Rapture - a video with me MCing, playing a Keytar, and just being cool with a £2 top

'Ello 'ello! How are my fine dandy specimens doing?

I recorded a snippet of a new tune called ‘Rapture’ using the line in of my Sony HDR-MV1 and its camera.

This is all new to me but I thought I’d share it! The Op-1 is doing swishy percussive sound fx - exactly what I love it for. My Sub 37 is the lead. The SE-1 is on bass. TR8’s got the rest of the drums and the A4 also has some drums and ravey synth stabs. The song does continue with some other instruments and a vocal. This all goes through my MX-1 > Drawmer 241 > Drawmer LX20 > Roland Duo Capture EX > and into the Sony. Once I got it into Logic I just put a utility plugin to increase the gain. I put a few mastering plugins on the mix track but took them off because I just don’t want to use plugins.

… hehe it was a lot of fun!

Any thoughts welcome.

https://youtu.be/dx_p34cyihw

EDIT: full version
https://youtu.be/RMpcr3U9zm8

NICE! love your set up too!

I just bought (again) a roland TR-8 and added a TB-3 to it this time to go with my OP-1, Roland GAIA and Juno Stage along with an old D-50 and SH-32. I have been thinking about getting the MX-1, how do you like it? System-1? I also use Logic. Do you set your clock with the TR-8 or the MX-1 or Logic?

Thanks, I hope you don’t mind me picking your brain, I want to learn how to better set up this stuff for better workflow. Thanks for sharing!

OMG. It looks like you’re in a space ship! Great tunes, sir.

NICE! love your set up too!

I just bought (again) a roland TR-8 and added a TB-3 to it this time to go with my OP-1, Roland GAIA and Juno Stage along with an old D-50 and SH-32. I have been thinking about getting the MX-1, how do you like it? System-1? I also use Logic. Do you set your clock with the TR-8 or the MX-1 or Logic?

Thanks, I hope you don't mind me picking your brain, I want to learn how to better set up this stuff for better workflow. Thanks for sharing!

Hey buddy! Thanks for your lovely message.
Oh nice, you have some juicy gear! Pick my brain as much as you want mate :slight_smile: I’ll be happy if I can help, I wish I knew more though. :slight_smile:

I think the MX-1 is a wonderful tool for the creation and manipulation of beats. Elektron users would love a machine like this for their machines so I read. Simple things like sidechain can be instantly implemented. It feels weird not having an eq section on a desk but the tone control knob and the other effects at hand made my initial concern diminish.
I’ve got the System 1 and 1m. The plugouts are incredible and on this particular track I play a solo with the System 100 plugout a bit later on. The original synth is great by itself just like the go-to reviewers say (Sound on Sound and Nick from Sonic State). The supersaw and supersquare are great waveforms to play around with as to are the other waveforms that were added in an update. FM is great and so is FM+Logic.

Your set up will continue to evolve around you and it’s always great to experiment. I love hours passing by like ships in the night for experimentation purposes. The MX-1 will definitely bring your setup together more than your average mixer with effect chains or effects built into them. What’s your final goal? The MX-1 is like it says on the box - a performance mixer - so playing a live set with interesting modulations is easily attainable. It can be multitracked, its best on Ableton to do that. I have been a Logic user for over a decade and learnt Ableton to multitrack.

Midi clock is sent from my Octatrack. It’s a super midi controller. It’s midi goes into a Roland A880 and then gets sent to everything else. I think a midi controller is essential for your set up.

One tip: I found finding a permanent spot for my gear really helps my creative side. I used to take it down and set it back up every time on the living room table. Although I do switch it around a little bit, it remains relatively the same. I flick a few switches and let the electricity flow

H

OMG. It looks like you’re in a space ship! Great tunes, sir.

Hahaha
All aboard the Starship Enterprise. This is your captain speaking. :slight_smile:
Thank you for the comments! It’s really encouraging to hear them.

https://youtu.be/RMpcr3U9zm8

Finished the song come jam for now! I’m happy with this. There is probably some blazing error somewhere but hey ho and all that jazz! BOOYA!

If boogaloo shrimp can rock to it, i approve!!!

Cool vid man for real.
If boogaloo shrimp can rock to it, i approve!!!!!!

Cool vid man for real.

Thanks man, haha

Appreciated.