OP1 Desk Stand

Hey Operators,

I’ve been lurking around for a few weeks and thought I’d finally join the forum and introduce myself and my recent project.

I am based in Melbourne Australia and I’ve been making music ever since I installed Fruity Loops and Sound Forge on my old Pentium III. Over the last 2-3 years I’ve been inspired by by a good handful of OP1 users on youtube and Instagram. Most recently RMS has been posting some pretty incredible performances that finally pushed me over the edge. So, took a deep breath and put one of my guitars up for sale to help fund the purchase. It’s been in my hands for about 2 months now and damn it…I love this little sweetheart. It’s so quirky and full of character. It manages to bring about unexpected results and forces you forget about being “perfect”. Very Zen like.

After a week of using it, with my neck crocked over the my table I decided I needed to make a stand for it. Inspired by the mixingtable design, I put this bad boy together. It makes it much easier to use at the desk over longer periods. Tasmanian Oak and leather wrap…

1 Like

Neat!

I like it.

looks like this one: http://www.mixingtable.com/op-1-desk-stand (a little bit)

I am still thinking if the ikea bräda would also do the job: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/60150176/

Or a simple wooden block cut with the right angle. What angle does yours have?
I am still thinking if the ikea bräda would also do the job: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/60150176/

Or a simple wooden block cut with the right angle. What angle does yours have?

Yeah it was indeed inspired by the mixingtable design and has the same 15 degree angle. It feel just about right. If you have it pushed further in front of you a slightly steeper angle would work better.

I personally don’t think the IKEA stand would work very well, but it would depend on what you wanted it to do. If you didn’t want the wrist rest you could look at the little easel like stands they have on thingiverse. Or, like you suggested, just cut and angle into a solid piece of wood.

Damn, that’s dope as hell.

I have a bräda for my Push. The lip on the front is big enough that when I put a Traktor S2 on it instead of the Push, I have to wedge something maybe 1-2cm thick under the S2 else the headphone jack and knobs don’t see over the lip. So I think that it would be a bit too tall a lip for op-1 comfort. (I’m not at home right now to look). Ikea also makes a tablet stand that is similar to the bräda but scaled down, it’s not quite as wide as the OP but probably perfect. I have a cardboard + rubber sticky mat stand for OP+PO+monotron now, and I plan to take the sticky pads and put them on the ikea tablet stand instead when I get a chance to pick one up. It won’t look nearly as nice as this work of art though.

Yes, I also wanted the bräda for my push, but it will also fit nicely with the op-1 and it could even be a kind of skiff case for any eurorack module on top if you cut a hole in the upper part, i.e. for the mother 23 …

@crabolsky said:
Hey Operators, I’ve been lurking around for a few weeks and thought I’d finally join the forum and introduce myself and my recent project.
…I am based in Melbourne Australia
…,After a week of using it, with my neck crocked over the my table I decided I needed to >make a stand for it. Inspired by the mixingtable design, I put this bad boy together. It >makes it much easier to use at the desk over longer periods. Tasmanian Oak and leather wrap…

This is so great! I’m also in Melbourne and am notoriously lazy & certainly not as skilled with woodworking as you. Could I commission one of these from you please? :smiley:

@ArtPunk said:

@crabolsky said:
Hey Operators, I’ve been lurking around for a few weeks and thought I’d finally join the forum and introduce myself and my recent project.
…I am based in Melbourne Australia
…,After a week of using it, with my neck crocked over the my table I decided I needed to >make a stand for it. Inspired by the mixingtable design, I put this bad boy together. It >makes it much easier to use at the desk over longer periods. Tasmanian Oak and leather wrap…

This is so great! I’m also in Melbourne and am notoriously lazy & certainly not as skilled with woodworking as you. Could I commission one of these from you please? ?

I also live in melbourne and am no good at making woodwork this nice, I am also interested in commissioning one from you, hopefully if both me and ArtPunk got one it would be more worthwhile for you :smiley:

Hey Guys, good to see some more Melbourne based operators. Thanks for the compliment with offers to build more of these :slight_smile: I actually mostly built this one with hand tools so it would be too much of an undertaking right now with my limited space.

I think I actually modeled this up in 3d before building it, so I’ll happily before some details on how to build your own. Give me a few days and I’ll comeback with an update.

@crabolsky said:
Hey Guys, good to see some more Melbourne based operators. Thanks for the compliment with offers to build more of these :slight_smile: I actually mostly built this one with hand tools so it would be too much of an undertaking right now with my limited space.

I think I actually modeled this up in 3d before building it, so I’ll happily before some details on how to build your own. Give me a few days and I’ll comeback with an update.

Thanks crabolsky! Totally understood re: limited space, resources and time etc. It’s really is a nice idea and execution. My grandfather was a shipwright and excellent carpenter by trade and some of my fondest childhood memories are of the smell of freshly cut wood, so I really appreciate nice woodwork and functional but also aesthetic design. :slight_smile:

@crabolsky said:

Would be cool if you share the files. Would you?

Side template with measurements attached. I have a zip file is the quick 3d model I created but I can’t seem to upload to the site. Anyway I hope the template helps.

1 Like

@crabolsky said:
Side template with measurements attached. I have a zip file is the quick 3d model I created but I can’t seem to upload to the site. Anyway I hope the template helps.

You are a star! Thanks!

@ArtPunk @dinraum I am looking at selling the attached stand if you are interested? Tassie oak and soft leather palm rest. I don’t have a price in mind, maybe just PM with an offer. Based in Melbourne but will ship in needed in Australia.

Hi mate. Thanks for getting in touch. Yes I would be interested. I banged one up myself, but it’s not as nice as yours! I have no idea how much to offer/how much it is worth to you in regards to time and materials, but I do know at this time of year my budget is probably around $50 for any extra goodies for myself.
I hope you & your loved ones are having a healthy, happy holiday period.

Cameron

Thanks mate, happy holidays to you! Yeah, the stand was a labor of love and I wouldn’t be selling it if I wasn’t putting the op1 up for sale (which is a tough decision in itself)! I was thinking somewhere close enough to $50 so shoot me a PM message with where you are at and we can work out timing on the other side of Christmas.

Sorry for the delay replying! Such a crazy time of year. I hope you had a good Christmas. I am in the Dandenong Ranges. Happy to meet whenever/wherever suits us both. If we don’t get a chance to communicate before the New Year I hope you stay cool, safe and have fun!
Cheers,
Cameron