What is sampling going to be like?

Hi,

Does anyone have an idea what sampling is going to be like on the OP-Z? Sadly cucckoo’s unit didn’t have it implemented yet and from what I can see there is no audio-in. Just the microphone. Will we have to import samples via USB? Or only be able to record via mic? If so I am a bit disappointed.
It seems like an amazing unit, even if I am not interested in Video and CV…but sampling is essential to me.

I am a big fan of the POs so having a more tricked out step-sequencer seems good to me.
For now I am waiting for more info on the OP-Z and then I will decide if I am getting the OP-1 or the OP-Z.

Not sure if the opz will have sampling functions, from what I’ve heard it will be more like a tape recording thing, the same found in the op1

@DJ2D

From what I can see on TE’s website Instrument Track 4 is called sampler. Tape is on Track 11.
I hope they are not gonna change that…

Yeah but I thought it was internal resampling only… I may be wrong though

I wonder if the Bluetooth LE link is going to be used for audio in (via iPad etc)? Or the USB-C connection? Accepts class-compliant USB audio? That would be sweet.

So many questions. Also, the website says “release September 2017”. So time to start holding our breaths! =)

I see, I thought that is what the Tape track is doing. It has a buffer that is recording the last few seconds that are playing and can retrigger them in different tweaked ways.

Is there any info on the sampler out there? Other then there being one…

a sampler on the opz would be great of course, but since the op1 already comes with sampling, i’m not sure that they will allow external sampling on the opz… wait and see :slight_smile:

…as Trump would say: SO SAD!

I'm hoping sampling is included, however it may be a bit more fiddly without a screen than on OP1.

Even with a screen I remember the MPC500 being a bit of a chore to trunc samples as it was all numeric values. Chopping always works best with a visual aid of the soundwave you're chopping.

Even though Cuckoo did an hour long demonstration, and even though there are lots of details on TE's site, I'm still finding this thing to be a big mystery and I'm so excited for it to be released.

I really REALLY hope the price is going to be around 350 - 400, but we'll wait and see.

@domatron

I agree chopping on the 500 wasn’t too much fun.

It can be done better like on the SP404SX. The combination of mark button and dials to get the the start and end points right is perfect in my opinion. A screen isn’t necessary in that case and it feels very intuitive.

Yes we gotta wait and see…most likely a bit longer than september I am afraid.
I wonder if the Bluetooth LE link is going to be used for audio in (via iPad etc)? Or the USB-C connection? Accepts class-compliant USB audio? That would be sweet.

So many questions. Also, the website says "release September 2017". So time to start holding our breaths! =)

I guess that would be the idea…

Or is it maybe possible to have the audio out function as audio in? I have no clue if this is possible, but if so that could be a decision made to conserve space.

TE’s website now shows “release late 2017”…

TE's website now shows "release late 2017"…

:’(

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

says September

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z_preview
says late 2017

but I wouldn’t bet on a September release…

September is 17 days away…

Waiting for the “early 2018” announcement :slight_smile:

They did have a bunch of OP-Z’s on table at that Teenage Engineering Soundsystem event, just judging by the pictures TE shared of the event. Then again, they’ve had them on tables since NAMM 2016. But here’s hoping they’re getting close to finished.

Even if they’re not going to be available for a few more months, I would really love to see what the damn price is supposed to be.

Also - end of September is 46 days away :wink:

I m deciding to bump my own thread again…

Does anybody have new info on this? Do you think it will be similar to PO-33’s sampling functions? Meaning auto-slice across the keyboard and another mode for chromatic sampling?

I wonder if the great @cuckoo knows more about this :slight_smile:

@domatron
I agree chopping on the 500 wasn't too much fun.

It can be done better like on the SP404SX. The combination of mark button and dials to get the the start and end points right is perfect in my opinion. A screen isn't necessary in that case and it feels very intuitive.

Yes we gotta wait and see.....most likely a bit longer than september I am afraid.

Oh, I hated using those dials on the SP-404SX. As much fun as that device was, editing samples on it was a laborious task.

…okay, maybe the dials should have an extra shift-button, which changes the dials to go in bigger increments…that would have made it a lot better.