New OP-1 suddenly stops recharging. (using wall socket). any suggestions please.

OP-1 brand new last week. Unit starts charging, then suddenly stops charging (no green lights) It does this several times during a single charge. Switching on the unit to check, the battery shows just 3 green lights.

Have swapped the USB lead, swapped the USB charger, problem persists. Trying again for third time, propped the unit against the wall while charging so I can see when the green lights stop flickering. Just saw 'em show a quick, steady green and red light then all lights went off.

Updated the firmware today but had noticed this anomaly before the upgrade, but it seems to be getting more regular. Carried out a full factory reset before upgrading OS.
PS using a wall socket to recharge, switched wall sockets too, just to be sure. Not using the computer to charge unit, thank-you

UPDATE: Just watched the green charging lights go out again after 15 minutes, all dead. Again when I switch on the unit and press the help bubble, it shows batteries level at 3 green lights. Using a third USB now just to be sure (it works fine with Kindle, Drum pad controller, etc). Hope there’s some little trick I’m missing here due to ignorance.
2ND UPDATE: After another factory reset, YES! - switched on and showing fully charged (all the green lights plus red one). Now need to use some battery and see if it stops charging again. Decksaver coming tomorrow - that would a bummer if the unit was returned to dealer, eh. Cheers me. Okay me, don’t mention it. :slight_smile:

Seems like the battery meter of your OP-1 needs to be calibrated. The manual says you need to let the OP-1’s battery run empty (until the screen goes dark). Then, keeping it switched ON, charge for about 6 hours. After that, the battery meter will act correctly - at least for some time. :wink:

Seems like the battery meter of your OP-1 needs to be calibrated. The manual says you need to let the OP-1’s battery run empty (until the screen goes dark). Then, keeping it switched ON, charge for about 6 hours. After that, the battery meter will act correctly - at least for some time. :wink:

Much obliged, motone. Thanks for your prompt, been digging and see this is an evergreen issue.

Just matter of letting the batteries drain, eh. Think I’ll leave it on Synth, since that drunken matchstick man seems to be moving around a bit - maybe to avoid screen burn? thanks. Note to myself, write a note to yourself: DON’T SWITCH IT OFF!

No need to force it to drain, just use it the normal way until it goes into battery coma (may be a bit annoying when it happens during an important recording session).

I find DNA or WAVE with the RANDOM LFO, sequenced by ENDLESS is a good screensaver. You can also to add FX and the master section EQ / FX DRIVE to stress the CPU, but I don’t know if it really shortens the battery time.

Thanks again, motone, good stuff.

if you can stand it, I think the battery drains significantly faster when you’ve got the internal speaker turned up…

if you can stand it, I think the battery drains significantly faster when you've got the internal speaker turned up...

thanks beefinator, that’s a neat idea. I’ll opt for the headphones version of that suggestion as I haven’t yet justified this purchase to my kinfolk. Shhhh! :slight_smile:

This single blinking green dot refuses to die - might need to beat it with a stick. Must say I’m impressed by the battery life of the OP-1, - great for a day by the river. cheers.

UPDATE: Yes, yes I saw it. I saw it go! My OP-1 screen finally went black!. Ha! - thank the Lord - I’m so happy! Hugs 4 all! Flap flap, what do I do now, … phone somebody… get the manual…deep breaths… phew! …

…Now, according to motone leave the OP-1 switched on, check. Okay, now plug in my USB charger (from the wall, not the computer) and wait a few hours. …Just need to sit down… yes, a sip of water would be good, thank-you…
NEXT DAY UPDATE:
Fully recharged last night, then used up a partial charge today playing around with Tombola and Tape. (down to 3 greens)

Recharged it couple of hours and now shows (via pressing the Help button) full charge again. Put it back on charge to see if those little charging lights will eventually go out, but the green dots are still climbing. Will leave it charging until green charging lights go out. Using USB charger from the wall. Phew - almost there, eh!

SAME DAY BUT LATER - UPDATE: That’s it. The little green lights just went out, now fully charged (and so am I). Amen. Much obliged to this great forum. Cheers.

Seems like the battery meter of your OP-1 needs to be calibrated. The manual says you need to let the OP-1's battery run empty (until the screen goes dark). Then, keeping it switched ON, charge for about 6 hours. After that, the battery meter will act correctly - at least for some time. ;)

“Then, keeping it switched ON”

@motone, can you cite your source for that guidance please? Thx.

CB

Seems like the battery meter of your OP-1 needs to be calibrated. The manual says you need to let the OP-1's battery run empty (until the screen goes dark). Then, keeping it switched ON, charge for about 6 hours. After that, the battery meter will act correctly - at least for some time. ;)

“Then, keeping it switched ON”

@motone, can you cite your source for that guidance please? Thx.

CB

@cloudburst
Not OP, but according to TE’s help section:
“to recalibrate the battery meter please do the following:
disconnect USB, turn your unit on and leave it on until it turns off by itself. do not manually turn off the unit. this could take up to 18 hours. the unit is off when the screen has turned black.
after this, charge it fully using a computer or any standard USB charger. this can take about 2.5 - 6 hours depending on your situation. (the battery is 1800mA). this should recalibrate the battery indicator.”

It doesn’t say to turn the power switch to the off position, so doing so would be not accutately following directions that are fairly clear. It states “do not manually turn off the unit.”

I believe the direction not to manually turn off the unit simply refers to the draining process. I believe it’s a mis-interpretation to apply this to the charging process. Buy hey, what do I know? lol

CB