Whoever insinuated I was an idiot for...

… selling my OP-1 to fund an MPC Live (which was subsequently returned as DOA and replaced with a Digitakt), you were right.

I miss my OP-1 a lot :frowning:

Just been looking at used OPs and they’re now more expensive than when I sold mine not that long ago.

Might have to buy an OP-Z and see if that scratches my itch when they’re released, but I still wish I hadn’t sold my OP-1.

That is all. Just needed to vent :slight_smile:

We should pin this discussion at the very top, and move all regretting posts here :wink:

I’m toying with the idea of selling mine since getting an iPad and discovering a world of sampling apps. But I just know I’ll miss it

@lescour1 Totally same boat here man. Digging ipad a lot atm… My brain’s saying I should sell while prices are good and before I hit any hardware problems and it’s in perfect condition… Heart is saying keep it…

Its still getting use on everything I’ve been recording tho (still love the sound and the immediacy/oddness of the sequencers etc) and its cool to sequence ipad apps with the Op1 sequencers/arp etc… but been a while since I picked it up to use it by itself.

Gonna try and do something for the current battle and see if that rekindles how hyped I used to be on it…

The iPad is seductive, but a tricky mistress. I got addicted to a lot of apps - there are many cool ones, but it is hard to find elegant solutions for self-contained production like the OP-1. I’ll be messing with a cool sample or something but ultimately will feel like I need to get the sounds off the iPad and work with them elsewhere. I guess the closest I come to making complete tracks is with the Korg Gadget app, which actually is pretty great, but you gotta purchase all the extra cool devices to get the most use out of it. Beatmaker 3 is very cool, but also at the end of the day is really just a sampler pretty much like any other.

Really thought of selling my OP-1 a few months ago as it had gone relatively unused since Machinedrum and Monomachine came into my life last year. Then I bought Circuit thinking it would be my ‘portable Elektron style sequencing’ box but… I just put the Circuit up for sale today (I never really liked its synth engine).

When I was considering selling my OP-1 though, I decided to sit down and purposefully try some new things out on it that I hadn’t tried before. A couple songs on my latest Bandcamp album ended up being done entirely on the OP-1 as a result! I decided it’s just so unique and portable and weird that it’s back on my “I’ll never sell that!” list.

Although that list is starting to lose a few members…

Hi there… I would like to join in this group therapy session.
*stands up to voice his thoughts within the very friendly circle of OP-1’rs and ex-users to an applause.

I got rid of it but never intended too. As a one-man-band I continually think about different configurations and set-ups like the rest of us. I had an OP-1 that I had just fixed and was left wounded by the experience. I never could plug it back into the MIDI set up which seriously decreased its usability. Gutted but onwards and upwards as they say. I really wanted an OB6. I checked out some OB6 modules on Reverb and found a shop in the States supplying them. An idea jumped into my head to offer an exchange. The OP-1 is small and expensive so this could work in my favour and it did. I got a great deal.

The OP-1 is absolutely cool and 100% unique. If I could swap it for some things I’m not using then I would. Would I pay direct cash for it again? No. Unless the price was really really great.

After picking up two of the AIRA EFX Modules I would rather spend my cash on a modular and get really weird.

I didn’t fully maximize the OP-1’s capability which may have changed my opinion. The Machinedrum seems to cover what I was using the OP-1 for.

Stuff happens in life and I am grateful that I got to experience the OP-1 and because I didn’t fully utilize its capabilities it has left a large space called curiousity.

I’m not really experiencing any loss at the moment due to the other stuff that I am learning. I’ve only scratched the surface of the A4, Machinedrum, and Sub 37. I also haven’t began utilizing the Octatracks sampling capabilities. I took my A4 out of my set up for a couple of days and missed it.

Everyone has their own cross to bear and judging by some people’s responses their cross is or would be heavy in an OP-1less world.
I think it is a case-by-case situation. Everyone’s has a different path they are walking up.

Anyway… I need to go into a creative hibernation with my current set up…
thank you for reading my super long response!! Lol

Good to hear other people are going through the same as me!

I’m currently going through a house move and with a small baby £700 is very tempting for a price of gear I don’t use a lot.

That being said there’s some nice sounds I just can’t find elsewhere, like the Rhodes sounds that sound great when I loop using pickup machines in octatrack.

I think I’m likely to keep the OP1 to be honest. I think with anything you have to look at it like…just because it does so much it doesn’t mean you have to utilise every aspect of it. That’s certainly true of the octatrack and applies to OP1 too.

I just have a massive OCD complex in that I HATE having too many peices of expensive gear lying around not getting used. The financial guilt gets the the way of creativity for me. More than two devices at once, and I start to feel like I’m not getting the most out of it.

Octatrack is, and always will be the staple of my setup. The sample food will come from different sources, I just need to figure out whether the iPad and OP1 can coexist together without my conscience getting in the way. Too many options are a creativity killer to me

I just have a massive OCD complex in that I HATE having too many peices of expensive gear lying around not getting used. The financial guilt gets the the way of creativity for me. More than two devices at once, and I start to feel like I’m not getting the most out of it.

Same

Same

I see a lot of guys with a lot of gear, who don’t necessarily make very good music. I don’t want to be one of those guys. I’d much rather have one or two peices that I know inside out. My staple for a long time has been OT and OP1. They play so nice together, but man these iPad apps are really creative and not as much hassle as OP1. Its really got me thinking…“hmmm, I could really do with £700!”

I also was up to selling my OP two times (one time already with a potential buyer), but whenever I switched it on for one last time and played with it, I realized I couldn’t give it away.

