Best practices for recording performance (to Zoom H-1)

Hi,

I’m new to this whole sound/music production thing. I have a zoom H-1 and I would like to record to it through the line out of the op-1. This is probably pretty basic stuff, but how do I avoid extra hiss in the recording? I’m looking at guys like Red Means Recording, and I’m noticing their sound is coming through a lot cleaner than mine it would seem. Any tips would be great or if somebody has made a tutorial of how they do this, would appreciate it. Thanks.

RMR would have a high end soundcard and most likely processes the audio when editing.
Try and keep your input high but not clipping for a clean signal. Use a cable into the input ont the H1

the trouble with the H1 is that the line-in goes through the mic preamp so it will hiss unless you record hot, but then you risk overloading it into distortion. there is no such issue on recorders with a true line-in. you will recognise a true line-in by the fact that you have to crank your OP1 all the way up to get a healthy level

@jjllbbkk wanna chime in? :slight_smile:

the trouble with the H1 is that the line-in goes through the mic preamp so it will hiss unless you record hot, but then you risk overloading it into distortion. there is no such issue on recorders with a true line-in. you will recognise a true line-in by the fact that you have to crank your OP1 all the way up to get a healthy level

Good to know!