Octatrack mk2 - vs original & price differential

Soooo, I guess I was deep in the middle of a 6 month contract when the mk2 was announced. Only just noticed it was a thing.

Does anyone have the skinny on whether the mk2 resolves the issues of the mk1? Or is the mk1 now a lot cheaper and the thing to get?

I know I could do a bunch of my own research, but I am also aware that a few peeps on here are OC die-hards. I’ve had my eye on them for a while, now the mk2 might be my impetus to take the plunge… Thing is, the dang thing looks so deep that I just get a bit overwhelmed every time I look into it… Also, I’ve been getting more into ableton controllerism-ish stuff, and I don’t know if the OC (mk1 or 2) will help me consolidate and “perfect” my creative / performative process… Then again, it might be inspiring and fun enough to make those points moot.

Any wisdom is appreciated… I’m 100% on opz, and now that it’s not out yet, maybe I’m just getting antsy.

<3

The differences between the two are slight - there are the cosmetic changes, and the new one has slightly better audio inputs. However, they run the same OS (which is being released for the Mk I very soon), so functionally they are identical. If you like the new look and want those extra few buttons, you’ll want the new one. However, you may be able to get a new MkI for less money. I like the new look and I like the extra buttons, so I will likely get a MkII eventually, but I’m not in any hurry since it doesn’t offer features that my MkI won’t have when the new firmware is released.

The differences between the two are slight - there are the cosmetic changes, and the new one has slightly better audio inputs. However, they run the same OS (which is being released for the Mk I very soon), so functionally they are identical. If you like the new look and want those extra few buttons, you'll want the new one. However, you may be able to get a new MkI for less money. I like the new look and I like the extra buttons, so I will likely get a MkII eventually, but I'm not in any hurry since it doesn't offer features that my MkI won't have when the new firmware is released.

For reals!? That is really surprising!

I wonder how much the mk1 price will be affected.

I’ll look into which buttons were added.

Thanks so much for the info :slight_smile:

There are only a few of new buttons - one is for Rec 3, which is nice. Another one that looks good takes you to the audio editor and slice grid - something that always seemed unintuitive on the MkI model. Not so much that I’m rushing out to buy a MkII - still, I won’t rule it out. I have a Digitakt as well and quite like the new overall feel and style, so I’ll probably replace my MkI eventually.

There are only a few of new buttons - one is for Rec 3, which is nice. Another one that looks good takes you to the audio editor and slice grid - something that always seemed unintuitive on the MkI model. Not so much that I'm rushing out to buy a MkII - still, I won't rule it out. I have a Digitakt as well and quite like the new overall feel and style, so I'll probably replace my MkI eventually.

Thanks man. I never heard of record 3. I’ll have to look into that too :slight_smile: appreciate your wisdom on this.

Rec 1 and 2 are for sampling the external inputs, while Rec 3 is for resampling internally from the Octatrack itself.

The more re-sampling I do, the moee I love it. Therefore I love this rec 3 function :slight_smile:

Rest assured, resampling is available on the MkI, too - it just doesn’t have a dedicated button. And it is loads of fun to use!

I wonder how much better the flow is with the dedicated buttons.

Any seasoned OT users want to comment on the flow changes as @Eli5 mentioned?

I have a mate who is a hardcore OT mk1 user, he said the extra buttons would save a few combo’s/presses but nothing too serious. More concerning is the flakiness of the older models compared to the new ones - seems a lot of broken “func” buttons, which are used for 90% of combos

Haven’t used the mkii but owned mki for couple of years. If I was buying new i’d go for mkii just because the parts will probably be around for longer in case you need any replacement. Besides that I see both versions as pretty equal, OG possibly the better buy overall if can get a good price. I never had issue with the inputs or ‘sound’ of mki and the original shortcuts are easy enough to add to muscle memory.

Things to consider that have different pros/cons are pretty trivial but seem to be -

-Back lit buttons vs LEDs that are still visible when fingers hovering over bugtons.
-Sharper display that flickers (apparently?) vs lo-def mki display. (edit - apparently this reported flickering isn’t an issue unless you’re filming the screen. And even then it’s minimal).
-New knobs that go from 0-max in one turn vs old knobs that are easier for precision (apparently?) but often need ‘push + turn’ in order to go from min-max in one turn, resulting in stepping.
-improved headroom on inputs. I never had a problem with the OG ones but apparently many people did.
-smoother cross-fader vs not so smooth. Will be down to user pref which grip/travel they prefer.
-new aesthetic vs OG aesthetic.
-reports of ‘func’ buttons dying on mki (tho I never had any problem or noticed an outcry on elektronauts.com) vs reports of the new buttons sticking (this is from reports on Digitakt tho. Maybe Elektron refined for OT?).

