Whoever insinuated I was an idiot for...

... selling my OP-1 to fund an MPC Live (which was subsequently returned as DOA and replaced with a Digitakt), you were right.

I miss my OP-1 a lot :(

Just been looking at used OPs and they're now more expensive than when I sold mine not that long ago.

Might have to buy an OP-Z and see if that scratches my itch when they're released, but I still wish I hadn't sold my OP-1.

That is all.  Just needed to vent :)
«1

Comments

  • edited August 12
    We should pin this discussion at the very top, and move all regretting posts here ;)
  • I'm toying with the idea of selling mine since getting an iPad and discovering a world of sampling apps. But I just know I'll miss it
  • @lescour1 Totally same boat here man. Digging ipad a lot atm.. My brain's saying I should sell while prices are good and before I hit any hardware problems and it's in perfect condition.. Heart is saying keep it..

    Its still getting use on everything I've been recording tho (still love the sound and the immediacy/oddness of the sequencers etc) and its cool to sequence ipad apps with the Op1 sequencers/arp etc... but been a while since I picked it up to use it by itself.

    Gonna try and do something for the current battle and see if that rekindles how hyped I used to be on it...

  • The iPad is seductive, but a tricky mistress. I got addicted to a lot of apps - there are many cool ones, but it is hard to find elegant solutions for self-contained production like the OP-1. I'll be messing with a cool sample or something but ultimately will feel like I need to get the sounds off the iPad and work with them elsewhere. I guess the closest I come to making complete tracks is with the Korg Gadget app, which actually is pretty great, but you gotta purchase all the extra cool devices to get the most use out of it. Beatmaker 3 is very cool, but also at the end of the day is really just a sampler pretty much like any other.
  • Really thought of selling my OP-1 a few months ago as it had gone relatively unused since Machinedrum and Monomachine came into my life last year. Then I bought Circuit thinking it would be my 'portable Elektron style sequencing' box but.. I just put the Circuit up for sale today (I never really liked its synth engine).

    When I was considering selling my OP-1 though, I decided to sit down and purposefully try some new things out on it that I hadn't tried before. A couple songs on my latest Bandcamp album ended up being done entirely on the OP-1 as a result! I decided it's just so unique and portable and weird that it's back on my "I'll never sell that!" list.

    Although that list is starting to lose a few members...

  • edited August 13
    Hi there... I would like to join in this group therapy session.
    *stands up to voice his thoughts within the very friendly circle of OP-1'rs and ex-users to an applause.

    I got rid of it but never intended too. As a one-man-band I continually think about different configurations and set-ups like the rest of us. I had an OP-1 that I had just fixed and was left wounded by the experience. I never could plug it back into the MIDI set up which seriously decreased its usability. Gutted but onwards and upwards as they say. I really wanted an OB6. I checked out some OB6 modules on Reverb and found a shop in the States supplying them. An idea jumped into my head to offer an exchange. The OP-1 is small and expensive so this could work in my favour and it did. I got a great deal.

    The OP-1 is absolutely cool and 100% unique. If I could swap it for some things I'm not using then I would. Would I pay direct cash for it again? No. Unless the price was really really great.

    After picking up two of the AIRA EFX Modules I would rather spend my cash on a modular and get really weird.

    I didn't fully maximize the OP-1's capability which may have changed my opinion. The Machinedrum seems to cover what I was using the OP-1 for.

    Stuff happens in life and I am grateful that I got to experience the OP-1 and because I didn't fully utilize its capabilities it has left a large space called curiousity.

    I'm not really experiencing any loss at the moment due to the other stuff that I am learning. I've only scratched the surface of the A4, Machinedrum, and Sub 37. I also haven't began utilizing the Octatracks sampling capabilities. I took my A4 out of my set up for a couple of days and missed it.

    Everyone has their own cross to bear and judging by some people's responses their cross is or would be heavy in an OP-1less world.
    I think it is a case-by-case situation. Everyone's has a different path they are walking up.

    Anyway.... I need to go into a creative hibernation with my current set up...
    thank you for reading my super long response!! Lol


  • Good to hear other people are going through the same as me!

    I'm currently going through a house move and with a small baby £700 is very tempting for a price of gear I don't use a lot.

    That being said there's some nice sounds I just can't find elsewhere, like the Rhodes sounds that sound great when I loop using pickup machines in octatrack.

    I think I'm likely to keep the OP1 to be honest. I think with anything you have to look at it like....just because it does so much it doesn't mean you have to utilise every aspect of it. That's certainly true of the octatrack and applies to OP1 too.

    I just have a massive OCD complex in that I HATE having too many peices of expensive gear lying around not getting used. The financial guilt gets the the way of creativity for me. More than two devices at once, and I start to feel like I'm not getting the most out of it.

    Octatrack is, and always will be the staple of my setup. The sample food will come from different sources, I just need to figure out whether the iPad and OP1 can coexist together without my conscience getting in the way. Too many options are a creativity killer to me
  • lescour1 said:



    I just have a massive OCD complex in that I HATE having too many peices of expensive gear lying around not getting used. The financial guilt gets the the way of creativity for me. More than two devices at once, and I start to feel like I'm not getting the most out of it.

    Same
  • lescour1 said:



    I just have a massive OCD complex in that I HATE having too many peices of expensive gear lying around not getting used. The financial guilt gets the the way of creativity for me. More than two devices at once, and I start to feel like I'm not getting the most out of it.

    Same
    I see a lot of guys with a lot of gear, who don't necessarily make very good music. I don't want to be one of those guys. I'd much rather have one or two peices that I know inside out. My staple for a long time has been OT and OP1. They play so nice together, but man these iPad apps are really creative and not as much hassle as OP1. Its really got me thinking...."hmmm, I could really do with £700!"
  • I also was up to selling my OP two times (one time already with a potential buyer), but whenever I switched it on for one last time and played with it, I realized I couldn't give it away.

    @lescour1 The OP-1 is THE perfect companion for a dad! It's small and battery-driven, and you can always turn it off and easily continue the next time by simply switching it on again. :)
  • motone said:

    I also was up to selling my OP two times (one time already with a potential buyer), but whenever I switched it on for one last time and played with it, I realized I couldn't give it away.

    @lescour1 The OP-1 is THE perfect companion for a dad! It's small and battery-driven, and you can always turn it off and easily continue the next time by simply switching it on again. :)

    I know mate. Had it on eBay twice today and twice withdrew it. Kept turning it on and coming up with ideas. At worst, it can be a midi controller (albeit an expensive one) for the iPad when not in use directly.

    To be honest I'll probably go down the route of sampling from the OP1 into iPad to use the granular apps etc, bring some life to the OP1 synths as sometimes I find them abit static once they're down on tape. I think that's the problem, I like modulation and abit of randomness. Hence why I'm an avid Octatrack user. But the synths on OP1 are unmatchable for its size, I don't think I could live without it now.

    I'm keeping it!
  • edited August 14
    Same here. Thought about selling it a few times, but I just can't. I still have mine (4 years plus) and love it to bits.
  • lescour1 said:

    motone said:

    To be honest I'll probably go down the route of sampling from the OP1 into iPad to use the granular apps etc, bring some life to the OP1 synths as sometimes I find them abit static once they're down on tape. I think that's the problem, I like modulation and abit of randomness. Hence why I'm an avid Octatrack user. But the synths on OP1 are unmatchable for its size, I don't think I could live without it now.

    I'm keeping it!

    OP-1 is also fun to play from some iPad sequencers too. I seem to still find it easier to use the iPad with external gear (ie, sequence iPad synths with Octatrack; or sequence OP-1 with iPad) than to set up inter-app communication. Using the 'Xynthesizer' app on iPad (which has 'game of life' style generative sequencing) to sequence an OP-1 drum track is stupid fun.

    Also give the LFOs another look on the OP-1. I don't know if they were substantially improved in the new firmware we got this year (218?) or not.. I know some of them were.. But I seem to be having more fun with modulation and randomness on the OP-1 now than I ever did before. (Plus using the 'MIDI LFO' option to use CC 1-4 and route them to various OP-1 params makes wiring the OP-1 up to an Octatrack or Monomachine a lot of fun).
  • jshell said:

    lescour1 said:

    motone said:

    To be honest I'll probably go down the route of sampling from the OP1 into iPad to use the granular apps etc, bring some life to the OP1 synths as sometimes I find them abit static once they're down on tape. I think that's the problem, I like modulation and abit of randomness. Hence why I'm an avid Octatrack user. But the synths on OP1 are unmatchable for its size, I don't think I could live without it now.

    I'm keeping it!

    OP-1 is also fun to play from some iPad sequencers too. I seem to still find it easier to use the iPad with external gear (ie, sequence iPad synths with Octatrack; or sequence OP-1 with iPad) than to set up inter-app communication. Using the 'Xynthesizer' app on iPad (which has 'game of life' style generative sequencing) to sequence an OP-1 drum track is stupid fun.

    Also give the LFOs another look on the OP-1. I don't know if they were substantially improved in the new firmware we got this year (218?) or not.. I know some of them were.. But I seem to be having more fun with modulation and randomness on the OP-1 now than I ever did before. (Plus using the 'MIDI LFO' option to use CC 1-4 and route them to various OP-1 params makes wiring the OP-1 up to an Octatrack or Monomachine a lot of fun).

    Thanks mate, I've never looked at the LFOs on OP1 for sequencing external gear.

    Care to explain a little more about them and how to set the up?

    Cheers man
  • @MrJoshua I'm thinking about getting a MPC Live (but not sell my OP-1:). What you didnt liked about it?
  • @lesour1 - I don't know much about using the LFOs on OP-1 for sequencing external gear from the OP-1. But sequencing the OP-1 from external gear like Octatrack is really easy using the MIDI LFO.

    Basically, you just select the MIDI LFO option on the LFO page of a synth or drum part. There are four options corresponding to the four knobs. They also correspond to CC number 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively. Using the OP-1 knobs, you route each CC to synth, envelope, effect, or amp value and to one of the four knobs on that page (ie, route CC1 to 'synth green knob' basically, like other OP-1 LFO configs).

    Then configure an Octatrack MIDI track to send CC 1, 2, 3, and 4 (4 is all you get, making this a really good match for the Monomachine which can only sequence 4 CCs per MIDI track). Bam! Use Octatrack to parameter lock the OP-1! Or use Octatrack LFOs! Or both!

    It really opens up a whole new world. Then you can get crazy with sampling that sequence to the OT. Or recording it to OP-1's tape while sequencing from the OT, then use the 'lift and paste into sampler'.

    Extra fun can be had by re-routing the OP-1's MIDI LFO destinations by just twiddling knobs while the Octatrack is playing.
  • Sold mine last year. Don't regret it as such, but come back round to thinking about getting a new one every once in a while. Like now. :)
  • Some good sequencing tips there @jshell.
    Xynthesizr to drums! I'd almost forgot that app.
  • aeoner said:

    @MrJoshua I'm thinking about getting a MPC Live (but not sell my OP-1:). What you didnt liked about it?

    MrJoshua said:

    ... selling my OP-1 to fund an MPC Live (which was subsequently returned as DOA and replaced with a Digitakt), you were right.


    I miss my OP-1 a lot :(

    Just been looking at used OPs and they're now more expensive than when I sold mine not that long ago.

    Might have to buy an OP-Z and see if that scratches my itch when they're released, but I still wish I hadn't sold my OP-1.

    That is all.  Just needed to vent :)
    I also would love to hear your experience with mpc live.
  • Just curious what type of apps you're running on the iPad? I've had all sorts of wonderful hardware and toys, but Op1 is just so darn good as a creative sketchpad. I do like my iPad for tinkering with music a bit more stealth when whipping out a synth on the commute just attracts unwanted attention. I only really use Samplr and Borderlands though, so just wondering what you feel could replace the Op1?



  • formatk said:

    Just curious what type of apps you're running on the iPad? I've had all sorts of wonderful hardware and toys, but Op1 is just so darn good as a creative sketchpad. I do like my iPad for tinkering with music a bit more stealth when whipping out a synth on the commute just attracts unwanted attention. I only really use Samplr and Borderlands though, so just wondering what you feel could replace the Op1?




    People always point to Korg Gadget as the all-in-one solution, but I didn't get on with it too well. Fiddly interface. I prefer to use the ipad with single apps and pretend it's a dedicated piece of hardware. Patterning is probably my favourite app, Samplr is cool as well and very OP1-like, Borderlands for granular definitely, and also planning on picking up Odyssei as soon as I have a USB splitter so I can use midi and audio from the ipad at the same time.
  • Nothing can replace the OP1.  The fundamental 'ughh' with ipads is tapping glass.  I would forget apps and invest in a proper controller for the ipad.  Something like the Kordbot would be ideal has its got plenty of assignable knobs and very nice arps to play the apps with
  • I had the opposite experience with Gadget. I really like it. But I'm liking groove-box-ish kind of things and it fits that mold, and unlike some groove boxes, I can actually make more than one or two bars with it. What I like with Gadget - lots of automation possibilities that are tied in automatically. I've tried using Modstep as a sequencer/host for other apps and I just haven't clicked with it. Garageband tries to force me into 'normal' music and doesn't have the automation that I love (but on a modern iPad (Air 2 or later), you do get a version of Logic's Alchemy synth).

    I do like some of the standalone synths and, as I think I said earlier, I end up using them with the Octatrack (sequencing from OT) and I treat the iPad as a fancy synth module. It's great for things like the Korg M1, Wavestation, Odyssey, etc, that I don't have full need in real life.

    But Gadget is the one I can do complete songs and complex phrases in. It's aided by being able to share projects via iCloud to my iPhone, so I can just tinker on projects on the bus or something when I have ideas and don't have the iPad handy; and it's now my excuse for leaving the OP-1 behind when traveling and when luggage space is tight.
  • jonesy_op said:

    Nothing can replace the OP1.  The fundamental 'ughh' with ipads is tapping glass.  I would forget apps and invest in a proper controller for the ipad.  Something like the Kordbot would be ideal has its got plenty of assignable knobs and very nice arps to play the apps with

    Have you tried Borderlands Granular and iDensity? Definitely can't do that in an OP1 as much as I love it

  • A problem with iPad apps is that they get abandoned. Especially ones by small developers. There's a granular app that I loved named 'Curtis' that I used to use a lot but it got old and crusty and even if it still runs, it probably won't run come iOS 11 time. Man I used to have fun running that through the Monotron's filter!

    That said, I was just listening to some old stuff of mine done in weird little granular/generative macOS apps that were long abandoned, wondering if there are ways I could trick the Octatrack or OP-1 into doing some of these tricks. Probably not worth the fight and I should look at iPad apps instead.

    While iOS 11 is going to kill off a lot of abandoned 32-bit apps, I'm hoping that the long overdue file management app may make the process of loading/managing/sharing samples between apps a lot easier (if they update themselves to support it).
  • Thanks all for reminding me how much I love my OP-1.

    I hate the thought of doing music on an iPad. There's something about the iPad that just is friction for the creative process. For example, I'd need to keep it charged. The OP-1 needs to be charged too, but I do it pretty rarely. Then I might get distracted by the solitaire game and play that instead of making music. Most important, I'd need to connect a keyboard to it and then holding the iPad and keyboard at the same time is a pain unless I use some sort of stand, but then it's not truly portable anymore without some sort of setup, which is just added friction.

    Another issue with the iPad is that every program has a different UI. There's a type of mental fatigue that comes from switching between many different user interfaces.

    As I think about it, the OP-1 is actually a lot like an old Ensoniq ASR-10. Purpose built hardware for music production. The Oktatrack sounds like it's similar. They're specifically designed to create music quickly and easily. At the moment the market doesn't seem interested in this sort of electronic instrument but maybe in the future there will be a comback...
  • "At the moment the market doesn't seem interested in this sort of electronic instrument but maybe in the future there will be a comback..."

    ?? There are tons of instruments like this right now, new ones every day.
  • tumble2k said:

    Another issue with the iPad is that every program has a different UI. There's a type of mental fatigue that comes from switching between many different user interfaces.

    This is kind of what I was getting at, too. Just fussing around with making sure everything is inter-connected properly, then having to switch back and forth between apps and everything is different, and interacts differently... it can just be a real workflow killer.  This is exactly the problem the OP-1 famously kind of solved.
  • Don't ever sell it. It's a work of art, and there's absolutely nothing else like it.
  • Anfim said:

    formatk said:

    People always point to Korg Gadget as the all-in-one solution, but I didn't get on with it too well. Fiddly interface. I prefer to use the ipad with single apps and pretend it's a dedicated piece of hardware. Patterning is probably my favourite app, Samplr is cool as well and very OP1-like, Borderlands for granular definitely, and also planning on picking up Odyssei as soon as I have a USB splitter so I can use midi and audio from the ipad at the same time.

    Yeah, I bought Gadget, used it on aerooplane trip once, but didn't warm to the sounds in it. I actually use my modular very little now as it's just in the studio all the time and I tend to always be out and about and the Moog Model 15 satisfies a certain wigglyness. That and I've just bought another Organelle after not getting on with it the first time around, but there's oodles of awesome new community patches out now that threatens my beloved op1 in a good way, but I'll never sell this beauty. 
Sign In or Register to comment.