Roland SP-404A

Not sure why? From what I'm seeing is new paint and samples.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/sp-404a/?lang=en-US

Comments

• lol yea whuttt?  seems like more of an advertisement for the TR-8....?

roland strikes again
  • Play-by-play from the Roland HQ:

Grabs old, outdated device --> Adds green paint --> "WELCOME OUR NEW AIRA SAMPLER"

how incredibly bizarre.
  • Play-by-play from the Roland HQ:

Grabs old, outdated device --> Adds green paint --> "WELCOME OUR NEW AIRA SAMPLER"

how incredibly bizarre.
    yes, I'm not really getting what the update is there.. besides the green paint and the "hottest sample packs".
  • Right, with so much competition it's just odd
  • haha yea bizarre indeed.  not at all surprised tho...unfortunately 

• If device came out like the OP-1, without the synths and just the sampling abilities, only replacing the keys with pads, maybe a longer tape.. with the same level of portability as the OP-1 I'd be a happy person.
  • lefilou said:

If device came out like the OP-1, without the synths and just the sampling abilities, only replacing the keys with pads, maybe a longer tape.. with the same level of portability as the OP-1 I'd be a happy person.

SP with Op-1 screen = smiles

• HORRIBLE. Basically, it´s a SP404SX with a (little?) better MIDI implementation, which is a shame and remembers me that although the 404SX have a MIDI in, it is USELESS. 

It truly feels to me a like a dishonest gear, selling as a big feature something that should have been functional in the first version (which, indeed, is already a second incarnation of the SP404!). 

Also, it doesn´t seems very good budget: the price of the SP404A (if it´s the same of the SX) + the TR-8 is  basically the same of a Octatrack, if sample-based step sequencing is what you´re looking for, in a much more efficient, concise and elegant case and implementation. 
  • BTW, got yesterday a SP 303 <3 
  • Octatrack mkii, Sp404mkiiiiiiii, es2.... Yawn. Bare minimum upgrades seem to be the standard move with samplers these days :/
  • Octatrack mkii, Sp404mkiiiiiiii, es2.... Yawn. Bare minimum upgrades seem to be the standard move with samplers these days :/

Unless you count the MPC LIve, which is f'ing awesome.

Have they fixed the MPC bugs yet? I heard there was a recent update, but no real user info that I've seen so far
  • Roland are off their heads. Are they even aware of the main appeal of the SP series they created? No one cares about the sequencer, samples are limited in their editing anyway. It's all about  the effects ( vinyl sim especially on the sp303 anyway) and the resampling method of making music that is the main appeal I think anyway. 

I love Roland but this is just weird. Especially released simultaneously as the beautiful looking and more focused tr08 and sh01a. Is that loopmasters decal even removal?
  • edited August 10

Octatrack mkii, Sp404mkiiiiiiii, es2.... Yawn. Bare minimum upgrades seem to be the standard move with samplers these days :/

Have they fixed the MPC bugs yet? I heard there was a recent update, but no real user info that I've seen so far

I had 2 or 3 crashes w/ the launch firmware, and no crashes with the last update.

I've experienced no bugs at all; certainly none since the update. For what you get, $1,200 is a steal for the Live. It's certainly the most robust standalone sampler around (not counting the X).
  • I have no idea what Roland's strategy is - they definitely seem to be all over the place.  The crazy thing is that the SE-02 boutique is fucking phenomenal, but basically got glossed over to hard push a bunch of other random fake "re-issues".  The SE-02 is the real deal when it comes to analog monosynths, if that's what you're looking for, but Jesus I cannot stand that neon green Aira BS.