Folktek Mescaline

H.G. Wells called…he wants his new-fangled contraption back.
I’m GASsing hard over this one…all that copper. Looks like an alien computer, standalone or eurorack compatible, interchangeable breadboards, very psychedelic red-panel workflow like Berkeley 1966 style, unique steampunk aesthetic, all for $699 (or $450 pre-order.) Tempting.

I have the Matter eurorack module. Original version with the aged copper. So sexy. And it really makes some fun sounds and I think there’s a version of it in this new thing… Crud… I might have just barely enough leftover from tax refunds to get in on this. Especially as this pre-order price is not much more than the ‘Conduit’ or ‘Matter’ eurorack modules on their own.

damnnnnnnn this looks really cool - only problem is all the vids pretty much just show droney/pad sound with occasional white noise snares. would be interesting to see more on how the poly synth works (e.g if it has ENV, wave choice?).

those mini patchbays look scary tho…

There was already another thread https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3212/folktek-mescaline, perhaps an admin can merge these?

Agree @millbastard the details on the synth are scant. I emailed Folktek and asked them to give some additional info on it. Kinda strange there’s so little information considering it’s a crowdfunding campaign!

Instant Trend Reznor soundtrack machine! I came very close to pulling the triggert, but then decided I’d probably mostly just get frustrated trying to figure out how it works, and it would be mostly unproductive for me in the long run.

@vehka definitely let us know if you hear back, would be interesting to hear any more about it

@wingo 100%, has that Swarmatron feel

ping @millbastard, Arius answered me this morning:

<div class=“gmail_default” style=“color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-size: 12.8px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: “courier new”, monospace;”>Sorry for the delay in getting back. we’re drowning in email over here.
<div class=“gmail_default” style=“color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-size: 12.8px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: “courier new”, monospace;”>I’ll see if I can make a video but we’re modifying our prototype at the moment to implement changes and it’s getting a bit ugly. New prototype with new features (including a new vactrol trigger and new effect control, effect selector) is in manufacturing and will be here by the end of the week, but I’m not sure it’ll be done before the gogo is over.<div class=“gmail_default” style=“color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-size: 12.8px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: “courier new”, monospace;”>In the meantime, Channel is a slightly stripped down version of Aether:
http://folktek.com/instruments/symbiotic/aether
The only major differences being that Channel has half the oscillators, 10 keys only and each is tunable, 10 note polyphony, it lacks an amp section for touch control like the aether has, but it has an equally large reverb (and now Channel also has the added notated delay). Each note can be triggered with gates sent by our sequencer.
These are individual oscillators which can all be tuned together with the master pitch control. At their root, they’re square waves but they’ve been shaped to be softer and more rounded, some rounded tri/square thing so the sound in nice and not just…square (which isn’t a bad thing of course). These are not just some simple 555 timer circuits. Attack is basically dependent on how lightly you touch and there’s a slight decay in amplitude (we’re still going back and forth on how long that decay should be) but there are no other adsr control and there is no wave shaping beyond the effects and Mental (which will shape the hell out of Channel in many ways).

@vehka oooooohhhhh just got a whole lot more interesting…

"<span style=“background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: “courier new”, monospace; font-size: 12.8px;”>These are not just some simple 555 timer circuits"
<span style=“background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: “courier new”, monospace; font-size: 12.8px;”>
Funny, that was literally my first thought when I saw it was 10 separate oscillators, glad it’s deeper than that (I built a 16 osc 555 synth and it was brutal AF)

The extra effect is gonna push a few peeps over the edge I think, the delay sounds really cool

Yeah, I looked at some Aether vids this morning, and I think I could work with that. I just need some more info on how “Mental” can process incoming audio, and if I’m happy with that, I think I’ll be a backer.

@vehka I left a comment on Folktek’s FB page about the inputs to channel - it looks like channel is hardwired to one of the inputs and can’t be patched out, so therefore you’d only be able to use it as a mono-in for external processing. Massive bummer.

