Is there a new OS coming? what are the synths?

I read somewhere on reddit or this forum about a new OS, and I’ve found videos online of people with a beta OS with an added synth and Eq (but these videos are from 2016?!).

Anyone know if theres a new OS update coming or if it’s been abandoned.

Also anyone have a link to a list of upcoming synth/FX updates and abandoned synth/FX updates (like that awesome looking APE TAPE).

Thanks!

I haven’t heard about a new OS version in the makin, maybe the reddit posts refer to the v2 OS that has already been released.

AFAIK the OP-1 is still their flagship product and far from being abandoned. It’s questionable if there will be lots of new features in the future since the OP-1 already did got a lot of new stuff in the past. Adding lots more stuff will make it more complicated and clutter the product, and IMHO that’s the opposite of what TE products stand for. Bugs will still get fixed (hopefully).

Also currently all development power is obviously rerouted to the new OP-Z which has been announced for end of this year.

I don’t really think new fx/synths/sequencers would clutter it? Would just be a couple more things to scroll through in menus which are short enough for it not to be an issue :wink:

I read somewhere on reddit or this forum about a new OS, and I've found videos online of people with a beta OS with an added synth and Eq (but these videos are from 2016?!).
Anyone know if theres a new OS update coming or if it's been abandoned.

Also anyone have a link to a list of upcoming synth/FX updates and abandoned synth/FX updates (like that awesome looking APE TAPE).

Thanks!
All that beta stuff you read was about the current OS, which was released Nov. 2016. Some new feature were added to Tape, you might be confusing that with a "new Tape FX". A summary of new stuff:

https://ask.audio/articles/teenage-engineering-op-1-os-update-includes-voltage-synth-tape-loops-and-arpeggio-sequencer

I can’t imagine them even beginning on a new OS until after the OP-Z is released.

I read somewhere on reddit or this forum about a new OS, and I've found videos online of people with a beta OS with an added synth and Eq (but these videos are from 2016?!).
Anyone know if theres a new OS update coming or if it's been abandoned.

Thanks!
All that beta stuff you read was about the current OS, which was released Nov. 2016. Some new feature were added to Tape, you might be confusing that with a "new Tape FX". A summary of new stuff:

https://ask.audio/articles/teenage-engineering-op-1-os-update-includes-voltage-synth-tape-loops-and-arpeggio-sequencer

This was the one I mentioned (ape tape):

https://operator-1.com/uploads/FileUpload/f3/1638a74f386b9f521e4382bc94269e.png

This was the one I mentioned (ape tape):

https://operator-1.com/uploads/FileUpload/f3/1638a74f386b9f521e4382bc94269e.png

You have to beat the Choplifter game to get it - something like that. I never bothered but I’m sure it’s worth the effort for some

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/434/hidden-choplifter-game-on-op-1

Disclaimer: It’s been years since I read all the way through that old thread. I can’t be held responsible for any disappointment you may experience.

^is this for real? forget about super mario odyssey imma be choplifter master!

^is this for real? forget about super mario odyssey imma be choplifter master!

Unfortunately not… I got all excited too haha.
Seems it was only a joke in the other thread and ape tape is an abandoned fx prototype :frowning:

I doubt we’ll get an update within the next year or so. Just doesn’t seem to be their focus anymore.

I’m not expecting a lot of new stuff from OP-1 from here on. I do hope they keep updating, but what I want to see most is improvements to the small things, like make shift+drop bounce down if you’ve just lifted a bunch of tracks together. Maybe a drive effect, or dsynth’s filter effect, I’d be all over those.

Gotta get that OP-Z ready though. That thing looks like magic and we’ve hardly seen half of it yet. I want to send TE too much money right now and they can just include the difference with the unit whenever it’s ready. Like just a wad of bills. Make it rain while I rock out for the first time.

I'm not expecting a lot of new stuff from OP-1 from here on. I do hope they keep updating, but what I want to see most is improvements to the small things, like make shift+drop bounce down if you've just lifted a bunch of tracks together. Maybe a drive effect, or dsynth's filter effect, I'd be all over those.

Gotta get that OP-Z ready though. That thing looks like magic and we've hardly seen half of it yet. I want to send TE too much money right now and they can just include the difference with the unit whenever it's ready. Like just a wad of bills. Make it rain while I rock out for the first time.

