Roland SP-404A

Not sure why? From what I’m seeing is new paint and samples.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/sp-404a/?lang=en-US

lol yea whuttt? seems like more of an advertisement for the TR-8…?

roland strikes again
Play-by-play from the Roland HQ:

Grabs old, outdated device --> Adds green paint --> "WELCOME OUR NEW AIRA SAMPLER"

how incredibly bizarre.
Play-by-play from the Roland HQ:

Grabs old, outdated device --> Adds green paint --> "WELCOME OUR NEW AIRA SAMPLER"

how incredibly bizarre.

yes, I’m not really getting what the update is there… besides the green paint and the “hottest sample packs”.

Right, with so much competition it’s just odd

haha yea bizarre indeed. not at all surprised tho…unfortunately

If device came out like the OP-1, without the synths and just the sampling abilities, only replacing the keys with pads, maybe a longer tape… with the same level of portability as the OP-1 I’d be a happy person.

If device came out like the OP-1, without the synths and just the sampling abilities, only replacing the keys with pads, maybe a longer tape.. with the same level of portability as the OP-1 I'd be a happy person.

SP with Op-1 screen = smiles

HORRIBLE. Basically, it´s a SP404SX with a (little?) better MIDI implementation, which is a shame and remembers me that although the 404SX have a MIDI in, it is USELESS.

It truly feels to me a like a dishonest gear, selling as a big feature something that should have been functional in the first version (which, indeed, is already a second incarnation of the SP404!).

Also, it doesn´t seems very good budget: the price of the SP404A (if it´s the same of the SX) + the TR-8 is basically the same of a Octatrack, if sample-based step sequencing is what you´re looking for, in a much more efficient, concise and elegant case and implementation.

BTW, got yesterday a SP 303 <3

Octatrack mkii, Sp404mkiiiiiiii, es2… Yawn. Bare minimum upgrades seem to be the standard move with samplers these days :confused:

Octatrack mkii, Sp404mkiiiiiiii, es2.... Yawn. Bare minimum upgrades seem to be the standard move with samplers these days :/

Unless you count the MPC LIve, which is f’ing awesome.

Octatrack mkii, Sp404mkiiiiiiii, es2.... Yawn. Bare minimum upgrades seem to be the standard move with samplers these days :/

Have they fixed the MPC bugs yet? I heard there was a recent update, but no real user info that I’ve seen so far

Roland are off their heads. Are they even aware of the main appeal of the SP series they created? No one cares about the sequencer, samples are limited in their editing anyway. It’s all about the effects ( vinyl sim especially on the sp303 anyway) and the resampling method of making music that is the main appeal I think anyway.

I love Roland but this is just weird. Especially released simultaneously as the beautiful looking and more focused tr08 and sh01a. Is that loopmasters decal even removal?

Have they fixed the MPC bugs yet? I heard there was a recent update, but no real user info that I’ve seen so far

I had 2 or 3 crashes w/ the launch firmware, and no crashes with the last update.

I’ve experienced no bugs at all; certainly none since the update. For what you get, $1,200 is a steal for the Live. It’s certainly the most robust standalone sampler around (not counting the X).

I have no idea what Roland’s strategy is - they definitely seem to be all over the place. The crazy thing is that the SE-02 boutique is fucking phenomenal, but basically got glossed over to hard push a bunch of other random fake “re-issues”. The SE-02 is the real deal when it comes to analog monosynths, if that’s what you’re looking for, but Jesus I cannot stand that neon green Aira BS.

Apart from the not really an update issue, any of you guys recommend this or previous versions? Any YouTubes I’ve seen make it sound really fiddley to chop edit samples.
Just thinking it might be good along with my under used tr8 and for the effects that everyone raves about.
Also like the idea of it being built like a tank. With one of my digitakt pads being dodgy I’d welcome something built to last.

i’m not sure if i would go as far to say the sp’s are built like tanks.

i certainly wouldn’t say they are built like crap, but they have their problems

chopping samples i think is a completely different beast when u have no editing screen.
the mark feature that u can use to edit samples is actually really cool and really fast when u get used to it.
its all by ear. which can lead to some really interesting chops but also can be frustrating depending on the person and their expectations.

i would recommend the sp’s for days and days. but they aren’t necessarily for everyone or everything.

personally do not like the black and green scheme they got going on w the new “A” model.

also to me seems silly to hook this up to the gigantic TR8 just for a sequencer. (a pretty limited one at that)
u can get by w/ the SP seq. even if it isn’t the greatest if u really needed to. imho the magic is tapping out your shit on the SP.
or ditch the combo and get another sampler entirely like an mpc w/ a really nice seqr built in if thats what u really want.
1 unit instead of 2. i dunno just my own thoughts. everyones got their own way.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. Your probably right regarding the tr8. Probably would have got an mpc but got put off by the negative posts about build quality and things being faulty, although more success stories being posted these days. My more expensive gear seems to be way more prone to issues than the cheaper stuff I have. Maybe it’s a false assessment as higher price can = more complicated can = more things to go wrong.
So thats kind of why the SP caught my eye.