MPC1000 Users?

Any MPC1000 users here?

Really want to get a standalone sampler with pads to batter. Something to sit beside my turntable or plug spotify into and grab loops to have fun with away from a computer.
Really love the look of the 1000 and how it can be customised.

How is it to use though? Even with JJOS is it still a pain in the ass? Especially compared to more modern workflows (Push, Maschine and even the new MPC Touch and Live)

The (cheaper), more portable, and battery powered alternative is just to grab Akai MPD218 or MPC Element and use it with iMPC Pro (Which I already have) on iPad.
Would this just be a whole lot easier to use too? The pads on these controllers are actually meant to be decent.

MPC1000 user here, love it but quick and easy it ain’t hence why I’m getting an SP404 too.

I’m not wanting it to do sequencing of external gear, it’s just really to do Rhythm Roulette type jams where I grab some samples and make some fun beat sketches that could be developed further down the line.

My brain tells me to go the IMPC Pro (App) with MPC Element / MPD218 route as it’s easy and portable.
My heart and eyes remind me of how f*cking a custom MPC1000 can look and will look on my desk :wink:

Have you got an OP-1? because it does this really well :slight_smile:

Long time MPC 1000 with JJOS2XL user, love it. It’s a workhorse for those type of things and it does look cool. I pimped mine a bit with wood side panels and white pads.
That said, I’m now using the OP-1 like I used my MPC1K : sample on the fly, slice, sequence (or not) and loop:
- Drums on track 1,
- main sample on track 2,
- extra layer on track 3
- bassline on track 4.

Then do do some track mutes with delay effect and high pass and on to the next beat. 20 of these and you have a beat set you can take anywhere with you :slight_smile: Simple approach like Damu the fudgemunk with his MPC2000 classic.
That said, if I didn’t have the OP-1 I’d use the MP though. And the MPC1000 has way more tracks but not battery powered.

if u can live w/o the slicing, the 500 is a gem for easy & portable…

I’d need to do the slicing onboard.

I used to have an OP-1 but sold it - one of my lifes biggest regrets. :wink:

It’s the hard-wearing pads that appeal for this type of musicmaking as I’ll be battering whatever im using doing drums as well as slicing and reshuffling samples. I wouldnt like to hit a OP-1 as hard as I hit maschine.

I'd need to do the slicing onboard.

I used to have an OP-1 but sold it - one of my lifes biggest regrets. ;)

It's the hard-wearing pads that appeal for this type of musicmaking as I'll be battering whatever im using doing drums as well as slicing and reshuffling samples. I wouldnt like to hit a OP-1 as hard as I hit maschine.

I’d be willing to bet the OP-1 can take anything you throw at it, every bit as good as the 1000. The only thing you’d miss is the velocity.

If you’ve ever seen @<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/446/lefilou” class=“Username” style=“font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>lefilou’s beat production on an OP-1, you’d forego this whim, and get another OP-1. He turns the water into wine w/ that thang.

An aside… I nabbed an MPC Live, and it’s a pretty complete package.

@unflattered this is the one of nicest thing I have ever heard. Thanks! I have to say you’re not that bad either!!

Have you got an OP-1? because it does this really well :)

Long time MPC 1000 with JJOS2XL user, love it. It's a workhorse for those type of things and it does look cool. I pimped mine a bit with wood side panels and white pads.
That said, I'm now using the OP-1 like I used my MPC1K : sample on the fly, slice, sequence (or not) and loop:
- Drums on track 1,
- extra layer on track 3
- bassline on track 4.

Then do do some track mutes with delay effect and high pass and on to the next beat. 20 of these and you have a beat set you can take anywhere with you :-) Simple approach like Damu the fudgemunk with his MPC2000 classic.
That said, if I didn't have the OP-1 I'd use the MP though. And the MPC1000 has way more tracks but not battery powered.

There should be a like button for posts like this. Thanks for sharing the workflow. Big fan of your vids too! Especially the Melbourne ones, but that’s only cause I’m biased living here lol.

Have you got an OP-1? because it does this really well :)

Long time MPC 1000 with JJOS2XL user, love it. It's a workhorse for those type of things and it does look cool. I pimped mine a bit with wood side panels and white pads.
That said, I'm now using the OP-1 like I used my MPC1K : sample on the fly, slice, sequence (or not) and loop:
- Drums on track 1,
- extra layer on track 3
- bassline on track 4.

Then do do some track mutes with delay effect and high pass and on to the next beat. 20 of these and you have a beat set you can take anywhere with you :-) Simple approach like Damu the fudgemunk with his MPC2000 classic.
That said, if I didn't have the OP-1 I'd use the MP though. And the MPC1000 has way more tracks but not battery powered.

There should be a like button for posts like this. Thanks for sharing the workflow. Big fan of your vids too! Especially the Melbourne ones, but that’s only cause I’m biased living here lol.

Awww thanks mate, I have new beat ready. I might do a new vid this Sunday on a nice london rooftop!

lefilou - look forward to the new beat.

A friend of a friend got the new MPC Live. We are all due to have a jam soon so might hopefully get a chance to play with it.

A friend of a friend got the new MPC Live. We are all due to have a jam soon so might hopefully get a chance to play with it.

Been lurking on that one as well…,

Have one on pre order, they havent arrived down under yet! Never had an mpc before .....super excited

Still using my mpc2000 from the 90’s. I got a massive scsi library and I got it to talk to the OP via the axoloti. MPC Midi out to the Griffin studioconnect let me sequence my AniMoog that way as well.