sequencing external gear question...again

Hello, I understand there are other posts about this topic. My apologies if this question ruins your day.

I understand about how the op-1 sends out clock etc. What I am not sure of is what exactly is being sent out note wise, on what channel etc. from the sequencers. I mean I have seen some videos of people sequencing moogs or whatever using endless and their output going back into the op-1. In my mind I just can’t understand how this could happen without hearing the output of a drum or synth channel. Do you need to create a patch where you can’t hear the drum or synth engine i.e. adsr parameters to zero no fx etc.

Sorry, for the rather simple question. Just curious. I’m playing around with the idea of getting ms20min and fulfilling a childhood dream I had and wanted to know how I would do this

cheers

This is done by using a drum or synth sample patch of sampled silence. So… make a patch that’s silent… sequence away… route it back in!

I thougtht it was something along those lines. Thank you so much mrbernard!

don’t sleep on layering both of your sounds together too!

using op1 synth and external synth at the same time to create super sounds.

Since only one sequencer channel can be running, I just turn down the volume of the OP-1 if I’m using it to play something else. Downside of this is potentially losing any tape stuff you might want to have playing.

Note that the OP-1 has two modes for sending out MIDI - there’s the regular mode, where you’re playing the synths/sequencers normally and they’re sending out data about what is being played. This is the only way to use the OP-1’s sequencers with external gear. In this mode, if you don’t want the OP-1 to make sounds, you have to turn down the volume or use the ‘sampled silence’ trick.

To set the MIDI channel in this mode, hit ‘SHIFT’ and ‘COM’ to bring up the COM menu. Keep the ‘OP-1’ selection (button 1) highlighted. Shift + blue encoder sets the MIDI channel. You can also use this MIDI channel number to sequence the OP-1. See the OP-1 guide on ‘song rendering and connectivity’.

There’s also a ‘Controller Mode’, where the OP-1 acts purely as a MIDI controller. In this mode, all of the synth engines are turned off. But a downside of this mode is that the sequencers aren’t usable. In that ‘SHIFT+COM’ mode, button ‘2’ enables controller mode and the midi channel is on the ‘shift+green’ encoder this time.

But as others have said, having the OP-1 synths play at the same time it’s triggering another synth is really fun. I love playing an external mono synth with the Tombola sequencer and using a synth like ‘Digital’ on the OP-1 with some long release times in its envelope. The OP-1 notes stick around into a nice harmony while the external monosynth jumps around between notes.

FWIW I use Dr. Wave synth engine when sending midi to an external synth. It’s pretty easy to dial in silence on that engine, it displays a red horizontal line.

You can also just load up any sampler preset and turn down the sample volume temporarily (shift + red encoder, I think). No need to record a silent sample or fiddle with other engines… unless you want to :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the tips. Definitely, will be fun combing stuff to make “super sounds”. I can’t wait to run the dbox into that strange ms filter for op industrial sounds. For now just a dream. Thank you to all.

Since only one sequencer channel can be running, I just turn down the volume of the OP-1 if I'm using it to play something else. Downside of this is potentially losing any tape stuff you might want to have playing.

Note that the OP-1 has two modes for sending out MIDI - there's the regular mode, where you're playing the synths/sequencers normally and they're sending out data about what is being played. This is the only way to use the OP-1's sequencers with external gear. In this mode, if you don't want the OP-1 to make sounds, you have to turn down the volume or use the 'sampled silence' trick.

To set the MIDI channel in this mode, hit 'SHIFT' and 'COM' to bring up the COM menu. Keep the 'OP-1' selection (button 1) highlighted. Shift + blue encoder sets the MIDI channel. You can also use this MIDI channel number to sequence the OP-1. See the OP-1 guide on 'song rendering and connectivity'.

There's also a 'Controller Mode', where the OP-1 acts purely as a MIDI controller. In this mode, all of the synth engines are turned off. But a downside of this mode is that the sequencers aren't usable. In that 'SHIFT+COM' mode, button '2' enables controller mode and the midi channel is on the 'shift+green' encoder this time.

But as others have said, having the OP-1 synths play at the same time it's triggering another synth is really fun. I love playing an external mono synth with the Tombola sequencer and using a synth like 'Digital' on the OP-1 with some long release times in its envelope. The OP-1 notes stick around into a nice harmony while the external monosynth jumps around between notes.

What’s the cheapest way to connect the op1 to send midi out to another synth? I’ve seen USB to midi cables, but the mini USB jack on the op1 is stumping me. Is there an all in one solution or is it a question of adaptors?

https://www.modemachines.com/cerebel-usb-v2

This works well.

If you can solder you could get a MIDI enabled USB host board, all you’d need to do would be to hook up a MIDI jack and the right connections, could be done for £20 or so. I saw PDF of this a while back but can’t find it at the moment.

Here’s a link to the USB host board:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board-v2

You’d need to select the preinstalled MIDI firmware.

Or there’s this - £36:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter

Thanks, very appreciated