Re: bouncing. If the lift all is under 12 seconds, you can drop into drum sampler and record back to a track… Just incase you didn’t know

I'm not expecting a lot of new stuff from OP-1 from here on. I do hope they keep updating, but what I want to see most is improvements to the small things, like make shift+drop bounce down if you've just lifted a bunch of tracks together. Maybe a drive effect, or dsynth's filter effect, I'd be all over those.

Gotta get that OP-Z ready though. That thing looks like magic and we've hardly seen half of it yet. I want to send TE too much money right now and they can just include the difference with the unit whenever it's ready. Like just a wad of bills. Make it rain while I rock out for the first time.

Re: bouncing. If the lift all is under 12 seconds, you can drop into drum sampler and record back to a track… Just incase you didn’t know

awesome tip, i did not know this. thanks!

You’re welcome. Pretty sure it’s in the tips and tricks thread. But it’s quite a long thread, so it can take a while to absorb even if you read right through.

You’re welcome. Pretty sure it’s in the tips and tricks thread. But it’s quite a long thread, so it can take a while to absorb even if you read right through.

Yeah I’m slowly making my way through, but I am very new to the OP1 so will probably go through that thread a few times before stuff sinks in. But this one is a tip i will use every session as currently I was recording to album, then recording back to the tape, but my timing was not 100% because i had to hit play on both at the same time etc

@ludicrouSpeed I might have been the one to originally post that tip :stuck_out_tongue:

Problem with it is you need to leave the tape screen, then come back and record out the length of the bounce. You can do it a little faster by lifting from the sampler and pasting back to the track, but then you need to manually cut the patch data off the front of the sample.

So here’s a question… anyone with access to more than one OP, have you tried transferring patches over audio? Drop to tape, play, record on the second OP, lift, drop into synth? This has been a feature for as long as I can recall and I’ve never heard of anyone using it.

@ludicrouSpeed I might have been the one to originally post that tip :p

Problem with it is you need to leave the tape screen, then come back and record out the length of the bounce. You can do it a little faster by lifting from the sampler and pasting back to the track, but then you need to manually cut the patch data off the front of the sample.

So here's a question... anyone with access to more than one OP, have you tried transferring patches over audio? Drop to tape, play, record on the second OP, lift, drop into synth? This has been a feature for as long as I can recall and I've never heard of anyone using it.

I don’t understand! Ahaha. Over my head.

When you drop to tape, you just then assign to a one shot, then using tape bar markers, go back to the start of the bar and holding record, hit the key to trigger the sample right on time. Seems to work easy. I do a lot of resampling that way. Re-sampling flexibility being one of the most potent strengths of the op1 after having been inspired by that dude on this forum. What’s his name? Can’t think of it, but he’s regular.

Ah, yes. I believe it’s docshermansticks. What a name. But there’s plenty of other guys on here who are op1 gurus too. I can’t seem to approach the shit they do. Makes the op1 equal parts enjoyment & frustration. Could be worse, huh.

So heh, try this: when you drop to the drum kit, immediately lift it again, from the sampler. You’ll get the sample. Drop that to tape. Like go back to the tape and use the drop key. You’ll get the mixed down sample, plus the drumkit settings as raw audio. You can chop off the noise from the tape to recover the bounced track without having to record, but you gotta chop off the synth data or it will sound like a C64 tape instead of an OP-1 tape. Then you gotta reposition the audio on the tape (shift+blue ftw).

Posted about that a year or so ago, someone said it worked well for them iirc. A bit fiddly for me tho.

So heh, try this: when you drop to the drum kit, immediately lift it again, from the sampler. You'll get the sample. Drop _that_ to tape. Like go back to the tape and use the drop key. You'll get the mixed down sample, plus the drumkit settings as raw audio. You can chop off the noise from the tape to recover the bounced track without having to record, but you gotta chop off the synth data or it will sound like a C64 tape instead of an OP-1 tape. Then you gotta reposition the audio on the tape (shift+blue ftw).

Posted about that a year or so ago, someone said it worked well for them iirc. A bit fiddly for me tho.

Yeah I think I prefer just recording from the sampler as a trigger. Good to know though!