UI was a big disappointment. But the rest is gold. =)
  • edited January 9
    Totally feels like it would be totally another instrument with the right knobby interface (rather than a keyboard)
    Charm of it comes from its infinite versatility. I just can't understand why there is only ONE Aux button. Even Pocket Piano had two of them.
    And 4 knobs, not even encoders !! Total UX fail !

I love it that I know I should be able to tweak any patch and do what pleases me with this little box, but I hate having to plug extra controllers. Feels like a computer, where is the fun ?

Anyway, I have 10 days to try it and see where I can bring it... 

FWIW I've never attached a controller to mine yet and have had a TON of fun on it ;) Every time I turn it on I end up somewhere cool that I'd not planned on ;)

Spend a day downloading and organising patches in to folders of fx/synth/sampler/sample player/generative/sequencer etc. Go to bed hating it and calling it an awkward computer. Wake up next day (and have other gear around to run through the fx and/or sample in to it) and switch it on and it'll feel like a different box ;)

Yeah the UX is always gonna be it's achilles heel but there's an update coming where all params across multiple page patches will be midi controllable. Problem solved maybe if current UX is a total dealbreaker for you. And in the meantime you can explore which patches you like to use. It took me WEEKS to get through them all and give each one a fair go...and then longer to fully explore my favourites (still haven't tbh). And I still haven't even thrown any user samples in to the sample player patches (need to import to folders... Never got round to it) .

It doesn't feel any more like a computer to me than when I'm programming something like my Timeline or similar.

I'd probably keep mine even if it only had my 5 favourite patches ;)
  • thinking this might be my next toy . . . what is the infinite jets patch you're talking about? Is it based off the pedal?
  • thinking this might be my next toy . . . what is the infinite jets patch you're talking about? Is it based off the pedal?

Yep:

http://forum.critterandguitari.com/t/infinite-jets-emulation-update/1867/22
  • Thing, is, I have ideas I want to try on this little fella.
    Like playing with wavetables, or simple additive synthesis...
    I even know how to make use of the different knobs and buttons.

But as is, after having browsed all the patches, I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyway, what you all tell here let me think it can still grow on me, I'll give it the time it deserves.
    :)