Why use the Synth Sampler when the Drum Sampler is better?

Hello,

The Drum Sampler is a far superior tool for sampling tuned instruments than the synth sampler. Instead of sampling a single note, you can sample almost a whole two-octave range, and adjust the split points so that the correct pitches align with they keyboard. I was able to sample my grand piano this way and get something sounding far better than a single note transposed up and down.

Why, therefore, would an OP-1 user employ the Synth Sampler in preference to the Drum Sampler?

Thanks!

Probably because it takes 6> seconds to chromatically map a sample using Synth Sampler (as it does it automatically). Multi-sampling using the drum sampler takes far longer. Also, with the 12 seconds for the drum sampler, if you spread that across the entire 25 keys you’d get less than half a second per key, which is not enough for anything other than strikes or un-sustained plucks

TLDR
Synth Sampler - quick and easy chromatic sampling, can sound unnatural
Drum sampler - longer to set up, can sound unnatural

I use both and like both

It’s not better. It’s just different and serves different purposes. The Synth Sampler recognizes embedded loop points when importing samples. Very good for sustained sounds.

It’s really down to what you need at the moment. If you have up to 24 short, chromatic one-shots that don’t add up to 12 seconds, the Drum Sampler would be a good choice. However, if your sample needs to be longer and pre-looped, the Synth Sampler is probably the better choice.

(your grand piano must have a very short release time if you fit multiple samples into the 12 seconds of a single Drum Sampler file)

Yeah you can create more interesting sustained ambient keys w/ the synth sampler.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your thoughts.

The 12-second time limit is indeed a limitation, and i had to time my samples very carefully to get as much sustain as i could in the 24 notes. However, i did feel as though this gave me a better result than a single note transposed up and down chromatically. (which sounds highly unnatural)

Sure, multisampled sounds are far more effective when sampling acoustic and electro-acoustic sources and if it fits in the space allotted, there is no reason not to use the Drum Sampler.

One of the things I really like about the OP-1 is that its sample limitations forces me to think about sampling the way i had to back in the mid-1980s, when onboard RAM was measured in kilobytes. Back then, we’d rarely have the luxury of multisampling and it was usually reserved to building drum kits. However, such limitations forced creativity - much like the OP-1 does. Thank goodness (and TE) that the Op-1 is a heck of a lot easier to use than, say, an Ensoniq Mirage with its hexadecimal display.

(as an aside, I just spent a few days sampling into my ancient PPG Waveterm. The samples were super-limited, as it was connected to my Wave 2.2, which has a very, very limited sample-playback facility)

fwiw, u can use some old school techniques to fit more than 12 seconds into one patch.

speed up your samples before sampling or importing via drum utility
then pitch them back down in the drum sampler to original pitch.

classic mid 1980s move right there.

There’s anti aliasing filters on the synth so it sounds smooth when playing speeded up samples unnaturally slow.
The drum sampler gives freq shift FX when using @docshermsticks technique at the extreme.
In theory synth is better quality ,but that drum sample freq FX can sound cool.try resamples at extreme speed changes via tape.

The looping is superior on synth.plus synth envelope.

I love and use both. Unnatural doesn’t necessarily = bad. :slight_smile:

Being able to set the loop return point on the synth engine is crucial to certain tasks. Also, no pitch bend on the drum sampler.

i’m the opposite. the drum sampler is…meh. it sounds flat and is pretty featureless compared to my other samplers.
but i like the synth sampler – my analogue synths sound really good when sampled into the synth sampler.

I love it. Drums sound crunchy AF in the drum sampler.

Yes -no pitch bend is a shame.
No fine tune and no sketch pitch.
Also no mono,uni,legato.

I love it. Drums sound crunchy AF in the drum sampler.
I sampled some drums in tonight from the Digitakt, had overdrive on the Digtakt at about 70%.
They sounded great sampled into the OP1

Love the drum sampler but jeez what is up with that envelope? Anyone learned to love it?

1 Like
fwiw, u can use some old school techniques to fit more than 12 seconds into one patch.

speed up your samples before sampling or importing via drum utility
then pitch them back down in the drum sampler to original pitch.

classic mid 1980s move right there.

I rarely read a post by this guy without gleaning some amazing new insight. Kudos!

Love the drum sampler but jeez what is up with that envelope? Anyone learned to love it?

I wouldn’t say I love it so much as it’s still functional, and you get some fun results.

I like it, definitely designed for drum envelopes though.

I love both, very diff applications. In regards to 12 seconds on 25 keys (drum samp) I use all that extra real estate for backwards trigs and pitch shifted trigs

Sampled my aunty’s piano. Wildly hitting all 24 keys in 12 seconds is fun. I think skipping keys might get better results. Ie. Hit just white keys and pitch the rest. Or even just hit black keys. Or one octave of real samples, then pitch second octave. Allows for longer samples. Or you could have an octave of hard and an octave of soft strikes in one patch. Fun to experiment with.