suggestions for new firmware features

I wonder how Teenage Engineering is listening to user's feedback on the Op1 for firmware update.

I still have a torn feeling between admiration on the Op1... and frustration. Very few basic features are cruelly missing and I am sure aren't so difficult to add them in new firmwares.

1- Sequencer(s): at least add few (~10) banks to temporary save the patterns. Even the older drumbox has such feature. Even the PO-12 does have banks
2- bookmarks on the tape track: again, few (~10) bookmarks that we could use to jump from one location to another. And if playing with synchronized metronome, just wait for the measure to be done before jumping to next bookmark. In fact this is PO-12 offers(!). PO-12 even offers a nice way to set a series of sequences to play.
3- Tape track: instead of displaying these big 2 old-school rolls, why not propose a view of 4 tracks with the wave-form (and bookmarks) ? It would even help to guess what is on the 4 tracks
4- add an official way to merge multiple tracks to one. For now, its hacky (copy to a drum kit and replay it on a track)

In other words, I was surprised that a $60 drum-kit device from the same company offers nice features that the Op1 at $900 doesn't have.
1 Like

Most of it is CPU related.
My wishlist

1. Update encoders to haptic feedback interaction: I click on the encoder = always one value change
  2. Make the metronome adjustable in volume separate from the change in pitch
  3. Make the sync signal louder to work directly with Eurorack standards
  4. Use more shift+encoder options to alter th settings
  5. Would love to change the lfo waveforms or phase of the lfos with shift+ Encoder
  6. Implement shift lift (copy all Unmuted tracks in loop) and drop to active track as a merge tracks function

i just want mix-paste :expressionless:

My only wishes/demands:

- sync input via mic jack
- sequences save with presets

Lack of the above features were a reason why I sold mine; if they're added I may be tempted to get one again :D

Weird, right? It isn’t much data to append to the custom json chunk they use already anyway. Then, because it shouldn’t automatically overwrite the active sequence on load, and to ask is way too much, a seemingly easy thing would be to mark the ones that have sequence data in them, and to press something to load the sequencer settings from the patch… e.g. click green encoder while in the browser, or click-and-hold green and press the sequencer button… etc.

My only wishes/demands:

- sync input via mic jack

Lack of the above features were a reason why I sold mine; if they're added I may be tempted to get one again :D

Sync input is there since beta/218 isn’t it? (I’m not using it)

I’d vote for a 2nd envelope (shift+2 on synth) so amplitude and filter envelopes can differ.

I have one simple request; double / quadruple the length of the pattern sequencer.

Saving sequences would be nice, or at least the ability to lift from pattern and drop into finger.

Doesn’t seem like there’s much cpu/mem to play with but would be cool if they could squeeze in -

Save sequences.
Tape markers.
FX snapshots.
Bring back the beta arpeggio.
An alt firmware minus presets (unless this means waaay less sounds overall due to some kind of factory presets pre-compression/something techy).

Sync input is there since beta/218 isn’t it? (I’m not using it)

nah, it has sync output which is fine for syncing to pocket operators, but I would love to be able to send a pulse from my monomachine or octatrack and have the op-1 sync to it!

The ability to assign LFOs to the master effect.
Two independent LFOs assignable to a synth engine.
More LFOs.
An LFO modulating another LFO with another LFO modulating the modulating LFO.
Gverb.
Speech synthesiser. TE could have a chat with Plogue. Please?
Sample transform multiplication so I don't have to save up for a secondhand Emax II.
World peace.
Selfies.
Unreal Tournament 2004.
Amiga SID emulator.

Is that a bit unrealistic?

+1 World peace.

Oh and rec lock via shift & drop.

+2 on world peace. Maybe send Trump an Op1 in the hope it at least distracts him from twitter for a while :wink:

+2 on world peace. Maybe send Trump an Op1 in the hope it at least distracts him from twitter for a while ;)

“Oooh full-size keys!” - Trump

+2 on world peace. Maybe send Trump an Op1 in the hope it at least distracts him from twitter for a while ;)

“Oooh full-size keys!” - Trump

Haha :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it blow yr mind if he turned out to be some genius prodigy on the OP, and his entire worldview changed? “Arts and humanities for all!! Uge! Tremendous!”

I can second the request of bookmarks on tape. Yeah, BOOKMARKS on tape is a must have :slight_smile: I already sent this request to TE’s support, but they couldn’t confirm this would happen anytime.

"Oooh full-size keys!" - Trump

Already a classic! Add to OP-1 jokes discussion!

I agree with the premise of saving sequences. Midi data is very small compared to sampled waves. Bonus points if multiple midi channels could be supported for those of us with outboard gear. I realize this is the direction the OPZ is going, but I’d have to figure out a way to add a smartphone and additional cable runs to my small rig if I go OPZ. I’d rather keep exploring with the OP1 and OPLab combo.

I would also suggest a new sequencer similar to the Fugue Machine iOS app. Basically you enter a few notes and multiple virtual midi playheads sweep across the piano roll with different rates, gates, and directions. It causes interesting polyphonic interactions that you wouldn’t expect. yet it can retain cohesion and harmony depending upon the notes chosen.

spoiled musicians with their multi-core, multi-Ghz devices, thinking it’s just a flick of a finger to get something awesome on a low-power, low-mem embedded device like the BlackFin inside the OP-1.

Sorry boys but from a programmer’s perspective, most of what you want is utterly impossible to squeeze in there and QA qithout disrupting what’s there right now.

World peace might just work though…

…i don´t think about new improvements…the os feels good i think.

just one thing:
it would be nice if effects are like patches…so you can delete effects you don´t use and load others in…in that way TE could developed further modules for the op-1 and get charged for it…