Brazilian Singer-songwriter fully records his songs on OP-1

Yes I’m talking about myself but it just sounds better in third person hahah

Here’s a mixtape I just put on YouTube:

You’re welcome to like my page too:

Any feedback is more than welcome, obrigado!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow man. That just blew my frickin’ mind. I’ve only had my OP-1 for a short while and it’s my first foray into synths so I thought I would get it because it did a lot of things in a very portable package. I generally play guitar and use a multitrack recorder for writing but really wanted to use the OP-1 when I’m out and about. I grew up recording on a four track I garbage picked and repaired when I was 12. I thought the OP-1 would be right up my alley with it having four tracks. I’ve been racking my brain to try to figure out how exactly to record longer passages on it than the sample length let’s you. You’ve seemed to hit the nail on the head. Don’t know why it hasn’t occurred to me before but just listening to your music seems to have inspired me.

Your music is absolutely beautiful. It reminds me a bit of Ween and early Beck when he was recording on a four track. Just amazing. Is there anywhere I could find an album?

Very nice! Curious how you recorded on OP1. I’ve tried using the onboard mic to op tape tracks and its way too noisey for most situations (picks up electrical/cpu noise… Weirdly I don’t get this when I use it to record to synth/drum sampler… Only when to tape). Did you use an external mic? Either way, good stuff dude! Nice songs/vibe.

It does sound so much better in 3rd person #socialmediapromohacks

Excited to hear this when I have headphones.

Hit us up with some details on the recording process. Most people on this site are die-hard op1 nerds (myself included)… So I’m sure there’d be wide interest.

Ace melodies my friend!

very nice! could you tell us about your process?

Wow! Just saw the replies, thanks for the compliments you guys!

So, recording process:
synths and drums - well, just tweaking and recording to tape, as usual.
guitars and voice - using a Cube street(which has many effects, and its great for someone on a budget hahah), line out from the amp, straight to the op1. First the guitars, then the voice.

I usually lay the drums first, then record the guitar, find some interesting bass lines(sometimes with the guitar, sometimes with the OP1, record them all. Then record voice for the whole song, then do it again for backing vocals. Now… We only have 4 tracks, so once the song is more or less ready and I got no more tracks, what I do is save the tape to the computer, in case I fuck up anything, theres a backup =D

If I havent been clear hit me up! Ill be glad to share what I know

Wow man. That just blew my frickin' mind. I've only had my OP-1 for a short while and it's my first foray into synths so I thought I would get it because it did a lot of things in a very portable package. I generally play guitar and use a multitrack recorder for writing but really wanted to use the OP-1 when I'm out and about. I grew up recording on a four track I garbage picked and repaired when I was 12. I thought the OP-1 would be right up my alley with it having four tracks. I've been racking my brain to try to figure out how exactly to record longer passages on it than the sample length let's you. You've seemed to hit the nail on the head. Don't know why it hasn't occurred to me before but just listening to your music seems to have inspired me.

Your music is absolutely beautiful. It reminds me a bit of Ween and early Beck when he was recording on a four track. Just amazing. Is there anywhere I could find an album?

Hey Carson, thanks for the compliments!! I will definitely check out those artists =)

No Album, but soon enough there will be and I’ll upload here. There’s some new stuff on youtube, check it out!

Sounds great man

Great sounding and great lyrics also, Gabriel! Very well done.

Gostei muito da sua música, obrigado por compartilhar!

…also want to say how much I love your recording.

Keep it up!

Hi Gabriel. Great sound. So, how did you record the vocals exactly? “Line out from the amp”: so what mic were you using into the amp? And did you use any OP-1 effects on the vocal? I’m guessing too that for the recording you just plug the Cube Street output into the OP-1 line in and then play for the duration of the whole track. So you record the drums for the whole track length and then play the guitar and sing for that whole track length? Thanks. I’m one of the OP-1 nerds (! like ludicrouSpeed said) and people’s process with the instrument always interests me! You’ve ended up with a recording that sounds really good. Man, I love the OP-1!

Sounds great man

Thanks <3

Great sounding and great lyrics also, Gabriel! Very well done.

Gostei muito da sua música, obrigado por compartilhar!

Valeu !! Sempre posto musica nova la no canal, da uma olhada =D

...also want to say how much I love your recording.

Keep it up!

Thanks a lot I keep creating, theres a lot on my channel. I always produce the songs only on my OP 1! =D

Hi Gabriel. Great sound. So, how did you record the vocals exactly? "Line out from the amp": so what mic were you using into the amp? And did you use any OP-1 effects on the vocal? I'm guessing too that for the recording you just plug the Cube Street output into the OP-1 line in and then play for the duration of the whole track. So you record the drums for the whole track length and then play the guitar and sing for that whole track length? Thanks. I'm one of the OP-1 nerds (! like ludicrouSpeed said) and people's process with the instrument always interests me! You've ended up with a recording that sounds really good. Man, I love the OP-1!

Shure SM58 on the line in to amp. In some I used the effects on the cube. and usually OP1 fx on instruments or master. Sometimes I play for the whole track but I do loop from time to time. Thanks for the complement Nomad!! =D I love it too!

Thats the last thing I produced on my OP1

https://youtu.be/NNGTxBgQr2I

very nice

like juan wauters and jerry paper had a lovechild

subscribed !

Awesome!!

Love it dude!

Confused though you can record line in right to tape at length? I thought there was a short time limit for sampling?