Hardware solution for playing back 4 channels (two stereo) at once?

Hey guys,

I am looking about for a hardware solution for playing back 4 channels of audio (two stereo channels) at once. I have been bringing my laptop to gigs and doing this from ableton, but since i am not using any of Abletons other functions, and reliability / aesthetic issues around a laptop live i have been looking for alternatives.

My first thought was a sampler, but apart from an MPC1000 and octatrack, i cant find anything that had 4 outs. I dont need any functionality beyond playback, so all the extra features / filters / effects in most samplers are wasted money however. I would ideally love something that i can just cue up files, hit play and forget :smiley:

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

T

There was a similar thread on the llllll forum recently, where people recommended, among other things, getting an old tape deck with 4 outs. =)

I use AUM on an iPad & iConnect Audio 4+ for a similar purpose, couldn't bother (re-)buying Octatrack just for that. =) AUM has great sync options too.

Also, you could get a Raspberry Pi + audio interface (e.g. Audio Injector Octo).

Another alternative is to get a digital multitrack device like Zoom LiveTrak L-12 or something else with enough separate outs. The 4-track tape deck is the coolest answer to your question, I think. Just switch cassettes between tracks. =)

If you’re a modular user, Thonk’s Radio Music is one alternative as well, but those are mono unfortunately. I don’t think the sync would be tight enough for stereo playback with two of them, but what do I know.

all u need is 4 outs? what about a small mixer?

i have a mackie 4 channel that has a stereo master out and tape out

edit: oh shoot just realized thats only two.
theres gotta be a small mixer out there w/ 4 separate outs tho

Could be overkill, and I have no experience with this, but what about https://www.cymaticaudio.com/products/recorders-players/live-player-lp16

Could be overkill, and I have no experience with this, but what about https://www.cymaticaudio.com/products/recorders-players/live-player-lp16

I hate that my brain is now aware that this contraption exists.

Cheers guys!

@vehka - yeah, i was thinking of the modular options, there is the Asylum RECORD module that does stereo file playback, i could potentially sync up two of those…

@docshermsticks - i need 4 playing out, so 4 separate channels of audio. I have a dual stereo rotary mixer i’m using for the main mixing and need a way to play audio into it!

@johnl - actually looks pretty good! Thanks for the link. I mean, aesthetics of why it exists are horrible, but seems pretty perfect for DJ style sets :smiley:

Just get a mixer with 4 inputs and a stereo Aux out. Send signals 1 & 2 via the main output, route your signals 3 & 4 via the Aux out. Job done!

The cheap Behringer 802’s can do this, about $50 second hand

I’ve been tempted by the recorder version of this just because it seems to be a 16-input USB interface in one box. Does anyone have experience with these?

yea i read it a lil fast and misinterpreted…why do u need 4 outs? if u are just summing them to 2 at your mixer.

just trying to understand better.
if u could get away w/ 2 outs from the jump
and maybe mix your sounds ITB or something
your options would be more vast.

@docshermsticks - agreed it has a lot more options and is what i am doing at the moment, but im actually trying to get completely out of the box here because at the moment the only thing i am doing with Ableton is playing back two streams of audio!