OP-1 Complimentary Hardware (Workflow Description)

Hi all,

I have been researching here and online about complementary hardware for the OP-1 and finding quite a lot of information. Me personally I am looking at the Digitakt or Octatrack and using the OP-1 to sample into either of those devices. The thing that draws me the most to the DT and the OT is the sequencing as I feel like I work better in that workflow than the free form tape of the OP-1. The sampling of course is also very strong. I have also considered the Electribe Sampler as an alternative but the way it samples is not as clean as the DT or OT but it is a lot cheaper.

Any one have other recommendations about the above gear or any other gear I didnt mention? It can be anything I am really open to hearing what you have to suggest. Specifically, how do you use your complimentary hardware in your music creating workflow with the OP-1?

Sidebar: if I go OT MK1 vs MK2 I feel like MK1 all the way because its cheaper used and has basically the same functionality. Maybe I am wrong for thinking that so feel free to inform a noob like me.

Thanks!

OT and Op1 is a HUGE combo in a tiny space. Years/endless fun/experimenting in that setup alone. Do it :slight_smile:

Re mki vs mkii, I’ve not seen/heard anything in the mkii videos to make me want to upgrade in a hurry personally, so if money isn’t abundant I’d say go for a used mki. Tho the mki will possibly take you a little more learning/getting the shortcuts in to muscle memory.

With the money saved by buying a mki you could buy an Organelle :wink: Ever-expanding little wonderbox which is blowing me away in terms of fun and swiss army knife flexibility. Very capable/interesting box even if only used as an fx for your Op1 > OT. But it does way more than just fx :wink: sampling, synths, sequencers, interesting fx, noise, rompler etc… Great bang for buck now that the community and OS available have expanded and patches are appearing more often.

ditto for Digitakt

My setup atm is OP1, Oto Biscuit, SP-404sx and iPad/iPhone loaded with music apps.
They’re sampling and processing each other until I feel done.
I’m GASing for a Digitakt too.
And Maschine mk3 (but I would need a new laptop).

OT and Op1 is a HUGE combo in a tiny space. Years/endless fun/experimenting in that setup alone. Do it :)

Re mki vs mkii, I’ve not seen/heard anything in the mkii videos to make me want to upgrade in a hurry personally, so if money isn’t abundant I’d say go for a used mki. Tho the mki will possibly take you a little more learning/getting the shortcuts in to muscle memory.

With the money saved by buying a mki you could buy an Organelle :wink: Ever-expanding little wonderbox which is blowing me away in terms of fun and swiss army knife flexibility. Very capable/interesting box even if only used as an fx for your Op1 > OT. But it does way more than just fx :wink: sampling, synths, sequencers, interesting fx, noise, rompler etc… Great bang for buck now that the community and OS available have expanded and patches are appearing more often.

Great now I am looking up Organelle videos on YouTube haha. Thanks for your advice re: the OT. I appreciate the insight! For me I am trying to go as computerless as possible. I love the convenience of the OP-1 and the literally take anywhere form factor. Just when I am home I think I want something beefier with a good sequencer/sampler.

My setup atm is OP1, Oto Biscuit, SP-404sx and iPad/iPhone loaded with music apps. They’re sampling and processing each other until I feel done. I’m GASing for a Digitakt too. And Maschine mk3 (but I would need a new laptop).

I was looking into the SP-404sx because I saw that it samples and sequences too. I feel like at its core it is similar to the DT. Maybe its fair to say its the DT of that time period when it first came out? So def if I want to save money I will go the SP-404sx or Electribe Sampler route. Thanks for your input!

The SP404SX is a totally different beast to the DT, sequencer is pretty much useless, the power is in the effects and resampling. Why not have OP1 as the centre of your system and feed it sounds? A monosynth maybe?

Great thread and perfect first response from @Callofthevoid re: OT

FWIW if you want a nice cheap option, I use a Circuit alongside the OP1 as my main live rig ATM - the Circuit I treat mainly as a drum machine, but also use it’s synths and live record some input on the pads. It is pretty quantized though, so I ear-sync the OP1 tape and play some looser drums over the top. This gives me a good balance of tight/loose drums, and at any stage I can turn down one device and just have the other playing, or smash them together. Used Circuits are really cheap - no sampling on the device though, which IMO is it’s biggest downfall (but is also probably the reason for the low price)

I’ve been on the fence about the OT for aaaages now, but I’m finally convinced. Just gotta save the money and decide between Mk 1 and 2. Have heard some troubling stories about the failure of buttons/encoders on the MK 1, which is the main thing that would push me for a MK2

to compliment the op-1? a source for good samples – such as a turntable and a box of records, or as ghostyly suggested, a nice synth.

but it looks like you want to replace the op-1 with a different sampler and sequencer.