As an aside… Just noticed it looks like Elektron/Cenk are vaguely charging £ for tutorial vids now? Ugh. That company :confused:

Roundup of MkII vs. OG OT comparisons:

http://cdm.link/newswires/original-octatrack-owners-get-mkii-features/

I don’t see any sign of making the audio slicing workflow faster for live work, but the promise of trig conditions looks cool.

The added button speeds it up, but only a little.

Still, A single button for Audio Editor, accessible irrespective of which page you are accessing it from, that one change has made the MKII noticeably more intuitive.

I’ve gotten on with the MKII much quicker in the last 4 days than the week I had a borrowed MKI a year or so ago.

Good info in dis here thread. Thanks for sharing folks.

I took the plunge on the MK2 having only had experience on my friend’s MK1 beforehand, and had already fallen in love with it.
I actually really like the new screen on the MK2. It’s incredibly crisp, and I feel like I’m able to scroll through samples in the audio editor quicker with more focus and scrutiny. I also like the change of the form factor, it feels like I’m getting a lot more visual feedback, and am more aware of what is going on within my projects with the backlit keys. I thought I’d throw those two subtle points out there as it’s not something I initially considered to make much of a difference, yet feels so much tighter. With the introduction of the better workflow, the machine feels SO much more well rounded than I first thought it would.

I agree.

It’s a different experience with the MKII. More refined. Less opaque.

re: Dataline’s tutorial vid. It cost me about $6.50 and was very informative. I was happy to support him. I’ll take my lunch to work tomorrow instead to cover the $$.

yeah I don’t see a problem with him selling a tutorial video. I don’t think it has anything to do with Elektron profiting from it anyway?

@adamjay Workflow/functionality looks almost identical to me? The mkii AED button for example that you’re hyped on, seems just same as ‘track + edit’ combo on mki, no? Maybe I’m missing something?

Obvs mkii is slightly easier to learn and a little more refined (tho tbh I’d say stuff like understanding Parts/trig types/Rec buffers and the nuances of using the different track types etc is the trickiest part of OT for someone that’s new to it… Not the button combos) but I’m not seeing/hearing any legit advance so far over the mki that translate to long term doing anything significantly faster or better? Fwiw if they’d added more outputs or updated cpu for a bunch of new fx (Sp404 style…) and/or polyphonic tracks (korg es2 style), internal 8 X stems rendering etc I’d have leapt on an OT mkii…

Mki is for sure a RTFM/learn muscle memory box. Maybe people have to do that slightly less so on mkii? That’s a good thing but not worth the approx £600+ that buying a used mki would save atm imo. I’d rather spend that dough on other gear to pair with a mki. Obvs YMMV. Guessing Elektron forum moderators like yourself get artist pricing (or at least they should do…) which would make a mkii purchase a little more attractive vs current mki bargains tho.

If money’s no object then yeah, for sure mkii is way to go, but I can’t really see logic in it otherwise. Maybe some vids will show up that highlight some significant workflow/experience benefits that I’ve not seen yet tho.

Lol at buying the Dataline tutorial video. Surely with him being on the Elektron payroll you already supported him by buying an OT? and its Elektron’s place to pay him for making tutorial videos that are public domain for all new users, not locked down? At least that feels like it would be the cool/generous/traditional thing for them to do… Dealing with Neutron these days tho…

It is just a shame those videos are hidden behind walls. Elektron / Dataline’s quick workflow and overview videos for products like Machinedrum and Monomachine were huge in selling me on those machines and helping me get off the ground quickly once I got them. But I had been watching them for weeks (especially Monomachine) before I made such a purchase. I still point people to those YouTube videos today.

So it’s a shame that any good company-made in-depth tutorial / exploration is hidden from the world.

That said, I do appreciate the MK1 videos they have - a nice collection of short (2-4 minute) things on YouTube for the OT specifically.