That said, I have such a morbid curiosity about this synth - and especially as a “poor mans” modular (I have no desire to go down that lane at all), I might just take the leap. The copper looks fantastic IMO. Wack some wooden sides on it for more stability and I think it could be a really interesting addition to the studio.

Yeah “morbid curiosity” is just right @millbastard.

Still on the fence about this. Mono in is a bummer, but not necessary a dealbreaker for me. I kind of like the breadboard-style patch cables, I already have an Olegtron 4060 and a Kastle, and currently borrowing a friend’s Werkstatt, so that’s my “modular standard” anyway. =)

Have to decide in a few days!

@vehka how sturdy are those breadboard/dupont cables and patchbays? It’s literally the only thing that really puts me off - even the initial video shows the dupont cable bent lol.

I kind of wish he’d put a few more vids up to show the tonal possibilities, as the vids he has up it sounds like a big orchestral swell pad, or a glitchy drum synth. Would be interesting to hear some quicker attack sounds or some sequenced melodic lines. Doubt it’s going to happen before the end of the campaign. I’m about 60/40 for pledging at the moment

They’re not really sturdy @millbastard, but serve their function in a studio setting well. I’d be reluctant to do a live patching gig with them though!

Agree that the example sounds are not that interesting. I suppose he’s unwilling to do walkthrough demos of the modules, since they are still hammering out details of the final version.

I think I’ll sit this one out, and save my money for an OP-Z and a 0-coast or something. I was just intrigued by the integration of a performance interface+synth, sequencer and an audio mangler. Maybe I’ll pledge anyway. =) I suppose I’ll get most of my money back if I want to sell it.

@vehka yeah I’m super on the fence about it, but the price is really good for something really interesting… that said, once I pay shipping and convert USD to AUD it will run me about $650, which is the same as a 0-coast… And you’re right, shouldn’t really lose money if it’s resold… Ahhhh! Decisions

Aaaaand it looks like they’ve reached the second stretch goal, making it a 4 part multi fx unit too! I think that’s it for me, I’m going to pledge :slight_smile:

I’m sweatin’ this thing so bad! Trying to resist. Question: this or 0-Coast? I have no experience with modular or euro but I’m looking to get into it. 0-coast seems better for my set-up but the value of Folktek seems amazing with 3 modules. Could use some advice.

@vehka how sturdy are those breadboard/dupont cables and patchbays? It's literally the only thing that really puts me off - even the initial video shows the dupont cable bent lol.

I kind of wish he'd put a few more vids up to show the tonal possibilities, as the vids he has up it sounds like a big orchestral swell pad, or a glitchy drum synth. Would be interesting to hear some quicker attack sounds or some sequenced melodic lines. Doubt it's going to happen before the end of the campaign. I'm about 60/40 for pledging at the moment

Yeah I’d like to hear this as well. It’s hard to tell with reverb. I’d like to hear more about the oscillators and filter. The synth is poly which is cool.

I’m still waffling on this. Part of me has burnt myself out on experimental noise makers after 20+ years of playing with such things. But this example, which is basically like Hafler Trio “Kill the King” in a box… Oo, that’s nice. And something that my existing Matter module cannot do.

https://soundcloud.com/arius-blaze/sounds-of-folktek-mescaline-3-the-soft-pretty-ambient-reverbed-channel

But… still waffling. with only a few hours to go for this great price.

Hey guys, I caved last night and pledged. I was deciding between it and 0-coast as well, but all the bass sounds I hear from the 0-coast sound really similar, whereas this thing is just so bizarre and experimental that I had to dip in. No way I’ll lose money on resale if I don’t like it.

I have a feeling there’s going to be a few more controls on the synth before it’s finished up

Only a few hours to go!
I'm still waffling on this. Part of me has burnt myself out on experimental noise makers after 20+ years of playing with such things. But this example, which is basically like Hafler Trio "Kill the King" in a box... Oo, that's nice. And something that my existing Matter module cannot do.

https://soundcloud.com/arius-blaze/sounds-of-folktek-mescaline-3-the-soft-pretty-ambient-reverbed-channel

But.. still waffling. with only a few hours to go for this great price.

I’m right there with you!