I-1 Impossible Camera

So, our benevolent overlords at Teenage Engineering made a camera, an INSTANT ANALOGUE CAMERA to maximize their Hipster Zone Cred, no less.

Considering it’s a piece of kit by TO that, while not music related, is at least a creative machine, I figured it could use a topic here. To sort of tie it to music, well, you can shoot your album cover with it like T-Swift did for 1989

The reviews are all over the place. Some say it’s really great and others say it’s a waste of money. Seems to eat up a lot of funds because the film is expensive and possibly not as good as competing instant film on a per-shot basis (the competition is Fuji’s Instax Wide, the I-1 uses Impossible 600).

If I buy an instant camera, I’d be using it for scrapbooking and for giving pictures to friends, but years of watching my dad hem and haw about any purchasing decision whatsoever means I need to weigh pros and cons until the end of time before laying down any money.

Did anybody pick this up or have experience with modern instant photography?

I don’t need a toy camera that only captures expensive, blurry, pocket-sized pictures and neither do you. Would rather donate the $ to charity, buy more equipment or better yet, exchange it for more free time so I can make music.

I don't need a toy camera that only captures expensive, blurry, pocket-sized pictures and neither do you. Would rather donate the $ to charity, buy more equipment or better yet, exchange it for more free time so I can make music.

Throwin’ shade here, no mercy, I like it.

I like instant photography because it’s chemical magic, and I like the lo-fi aesthetic.

And really, is making music in our basements with 2000 dollar beeping machines any less of a waste of hard-earned money that could go to better causes?

All art hobbies are, when you get down to it, pointless wastes of time and money, and I we don’t want it any other way because any creative endeavour, no matter how pointless, is good for the soul

You have a point, but also already a camera I bet. What photos would you take with the instant camera that your phone already cannot take? You can find an old and more authentic polaroid camera that uses cheaper film on ebay. I wish more people would invest more money in their free time instead of borderline useless gadgets. 200$ means I can take a week off, I would rather have that than most things in this price range. But of course, it’s up to you.

+1 @ahahaha

I got it for my girlfriend as a xmas present last year. It’s very close to very cool, but falls short. Unreliable battery life, an occasional mind of it’s own when using certain features (multiple exposures in particular) and a maddeningly limited focusing system (read: guesswork or break out a tape measure) all add up to an infuriating mix that boils down to a almost but not quite cocktail. Lump in the fact that the Impossible film is expensive yet needs a lot of finessing (muddy, no contrast shots or outright duds) before the price they’re asking, i feel, can be warranted. However, the camera looks beautiful as it collects dust on a display shelf. I could go on, but work.

1 Like
I got it for my girlfriend as a xmas present last year. It's very close to very cool, but falls short. Unreliable battery life, an occasional mind of it's own when using certain features (multiple exposures in particular) and a maddeningly limited focusing system (read: guesswork or break out a tape measure) all add up to an infuriating mix that boils down to a almost but not quite cocktail. Lump in the fact that the Impossible film is expensive yet needs a lot of finessing (muddy, no contrast shots or outright duds) before the price they're asking, i feel, can be warranted. However, the camera looks beautiful as it collects dust on a display shelf. I could go on, but work.

There are other options out there, options I think I will pursue instead of the I-1.

There are, absolutely. Such a missed opportunity. Potentially awesome features hobbled by a frustratingly half-baked execution.

There are, absolutely. Such a missed opportunity. Potentially awesome features hobbled by a frustratingly half-baked execution.

It’s doubly frustrating because TE are usually so good about nailing the design AND usability of things like this. The OP-1 looks good AND works the way it should. Not sure how they dropped the ball this time.

My uncle suggested just getting one of those bluetooth printers, but it’s just not the same, you know? It’s like having 100 synths in Ableton vs. having one real synth with knobs and shit on your desk.

Looking at this one instead

I just rly want the sneakers.

1 Like

I ended up buying the Lomography camera. I looks like hot garbage but it works better (apparently) and has cheaper film. It’ll be fun for my trip next month.

I just rly want the sneakers.

Those are pretty cool. I find their shirts to be kind of boring, though, except the PO one.

Speaking of, actually, remember how the Pocket Operators were in association with Cheap Monday? I looked up Cheap Monday clothes and they are just hideous. Weird partnership there, whereas the Impossible partnership is less weird.

Maybe they will come out with a Mark II version that fixes the issues but I kind of doubt it since the OP-Z is likely eating up all their R&D time.

Hi, there is a new Step 2 camara out now (60 days battery life, no blue tooth…). So the I-1 got cheaper, well still 240€ and I grabed one wirhe the bag. I like unites portable as mich as Te.

But the I-1 is really not good. Its about 3 days battery life, you cant really turn it off. Its always empty when I grab it.

The focus is terrible! all the old 600 are better

The shutter is always 1/125 or 1/60. I cant really find any info, but exposure is always wrong! again all the old 600 are better.

I dont really understand why they can make such a terrible product? or how can i learn to use it correctly?

I already googled a lot, but just find news coverage …

What camera would people recommend for the fuji instax mini? My wife just bought 10 boxes worth, but we don’t have a camera yet :rofl:

If you’re looking for full manual control and experimental stuff, go for Lomo’Instant.
For extra fun, go for the extended set with three extra lens attachments.

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks sick! But will it work with Fuji instax mini? I have 10 rolls of it to use.

My niece suggested buying an Instax printer instead and use your phone as the camera. She said it makes for a better and more flexible solution.

I have the Polaroid “Stranger Things” edition.

What we are paying for with these devices is a bit of a retro curiosity, with a cool design and demonstrating a once-modern (but crap) photographic process.

It’s sure as hell not for the image quality, which varies between atrocious and absolutely atrocious.

If you don’t already own a device, my recommendation would be to save your money and use the film to prop up any wonky tables and chairs you come across.

CB

Yes, definitely!
image|375x500

Yes, but for me it contradicts the idea of ​​instant photography.