advice on hardware samplers

hi folks
i’m thinking about getting more advanced sampler as sampling on pc somehow doesn’t cut it for me.
one thing i need to say; i don’t want octatrack. i owned one, loved it but it consumed all my time!
What i need; stereo sampling; being able to play unlimited length of the sample would be nice. don’t need parameter locks or crazy effects.
When recording I usually cut my samples and trigger them from pc via midi. For live gigs it would be great if I could take it as a standalone without laptop.
Cheers

Take a look at the Roland SP-404SX.

Take a look at the Roland SP-404SX.
Thanks Completely forgot about this one, cool

I just picked up the 404 and loving it, easy to use and so much fun to jam with. I got mine $385 new off Amazon, only difference is the manual is in Japanese.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002NJR7FW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497387743&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sp-404sx&dpPl=1&dpID=515bFilBmqL&ref=plSrch

Do you like easy loops?
Rc 505 or Kaoss pad3

The Korg Microsampler is decent.
You can have 36 samples per bank, up to like 3 minutes per bank at 48k stereo or double that at 22k mono (you can vary per sample, bank not married to sample rate), eight banks. No memory cards though, all internal memory.
Basic MIDI step recorder (16 sequences of up to 99 steps each), XLR or stereo composite inputs, nice effects, resampling is easy.
It used to be my main sampler. Got comfortable with the keyboard, velocity sensitive keys and not too springy.
Priced around the same as the 404SX on eBay or Reverb usually.

MPC1000

^ MPC1000 is a thing of beauty, especially when they’ve had a bit of customisation. I’d totally HAVE one but I don’t NEED one :wink:

How were you sampling on your PC? Just in AbletonLive? How were you triggering samples?
I’m asking as I was wondering if you’ve ever tried Ableton PUSH or Maschine? It feels like you are working with a hardware sampler but have all the benefits of it being on your computer.

I just picked up the 404 and loving it, easy to use and so much fun to jam with. I got mine $385 new off Amazon, only difference is the manual is in Japanese.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002NJR7FW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497387743&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sp-404sx&dpPl=1&dpID=515bFilBmqL&ref=plSrch

good price… 404 is one to consider… thanks

Do you like easy loops? Rc 505 or Kaoss pad3

not sure what are easy loops? not very keen on RC 505, but yeah… KAOSS pad might be another to consider… I need to have a proper look at it. Thanks

The Korg Microsampler is decent.
You can have 36 samples per bank, up to like 3 minutes per bank at 48k stereo or double that at 22k mono (you can vary per sample, bank not married to sample rate), eight banks. No memory cards though, all internal memory.
Basic MIDI step recorder (16 sequences of up to 99 steps each), XLR or stereo composite inputs, nice effects, resampling is easy.
It used to be my main sampler. Got comfortable with the keyboard, velocity sensitive keys and not too springy.
Priced around the same as the 404SX on eBay or Reverb usually.

the sample length limit is the only thing I don’t like about it…

thanks

MPC1000

I was looking at the new MPC Live and the touch screen is a bit off putting… don’t know why… so yeah MPC 1000 might be a good alternative.

thanks

^ MPC1000 is a thing of beauty, especially when they've had a bit of customisation. I'd totally HAVE one but I don't NEED one ;)

How were you sampling on your PC? Just in AbletonLive? How were you triggering samples?
I'm asking as I was wondering if you've ever tried Ableton PUSH or Maschine? It feels like you are working with a hardware sampler but have all the benefits of it being on your computer.

I never tried ableton push… I somehow don’t get ableton at all. I wish I could but the grid is just too complicated… I started with electronic music on Atari … with Cubase and it’s difficult for me to change my mind-set. I’d love to learn how to use all those things, but I don’t know anyone who works with them. I’m a bit old fashioned. I bought Octatrack, but apart from the fact that I spent way too much time on it, I struggled to find a way how to include it in my setup. I had a chance to play with the Machine… I liked it, but it’s a bit overpriced if you look at what it is … a midi controller.

Just a few points on the 404 to consider, not sure if it pertains to your work flow though.

Pattern sequencer is one track and does not retain BPM, the tempo is global over all patterns. I just take notes for each pattern.

While sampling you can not play back anything, nothing on the fly. This is brutal for me cause I like to record my guitar over the pattern then apply. I’m trying lots of work around, so far listening on headphones while recording the guitar into my jamman solo looper pedal then back to the 404. Works but brutal, any ideas are welcome!!

Pads are not velocity sensitive.

On a side note I started with a MPC500 which is a killer box but like you with the octratrack I ended up spending to much time with it. Once time frees up the two together will be awesome, where one lacks the other excels.

Have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDUMMOKY3jo

Great look at samplers. It actually has re-invigorated my use of the OP1 synth sampler to just sample one shots and pitch them around

i have a boss sp-505, great effects and a nifty sequencer.

MPC1000

I was looking at the new MPC Live and the touch screen is a bit off putting.. don't know why.. so yeah MPC 1000 might be a good alternative.

thanks

Yeah, I took opportunity to grab an MPC1000 with JJOS2XL (alternative, and much improve third party OS) on eBay recently, the new MPCs are making the older models a lot more affordable on there. :) Like you, I find a touch screen to be a real step in the wrong direction, I look at screens enough at work.

It really is a terrific machine, as deep as you want it to be. I have only really scratched the surface so far and getting some really cool sounds out of it. Rock solid too so no fears with live use. After trimming samples on your computer just dump em on the CF card and you're good to go.

Just a few points on the 404 to consider, not sure if it pertains to your work flow though.

Pattern sequencer is one track and does not retain BPM, the tempo is global over all patterns. I just take notes for each pattern.

While sampling you can not play back anything, nothing on the fly. This is brutal for me cause I like to record my guitar over the pattern then apply. I’m trying lots of work around, so far listening on headphones while recording the guitar into my jamman solo looper pedal then back to the 404. Works but brutal, any ideas are welcome!!

Pads are not velocity sensitive.

On a side note I started with a MPC500 which is a killer box but like you with the octratrack I ended up spending to much time with it. Once time frees up the two together will be awesome, where one lacks the other excels.

one track? :frowning: bummer

Have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDUMMOKY3jo

Great look at samplers. It actually has re-invigorated my use of the OP1 synth sampler to just sample one shots and pitch them around

pitch them? I thought you can’t do that on op1… only transpose. see I’ve never looked into the manual or properly watched any tutorial so there’s a chance that some of the functions are still undiscovered

MPC1000

I was looking at the new MPC Live and the touch screen is a bit off putting.. don't know why.. so yeah MPC 1000 might be a good alternative.

thanks

Yeah, I took opportunity to grab an MPC1000 with JJOS2XL (alternative, and much improve third party OS) on eBay recently, the new MPCs are making the older models a lot more affordable on there. :) Like you, I find a touch screen to be a real step in the wrong direction, I look at screens enough at work.

It really is a terrific machine, as deep as you want it to be. I have only really scratched the surface so far and getting some really cool sounds out of it. Rock solid too so no fears with live use. After trimming samples on your computer just dump em on the CF card and you're good to go.

yeah i’m leaning towards mpc… is it not possible to trim samples on mpc?