Volume knob is not working

All of a sudden the volume knob on my OP-1 stopped working properly. Most of the time it is stuck on one volume, but it seems that in some positions the volume cuts out entirely. Moving it slightly will usually restore the volume. It seems that the volume is now either on, or off - no gradient between those two volumes.

Turning it on and off and changing patches did nothing. I even did a factory reset (probably stupid, I lost whatever was on the tape, but I was desperate), it didn’t help. I plugged in headphones and it seems to do the same thing through them.

Nothing happened between my last usage and today. It just stopped working properly.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and if so, what did you do ?

Thanks for reading - don’t know how I’ll be able to handle not having this baby working.

I heard from TE. They are recommending I replace the UI board ($90+ $30 shipping from iFixit).

Alternatively, they gave me the part # for the potentiometer, if I wanted to try soldering it myself: ALPS RK1191110001.

The part itself is only about 7 dollars, but a Google search reveals only really one place to buy this: a company called “Mouser”, and the shipping charge for the part is about $20.

I’m thinking about trying the soldering route, but I’m completely new to this. Is this a reasonable exercise for a newb ?
1 Like

Just looked at the part and the UI board. It shouldn’t be too difficult. But since you said you have no experience, it makes it tricky to judge how it would go for you. There are 3 pins and then a bunch mounting pins that need to be desoldered. The soldering isn’t the hard part. Removing the old pot is the tricky part. You need to be patient so that you don’t rip off any of the solder pads or desolder some other part (there is only one resistor nearby). Where are you located? Because maybe someone on here is in the area with all the tools and experience needed to help you out.

Just a tip in case you decide to replace it yourself: try to cut out the old part with a plier or dremel in a way that allows you to desolder one pin at a time.

Just a tip in case you decide to replace it yourself: try to cut out the old part with a plier or dremel in a way that allows you to desolder one pin at a time.

so this is how you remove potentiometers. learn something every day

Where are you located? Because maybe someone on here is in the area with all the tools and experience needed to help you out.
THanks everyone !! Looks like I will need to open it up so that I can try to figure out what punji's tip even means !!

GCF: I'm located in Toronto, Canada. Any chance there's some gurus out here, or someone who knows a good place to go ?

thanks !

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo; color: #839496; background-color: #012b36} span.s1 {font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures}

3 months later, and I finally decided I was ready to pay for the UI board from iFixit. And… find that it is no longer in stock. Arggh !!

Thanks for sharing this part number. Anyone had good luck replacing the volume pot?

Hoping not to spend the $150 they are charging now for the board.