Octatrack MkII

Didn’t see this one coming!!

https://www.elektron.se/octatrack-mkii/

Website is overloaded right now… but fb post seems legit:

(chatting with myself)

So it’s only a mechanical upgrade says Simon on the Elektronauts forum:

Introducing Octatrack MKII - #41 by Ess - News - Elektronauts

So not such a big deal… I’ll stick to my Digitakt :slight_smile:

Such a wasted opportunity. Why not beef up the processing power and add conditional trigs, better FX, legato polyphony, etc? All the stuff that OT users have actually been asking for.

“Balanced audio inputs with plenty of headroom” => anyone wants my good old OT mk1 ?

:smiley:

Might bring Octa MK1 down to sensible (cheapskate) prices? :slight_smile:

The user interface definitely looks clearer than on Mk.I, even with the increased number of buttons.

Strange update. OLED screen, who cares? But maybe they’ll fix the MIDI bugs/weirdness now.

Such a wasted opportunity. Why not beef up the processing power and add conditional trigs, better FX, legato polyphony, etc? All the stuff that OT users have actually been asking for.

I can’t believe better FX haven’t been included at least. That is an integral part of the machine. An update should make it sound better full stop! That’s the way things work. Unfathomable.

I can’t believe better FX haven’t been included at least. That is an integral part of the machine. An update should make it sound better full stop! That’s the way things work. Unfathomable.

Well, maybe they hid some higher power within the box, and will unleash it only once someone actually bought my mk1.

For me, better quality inputs + better workflow is already quite big !
I don’t care the screen much but it’s cool.

“I’ll wait for OT mkIII.”

I originally bought my OT to replace my Ciat-Lonbarde Cocolase, because I thought the Coco was down for the count. But now I have the Coco back up and running and haven’t been using the OT since.

I hope the MkII’s release means there will be new OS updates in the works - to fix some longstanding bugs, and add enhancements users have asked for, long before Overbridge (eg. MIDI control of slice functions).

Those new DT buttons are really smooth. And the new dedicated buttons will also make a better workflow, especially for new comers, I believe.

But I agree… I’d like a bigger update. Chiming in on more FX (the DT reverb would be great), the DT poly midi, trig conditions… Not sure what the current processor architecture can do, but Elektron has previously said the OT OS will only see bug fixes, and no new features. So if they hold true to that, I guess we just have to get on with it…

I can’t really believe mk2 is JUST a hardware update on buttons…

The addition of new buttons (pretty cool) must, I think, be accompanied with a tiny change in OS to access directly the submenu you were looking for on mk1.
So I guess there were also some changes done in the inside (it had been said that there was not enough room in mk1 to make some changes).

So if there is more room for slight change of code, why not introduce conditional trigs in a further OS ?
This hasn’t been denied by Elektron official so far, while OB on OT mk2 has been refuted at least 3 times already.

With this OT mk2 comes the possibility of new surprises, IMO :smiley:

i think they’ll have the digitakt brain cramped to this. just thinking Dual Core…old unchanged octatrack and another lil one who’s job is to do more effects and trig conditions…stuff like that.

my guess is that if software updates are indeed possible, that they held off b/c of the proximity to the digitakt release.

i’d prolly flip my newly acquired digitakt in a heartbeat if they had released a true updated OT mkII from the get go.
conditional trigs, etc etc.

scooped an mk1 for a nice deal tho, so i guess theres some perks :slight_smile:
gunna duke it out w/ the digi and prolly pick one.

the things i missed the most on the digi vs ot, SCENES and 3 LFOs. man those are really fun. and the dual filter.
scenes is way better than control all imho…

Totally agree with you on the Scenes.

So easy to setup, and being able to crossfade between two of them is so incredible !
Better Performance system they found, indeed.

I just sold my OT mk1. I’ll get an OT mk2 at the end of the summer !

Those new DT buttons are really smooth. And the new dedicated buttons will also make a better workflow, especially for new comers, I believe.

But I agree… I’d like a bigger update. Chiming in on more FX (the DT reverb would be great), the DT poly midi, trig conditions… Not sure what the current processor architecture can do, but Elektron has previously said the OT OS will only see bug fixes, and no new features. So if they hold true to that, I guess we just have to get on with it…

Even bug-fix-only updates would be greatly welcome to me. I’d love to be able to use slave pickup machines with more confidence, see a USB connection to the computer come up more reliably, etc.

BTW, I just watched your OT vs. DT mega comparison video and have been inspired to repurpose my OT as a playback machine,

I said it on the Elektronauts forum … I think this update is a cost saving (more profit) and futureproofing update for the Octatrack.