The SP404SX is a totally different beast to the DT, sequencer is pretty much useless, the power is in the effects and resampling. Why not have OP1 as the centre of your system and feed it sounds? A monosynth maybe?

Thanks for that info wasn’t sure about the sequencer of the SP404sx. I have done some sampling into the OP-1 but I wish there was more space. Too bad there wasn’t an sd card slot.

to compliment the op-1? a source for good samples -- such as a turntable and a box of records, or as ghostyly suggested, a nice synth.

but it looks like you want to replace the op-1 with a different sampler and sequencer.

Yeah maybe at home im looking to work in more sequence based production that the DT/OT has to offer. I love the portability of the OP-1 so I’ll never fully replace it.

Maybe I’m looking at this totally wrong and should go more in-depth with another synth. Just trying to get some opinions.

Great thread and perfect first response from @Callofthevoid re: OT

FWIW if you want a nice cheap option, I use a Circuit alongside the OP1 as my main live rig ATM - the Circuit I treat mainly as a drum machine, but also use it's synths and live record some input on the pads. It is pretty quantized though, so I ear-sync the OP1 tape and play some looser drums over the top. This gives me a good balance of tight/loose drums, and at any stage I can turn down one device and just have the other playing, or smash them together. Used Circuits are really cheap - no sampling on the device though, which IMO is it's biggest downfall (but is also probably the reason for the low price)

I've been on the fence about the OT for aaaages now, but I'm finally convinced. Just gotta save the money and decide between Mk 1 and 2. Have heard some troubling stories about the failure of buttons/encoders on the MK 1, which is the main thing that would push me for a MK2

Thanks for sharing your workflow about the circuit! Always awesome to hear how others are integrating hardware into their setups. I’ll have to take a look at the circuit more closely now!

Yeah for the MK2 I’ve read that the upgraded hardware is better for the long run and may be worthwhile from a durability standpoint. But man it’s a tough extra amount to swallow. I see the MK1 used on reverb for 800ish which is ~500 cheaper. That’s almost enough to get a Digitakt!

@pmateo good point about the price difference… I’ve seen some “as new” MK1’s go for around $1200 AUD, the Mk2 is retailing for $2199 AUD here… :frowning:

Also, here’s a phone vid of the OP1 // Circuit combo together. Not my best vid, but gives you an idea of the loose OP1 drums (at the start) going in to the rigid, gridded drums of the Circuit towards the end
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUf1aVljejg/?taken-by=mlbstrd

@pmateo
"
Yeah for the MK2 I’ve read that the upgraded hardware is better for the long run and may be worthwhile from a durability standpoint"

I wouldn’t take too much of the marketing spiel in to consideration re build quality/components. Until mkii turned up Elektron would have told you the mki was totally boutique/built to last etc. Both old and new models will occasionally develop issues, its just luck of the draw… Maybe the chances are decreased on the new models but good condition a mki should be good to go for a long while yet…

oh yeah, i hear you about wanting to have a fully-featured sequencer.
apart form the OP-1, i also have a roland mv8000…128 channels of midi and DAW style arranging.

to compliment the op-1? a source for good samples – such as a turntable and a box of records, or as ghostyly suggested, a nice synth.

Yeah maybe at home im looking to work in more sequence based production that the DT/OT has to offer. I love the portability of the OP-1 so I’ll never fully replace it.

Maybe I’m looking at this totally wrong and should go more in-depth with another synth. Just trying to get some opinions.

+2 on @Callofthevoid’s initial response on OT \OP-1 forever.end all GAS.
’ Though I love the kaoss pad mini 2 for price,performance and superior disto and other fx in a portable size.

After all the info in this thread and insight from @callofthevoid I have firmly decided on the Octatrack. Also, a video from Cuckoo pushed me over the edge. I’m excited to explore this combination! Thanks all for your input.

https://youtu.be/NrhPOGzn7LI

What’s the experience of working together with Analog 4 and OP-1?

I only bought the OP1 yesterday so haven’t had a chance to use the Digi + OP1, but can vouch for the Digitakt. Amazing bit of kit

My setup atm is OP1, Oto Biscuit, SP-404sx and iPad/iPhone loaded with music apps. They’re sampling and processing each other until I feel done. I’m GASing for a Digitakt too. And Maschine mk3 (but I would need a new laptop).

I was looking into the SP-404sx because I saw that it samples and sequences too. I feel like at its core it is similar to the DT. Maybe its fair to say its the DT of that time period when it first came out? So def if I want to save money I will go the SP-404sx or Electribe Sampler route. Thanks for your input!

I have a Sp404SX and a Digitakt. They are very different things.
The Digitakt is something else, everytime I sit infront of it I get a beat going.
Here’s a beat all on the Digitakt, the Sp404 is only being used as a master FX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5tfDfd5gAw