Looping tracks from OP-1 in Ableton

I’d like to put the tracks from OP-1 into Ableton and slice them into clips so that I can arrange the song more freely.

However, I’m yet to make Ableton not touch the tracks. I’ve read those two threads from the Ableton forum:

1. https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94492
2. https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75828

I used the advice from the second thread which is to have one track with the looped sound warped by Ableton and a second track unwarped, but also inverted in phase – if both tracks are identical, you should hear silence, as the tracks will cancel out each other.

I feel very frustrated because I just can’t tell Ableton “Take this .aif file, it’s 83 BPM, loop it between bars 3 and 5” – as far as I understand, this is what the tape mode on OP-1 is doing, but in Ableton you can’t simply loop unwarped clips for some technical reasons.

But I know that many people here use OP-1 along with Ableton, so I’d love to know how you folks manage to loop tracks from OP-1 in Ableton.

Maybe I don’t understand what you’re trying to do but i just bring the loops from the tape and put it on ableton.

If i was working at 85 bpm then i just dial that into ableton and if i wanted to loop a small section within one of the tapes I just clip where I want it to begin and end.

That’s what I’m trying to do! I drag the track file into Ableton. However, there’s always a difference between timing in Ableton and timing in OP-1.

For example, I know that my track in OP-1 consists of 4 bars repeated over and over again (by lifting and putting those 4 bars back on the tape). So I drag the track into Ableton, loop the first four bars and also add a second track which plays the same clip, but unwarped and it’s inverted in phase. And the timing’s always off, there’s always a slight difference, the two tracks never cancel each other out. :frowning: Well, they cancel out each other until the first track loops over and then I can hear the difference.

I just want the timing in Ableton to be exactly the same as on OP-1.

Maybe try setting your bpm in ableton before you drag the aif file in.

The BPM of my project matches the one on OP-1.

I think my problem comes from the fact that OP-1 is not 100% accurate when it comes to lifting and dropping bars.I often saw that even though I was using shift + arrows, the sound on the track ended a few milliseconds after or before the bar.

Anyway, since I got frustrated with Ableton, I went looking at other DAWs and I found out that Reaper’s model matches the OP-1’s tape recorder more closely, so there’s a huge chance I’ll stick with it for now.