Any experiences/tipps going through security with the OP-1 in EU?

Hi there

I was just wondering if anyone can share some experiences or tipps for traveling with the OP-1. I plan to travel to Amsterdam in the next days by plane. I read on other comments that someones OP-1 got electrical static after going through customs…but maybe that was an individual case.

I own a newly purchased device (since 2 weeks) with firmware 220.

Thank you for any comments!

I highly recommend the official OP-1 soft case by Unit Portables. It’s a bit expensive but worth every cent, when you take your OP-1 on the road.

I had my OP-1 on the plane several times. Two times I had to go to a swab test with it. Had no problems with electrical static yet. No experience with customs, did only inner-europe/national flights.
I highly recommend the official OP-1 soft case by Unit Portables. It's a bit expensive but worth every cent, when you take your OP-1 on the road.

I had my OP-1 on the plane several times. Two times I had to go to a swab test with it. Had no problems with electrical static yet. No experience with customs, did only inner-europe/national flights.

thank you for your quick reply. did you take your receipts or sth similar with you when you went through security?

No, just left the case open when going through handluggage check (in the same manner when presenting laptop, tablet, other electronic stuff).

As stated above, I have no experience with international flights and customs. I’d think you would just need to declare it on both outward and return flight.
No, just left the case open when going through handluggage check (in the same manner when presenting laptop, tablet, other electronic stuff).

As stated above, I have no experience with international flights and customs. I'd think you would just need to declare it on both outward and return flight.

Very helpful information, thank you! :slight_smile:

It’ll be fine. Travelled a good bit with my OP-1 on planes.

A few times I had to take it out of the case and show them what it was but most of the time it just went through in its case in my rucksack.

The OP-1 looks like what it is - a musical instrument so you are not going to get any troubles with it.
Imagine trying to get on a plane with a eurorack modular! :wink:

haha, this picture made my day! thanks for sharing your experiences, timetravelmadeeasy! :wink:

I travelled once with a modular. The TSA agent yelled out “yo, who’s the DJ?” When he assumed it was DJ equipment, I just went with it and didn’t try to explain what modular synthesis is :slight_smile:

I did report that I, myself, get a lot more electrostatic charge going through security than I used to before (accounting for e.g. clothes etc), and that my OP1 acted weird when installing os 225 after being through security a few times over the last two weeks.

^ These are coincidental, not necessarily related.

thanks for clearing that up, eesn. time or more experiences from other users will tell if these are related.

Hello,

I was on tour (i’m a tech) the whole year, that’s why I bought my op-1.
It went with me on, let’s say 40 flights, mostly EU and US sometimes.
Never had any issues, leave the case open when passing the handluggage check.
My bonus advise is to have in-ear (deep) headphones to get rid of the plane noise and enjoy your music.
The only pain in the ass is that your have to wait for the takeoff to be over.
Have a good flight :wink:

thanks for sharing your experiences with the op-1, Ubik! my sennheiser hd 25 II are dampening any plane noise pretty good ;). I will just leave the case open then :).

Get a pair of Bose QC20 headphones for music making and general flight comfort.
Regular headphones are no use on a plane for music making as you don’t hear any detail because of engine noise.

QC20’s Block out most of the engine noise and feels almost surreal in your little bubble of silence on a plane.
One of the best tech investments I’ve ever made.
You get less ear fatique on long haul flights because of the noise cancelling tech.
With them being smaller in-ear headphones you can fall alseep easily and comfortably with them on - a lot of the time on a flight I just have them in my ears and turned on but with no music so I am sitting/sleeping in silence.

If you are in the UK then buy them from John Lewis and take out the extended 3 year warranty (about £30). Then in 2.95 years you “accidentally” break them and get a new pair. :wink:

these look pretty neat! not a big fan of in-ears (or maybe my ears are) but will check them out, thanks for mentioning!

these look pretty neat! not a big fan of in-ears (or maybe my ears are) but will check them out, thanks for mentioning!

hd25 user here, they are more than adequate

Yes, wouldn’t recommend anything with active noise cancelling for music making as it colors the sound. Closed cans provide enough isolation for me, and I don’t like more batteries in stuff that goes bad after a while. The HD 25s are physically indestructible and made for monitoring.

They are actually super comfy.

The Bose range of in-ears have a unique way of keeping the headphones in your ear without adding strain to you ear.
With other in-ear headphones my ears get sore because they are pressed into the ear.

The benefits that noise cancelling headphones give on a plane for music production outweigh any ‘colouring’ issues that can be corrected later on ground IMO. AND you’ll get a nice quiet sleep on long hauls.