In depth OP-Z Music Sequencer Tutorial

Hello, are you ready?

I went to visit TE not too long ago, and I got to try out the still heavily in development OP-Z. Demonstrating a new multi functional magic portable TE machine at a noisy NAMM show floor isn’t the easiest thing. So we agreed that we could show a more in depth video about just the music side of the OP-Z in a video like this. So here’s a tutorial on just the music. The sounds. The sequencer. The step components (which I repeatedly keep calling trig conditions in the video, he he) and as much as I could think of surrounding the music experience on the OP-Z. It is first and foremost a powerful and fun synth and performance machine, after all!
https://youtu.be/IuzMG1Wt_pE

Awesome @Cuckoo , about to watch it now!!! Thanks for sharing, it looks a shade darker grey than the old NAMM version.

AWWWEEEEEEE YEAAAH! Thanks for posting!

Awesome @Cuckoo , about to watch it now!!!!!! Thanks for sharing, it looks a shade darker grey than the old NAMM version.

Cool. Yeah I’m not sure about the colour. The lighting at NAMM is really bright. The OP-1 is off white, but it always looked white in the NAMM videos.

AWWWEEEEEEE YEAAAH! Thanks for posting!

<3

Was about to post this! Haha, can’t wait to watch <3

So excite

I just finished the video. Wow. Seems like you can stay simple or go deep and still get something fun/musical/useful out of it. No one ever seems to show the top of the thing… Can you answer if there are cv/gate/3.5midi outputs??

Thanks, Cuckoo!
I just finished the video. Wow. Seems like you can stay simple or go deep and still get something fun/musical/useful out of it. No one ever seems to show the top of the thing... Can you answer if there are cv/gate/3.5midi outputs??

Thanks, Cuckoo!

The top is unannounced stuff. That’s why I’m not showing it :wink:

On the official OP-Z page though, it says MIDI and CV track sequencing. They’ve just not shown how it’s actually going to work.

And thanks for watching! I think too that you can whop stuff up pretty fast, or go deeper. I’m looking forward to it a lot now that I’ve had the chance to try it out. Especiallyl looking forward to more sound engines and content.

I just finished the video. Wow. Seems like you can stay simple or go deep and still get something fun/musical/useful out of it. No one ever seems to show the top of the thing... Can you answer if there are cv/gate/3.5midi outputs??

Thanks, Cuckoo!

The top is unannounced stuff. That’s why I’m not showing it :wink:

On the official OP-Z page though, it says MIDI and CV track sequencing. They’ve just not shown how it’s actually going to work.

And thanks for watching! I think too that you can whop stuff up pretty fast, or go deeper. I’m looking forward to it a lot now that I’ve had the chance to try it out. Especiallyl looking forward to more sound engines and content.

Heard! I’m just giddy to know how that will function. Excited about the possibilities!!!

Well hello p-locks.

Hype train leaving the station! ALL ABOARD!!!

great job as always cuckoo!

Can’t wait, looks next level!

That was A M A Z I N G !

Looks really fun, but sounds grown up.

Step compenents are really powerful. pity the LEDs aren’t a different colour for those steps with components applied, I think this is where the screen would come in handy, esp, with multi track, multi step component madness going on.

Hey @cuckoo, are they soft rubber buttons we are looking at in the video.

So happy TE have decided to make another synth!!!

Thanks Cuckoo, really appreciate what you’ve been doing. This was great. Also, I dug the Bastl Doc you put out recently and would love to see you do the same with other makers like TE and Elektron.

yeah +1 the Bastl doco was lovely. Great community!

This looks awesome. Like the ultimate step between OP and PO’s. Depending on the cv/midi implementation this could be a really legitimate competitor to Elektron gear (as a master sequencer I mean, still lots of other differences)

I really wonder how they will integrate this with OP1, as it would be a shame to have all these p-locks (that are colour-coded) and not have the ability to at least sequence OP1 drums and synths simultaneously. To make this work, the OP1 would have to made multi-timbral though.

OR OR OR

Maybe there is a multi-timbral synth (OP2? OPX?) in the works. I would guess it would be synth-only, without a screen and no sequencers, and will require the OPZ to sequence it. Same size as OPZ so they will be companion devices: OPZ - master sequencer with some sounds, tape, then the OPX - full synth with bigger keys, velocity, aftertouch, mod and pitch controls. Announced at NAMM 2018. OP1 will be discontinued, and the combo of OPZ and OPX will be slightly higher price than the OP1.

You heard it here first people.

I also really hope this works well with the OP-1.

great vid - thanks for making that.

it really helped to see how usable the unit is without any screen.

Thanks for the video @Cuckoo - a really interesting and well explained overview of the OP-Z in its current state.

The whole shift + another button and recording process is very familiar from the OP-1. Aside from the OP-1 none of my music gear has screens which is generally my preference and this looks very simple to move around.

I’m fully onboard with the functions and form factor, the deal-breaker for me is the sounds. I’m ok with buying packs (if done in a sensible way) but the level of sound design (e.g. turning a kick drum into sometime else entirely) and ability to import my own sounds is key.

@,@ Intense.

I never really enjoyed any of the OP-1 sequencers, just found them too blocky and restrictive. This however takes it to a whole different level, it’s almost overwhelming the amount of stuff there is.

Thanks for the vid