@lescour1 The OP-1 is THE perfect companion for a dad! It’s small and battery-driven, and you can always turn it off and easily continue the next time by simply switching it on again. :slight_smile:

I also was up to selling my OP two times (one time already with a potential buyer), but whenever I switched it on for one last time and played with it, I realized I couldn't give it away.

@lescour1 The OP-1 is THE perfect companion for a dad! It’s small and battery-driven, and you can always turn it off and easily continue the next time by simply switching it on again. :slight_smile:

I know mate. Had it on eBay twice today and twice withdrew it. Kept turning it on and coming up with ideas. At worst, it can be a midi controller (albeit an expensive one) for the iPad when not in use directly.

To be honest I’ll probably go down the route of sampling from the OP1 into iPad to use the granular apps etc, bring some life to the OP1 synths as sometimes I find them abit static once they’re down on tape. I think that’s the problem, I like modulation and abit of randomness. Hence why I’m an avid Octatrack user. But the synths on OP1 are unmatchable for its size, I don’t think I could live without it now.

I’m keeping it!

Same here. Thought about selling it a few times, but I just can’t. I still have mine (4 years plus) and love it to bits.

To be honest I'll probably go down the route of sampling from the OP1 into iPad to use the granular apps etc, bring some life to the OP1 synths as sometimes I find them abit static once they're down on tape. I think that's the problem, I like modulation and abit of randomness. Hence why I'm an avid Octatrack user. But the synths on OP1 are unmatchable for its size, I don't think I could live without it now.

I’m keeping it!

OP-1 is also fun to play from some iPad sequencers too. I seem to still find it easier to use the iPad with external gear (ie, sequence iPad synths with Octatrack; or sequence OP-1 with iPad) than to set up inter-app communication. Using the ‘Xynthesizer’ app on iPad (which has ‘game of life’ style generative sequencing) to sequence an OP-1 drum track is stupid fun.

Also give the LFOs another look on the OP-1. I don’t know if they were substantially improved in the new firmware we got this year (218?) or not… I know some of them were… But I seem to be having more fun with modulation and randomness on the OP-1 now than I ever did before. (Plus using the ‘MIDI LFO’ option to use CC 1-4 and route them to various OP-1 params makes wiring the OP-1 up to an Octatrack or Monomachine a lot of fun).
To be honest I'll probably go down the route of sampling from the OP1 into iPad to use the granular apps etc, bring some life to the OP1 synths as sometimes I find them abit static once they're down on tape. I think that's the problem, I like modulation and abit of randomness. Hence why I'm an avid Octatrack user. But the synths on OP1 are unmatchable for its size, I don't think I could live without it now.

I’m keeping it!

OP-1 is also fun to play from some iPad sequencers too. I seem to still find it easier to use the iPad with external gear (ie, sequence iPad synths with Octatrack; or sequence OP-1 with iPad) than to set up inter-app communication. Using the ‘Xynthesizer’ app on iPad (which has ‘game of life’ style generative sequencing) to sequence an OP-1 drum track is stupid fun.

Also give the LFOs another look on the OP-1. I don’t know if they were substantially improved in the new firmware we got this year (218?) or not… I know some of them were… But I seem to be having more fun with modulation and randomness on the OP-1 now than I ever did before. (Plus using the ‘MIDI LFO’ option to use CC 1-4 and route them to various OP-1 params makes wiring the OP-1 up to an Octatrack or Monomachine a lot of fun).

Thanks mate, I’ve never looked at the LFOs on OP1 for sequencing external gear.

Care to explain a little more about them and how to set the up?

Cheers man

@MrJoshua I’m thinking about getting a MPC Live (but not sell my OP-1:). What you didnt liked about it?

@lesour1 - I don’t know much about using the LFOs on OP-1 for sequencing external gear from the OP-1. But sequencing the OP-1 from external gear like Octatrack is really easy using the MIDI LFO.

Basically, you just select the MIDI LFO option on the LFO page of a synth or drum part. There are four options corresponding to the four knobs. They also correspond to CC number 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively. Using the OP-1 knobs, you route each CC to synth, envelope, effect, or amp value and to one of the four knobs on that page (ie, route CC1 to ‘synth green knob’ basically, like other OP-1 LFO configs).

Then configure an Octatrack MIDI track to send CC 1, 2, 3, and 4 (4 is all you get, making this a really good match for the Monomachine which can only sequence 4 CCs per MIDI track). Bam! Use Octatrack to parameter lock the OP-1! Or use Octatrack LFOs! Or both!

It really opens up a whole new world. Then you can get crazy with sampling that sequence to the OT. Or recording it to OP-1’s tape while sequencing from the OT, then use the ‘lift and paste into sampler’.

Extra fun can be had by re-routing the OP-1’s MIDI LFO destinations by just twiddling knobs while the Octatrack is playing.

Sold mine last year. Don’t regret it as such, but come back round to thinking about getting a new one every once in a while. Like now. :slight_smile:

Some good sequencing tips there @jshell.
Xynthesizr to drums! I’d almost forgot that app.

@MrJoshua I'm thinking about getting a MPC Live (but not sell my OP-1:). What you didnt liked about it?

… selling my OP-1 to fund an MPC Live (which was subsequently returned as DOA and replaced with a Digitakt), you were right.

I miss my OP-1 a lot :frowning:

Just been looking at used OPs and they’re now more expensive than when I sold mine not that long ago.

Might have to buy an OP-Z and see if that scratches my itch when they’re released, but I still wish I hadn’t sold my OP-1.

That is all. Just needed to vent :slight_smile:

I also would love to hear your experience with mpc live.