Am I too late to the party?

I’ve just discovered this device on YouTube and have since chain watched video after video with the OP-1 featured. I hadn’t realised that this has been on the market since 2012 (or thereabouts) and I’ve wanted a device like this for years!

My question is simple, is it worth it for me to buy the OP-1 while the OP-Z is on the horizon, or are they individual instruments with their own uses and ‘personalities’?

I ready to drop a chunk of change on either a brand new model or a second hand model and I love the portable nature of the device. As far as it’s use goes, I’m hoping to use it as a simple introduction to sound synthesis and as a platform for further inspiration (This is far removed from my day job as a piano, keyboard and music theory teacher).

I’d appreciate any honest feedback you can offer me on this as I’m really getting the itch to own one of these!

Thank you

The OP-1 and the OP-Z are two very different beasts. Center piece of the OP-1 is the four track tape, and with its open structure it’s a perfect sketch book and composing tool. The OP-Z seems to be a tool geared towards live situations, including video and DMX sequencing.

Since you are experienced in music theory and practice, the OP-1 should be a perfect companion.

I was hoping someone would say something like that! :smiley:

Thank you for your input :smiley:

Regarding “introduction to sound synthesis”: Teenage Engineering did a splendid job in concealing the actual synthesis parameters and structure behind funny graphics and animations in all their products. If you want to dive into the deeps of sound synthesis, a dedicated synthesizer would be better fitting.

As for the “Am I too late” question: NEVER! :wink:

Nice description - the synthesis hidden behind graphics and animations :slight_smile: very true though.

Yes agreed nicely put. Being a keyboardist already the OP-1 wins over OP-Z for you.
It’s a great intro to sampling and with all its hidden workflows with seq+tapes+sampler+synth/drums there will be so much to experience.
They age well too so thats reassuring 2nd hand if you find a good price/seller.
Things that break common are replaceable -in/out board and knob caps.

Just consider that the keyboard has no velocity. I personally never missed it and there are also some workarounds with Lfo’s and the tape to give it more dynamic.

Other people have said this better than me here, but I like the OP-1 because of its constraints, apparently simple functions which become deep and creative the more time you spend with it and the fun it brings back to making music and messing about with sound, either seriously spending time creating a track or just doodling with it for hours turning a sample of a cow mooing into the interior of an abandoned space station. :slight_smile: I’ve got Ableton Live and Reaktor which I do use a lot, and for adding nicer reverbs, etc. to OP-1 sounds, but for that plain old buzz of just messing around and having fun making stuff the OP-1 is what does it for me. It was a lot of money to get (saved up me pennies!) but it was worth it. For the OP-Z I can’t say as I’ve only seen the videos, etc. and never played with one. Looks flipping amazing for performance stuff, though. Will be seriously having a look when it comes out.

This is sounding better and better with every post :smiley:

I think I may be in the less common position of having all of the theory and performance capabilities but very little in the way of sound manipulation. I have Cubase and a good set of convolution reverbs and VSTs but most of the time I sit at the computer with a blank expression, fiddle with some sounds and unnecessarily complex chord sequences before laying down something that makes me want to cringe into my rib cage.

Thank you all for your posts, I just need to sort out some pennies now…

EDIT: I hope to be around for a good while as getting the OP-1 seems inevitable now. If I can help in any way with any style of piano, keyboard and theory, drop me a message and I’ll try to help out :smiley: