Why is my pattern sequencer only has 15 steps?

I’m new to the device and when I got to the pattern sequencer, I only have 15 steps. What am I doing wrong?

White knob needs to be turned :slight_smile:

I turned but it just won’t go to the 16th step. It stops at 15.

Mine goes to 16

Yeah, that’s why I don’t understand what’s happening

The last line. Is 17. Maybe that helps?

That was embarrasing haha, thanks though!

:). Its a deep and sometimes confusing machine.

What you are seeing is the end of step 15s sustain time, moving towards step 1 (again). We can never select that final step ,as play moves back to 1.
If you are unsure ,count out a 4/4.

What you are seeing is the end of step 15s sustain time, moving towards step 1 (again). We can never select that final step ,as play moves back to 1. If you are unsure ,count out a 4/4.

the op1 pattern sequencer doesnt play the beat at the same time as the playhead. the playhead is 1/4 note ahead of the beat. this is either a programming error or a design error – i am not sure which. you cannot rely on the playhead for timing.

cheers, peter.

also, the grid shows 17 steps, but only 16 are programmable. another design error.

cheers, peter

0-1 equals one step mate. no need to get crazy. If you don’t like it then just return it or sell it. Being nit-picky about design and creating will never yield any positive results. I myself visit this forum to find tidbits of ideas to help me figure out this weird box enough to have fun with it. If you need to vent just make a ton of music you don’t like over and over and then delete it and start over. Every freaking day is a new experience join the fun.

there are 17 steps shown. there should be 16. just like the 707 has 16, not 17 steps. 0 is not a step, the first step on the 707 is 1. imo saying a 16 step sequencer should display 16 steps (like the 707) and not 17 is not nit-picky. saying the playhead should “be in time” is not nit-picky. saying the step sequencer should “be in time with the clock” is not nit-picky. these are elementary mistakes. saying “hold” should be “play” (like the 707) is not nit-picky.

it is interesting that people say about the OP1: “you have to learn it’s quirks” or “it doesnt work as expected”. which is something i’m sure was not the intention of the designers, and prob an insult to them. what bothers me is the design of the outside of the OP1 says “we took care to get the design right” but the inside has basic user interface mistakes. dieter would say “honest design” ie, if you present design excellence on the outside, you better deliver it on the inside.

i’m not getting crazy here. :wink: just wished they got the insides as right as the outsides.

peace, peter.

The very last bar in the step you see in that seq is basically a 0 it is the same as the first step in a sense as far as that last 17th step would be the first step and or 0 if your just sequencing 16 step patterns. blabla bla. i have more fun just playing sounds that messing with sequencing its is a great little box despite the limitations.

I think I used the pattern sequencer only once in an early battle. I could work with it, but I prefer the finger one where you can add the second sequencer for random results. I like the inside design as well, even when some parts work diffrently so you have to change your perspective, but there’s no perfection, the world would be boring. Btw I’m not using the seq that often…

What you are seeing is the end of step 15s sustain time, moving towards step 1 (again). We can never select that final step ,as play moves back to 1. If you are unsure ,count out a 4/4.

the op1 pattern sequencer doesnt play the beat at the same time as the playhead. the playhead is 1/4 note ahead of the beat. this is either a programming error or a design error – i am not sure which. you cannot rely on the playhead for timing.

cheers, peter.

very confusing, my pattern sequencer starts right in time right on the beat I turn it on at. Maybe you need to reset the blue encoder (maybe it’s the white encoder? I don’t use pattern much and aren’t home) to the start of the pattern? Or You must have a faulty op-1?

yeah maybe its a problem with firmware v220??

there are 17 vertical lines in the grid. if i put a BD on the first vertical line (the left most line). when i turn the orange encoder it plays the BD on vertical line 1, but highlights vertical line 2. the playhead is always ahead of the beat by 1/4 note.

is there a way to firmware reset? perhaps i shd downgrade to v218?

thx for your help :slight_smile:

edit: this vid shows the playhead starting on beat 2. https://youtu.be/Cl-_0b19zbQ

peace, peter.

yeah maybe its a problem with firmware v220??

there are 17 vertical lines in the grid. if i put a BD on the first vertical line (the left most line). when i turn the orange encoder it plays the BD on vertical line 1, but highlights vertical line 2. the playhead is always ahead of the beat by 1/4 note.

is there a way to firmware reset? perhaps i shd downgrade to v218?

thx for your help :slight_smile:

edit: this vid shows the playhead starting on beat 2. https://youtu.be/Cl-_0b19zbQ

peace, peter.

I’m gonna stop watching .39 seconds in… at that point it very clearly shows the pattern playing the first beat on the first beat… he doesn’t reset the blu encoder when we turns the orange knob. So it doesn’t play when we first turns the knob, but when it comes back around it hits right on the one. Had he turned the blue encoder back to the start before turning the orange knob you would have heard the drum hit on the first beat.

at 0:34 he turns the orange encoder. the beat on step 1 plays and at the same time the playhead highlights step 2 instead of 1.

same at 2:42

peace

ill make a video that shows it more obviously when i get home. :slight_smile: