How did OP-1 become a THING/instrument to have for musicians?

Hello,

Most guitarists purchase guitar because their guitar idol plays curtain type of guitar from certain brand. OP-1 is not used too much on stage. Even if OP-1 is used on stage, it is bit small to be seen by people despite of its elegant looks. However, a lot of electronic musicians seem to own OP-1. If you guys know anything about how Teenage Engineering OP-1 became a big deal among musician (history of OP-1 i guess), it would be great help for me as I am dying to know how it became so big.

Thanks in advance!

Interesting question! I’m sure the good people of this great forum will add their take. My take: it’s easy to forget that the OP-1 has been on sale since 2011, so it’s had a chance to gain popularity. For a kick-off there was and still is nothing quite like it as a musical instrument (and I use the term “instrument” advisedly - the OP-1 is a true instrument). Actually, OP-1 is used a fair amount on stage - you’ll get an idea when you look at the “Artists With OP-1” thread. TE announced and previewed the OP-1 well before (years) they started taking pre-orders in 2011 so interest was building right from the start. Indeed, there’s a video in which TE talk about engaging with people throughout the whole process of building and then releasing the OP-1. I’m biased but I’d say this community and Ohpeewon before it also played a part, not to mention all the music and videos that users have posted both here and elsewhere on the web. Finally, I’d say that the main impetus has been the instrument itself - there’s something very special about the OP-1. Again, I’m biased because I love it though I know I’m not the only one who feels this way!

I know, personally, it’s all Jeremy Blake’s (Red Means Recording) fault! That’s right Jeremy… it’s on you buddy! ha ha

I had seen the OP-1 demonstrated after seeing some video after they either announced it or debuted it. I also caught a glimpse of it on an NPR Tiny Desk Concert with Chvrches.

But it was discovering one of Jeremy’s youtube videos that I took a keen interest. But then, I could NEVER spend that kind of money… no never! I told my wife, after she saw the video and insisted “you know you have to own one of those, right?” that I just couldn’t see spending that kind of money… etc.

Two weeks later, I was an owner! :slight_smile: It’s my favorite instrument (I own a lot of excellent instruments too) and it goes most places with me. I may never be “Jeremy good” on it, but it thrills my musical soul every time I hold it or play it!

portability, usability, originality, versatility…

in a word - innovation.

it approaches old challenges in a way that allows people to find unexpected solutions.
portability, usability, originality, versatility...

in a word - innovation.

it approaches old challenges in a way that allows people to find unexpected solutions.

Perfectly put, I doff my cap :wink:

Bon Iver is a popular musician who recently made an OP-1 heavy album and preached its awesomeness

Cheap and accessible Pocket Operators fueling interest/purchases of the flagship synth

portability, usability, originality, versatility...

in a word - innovation.

Most definitely, innovation for sure!

There still isn’t any direct competition for the OP-1 in the synth/sampler market after 6+ years either. It’s what I was hoping the Korg Microsampler would have been, but beyond. If Korg would have Frankensteined together the Microsampler and MicroKorg they might have captured that OP-1 niche market earlier. To get the same range of workflow options as the OP-1 now it would take 10 bowls of your normal breakfast cereal… a bigger initial investment and you’d have a steeper learning curve (more gear required, midi headaches, less portability).

Standalone workstation options are fairly limited, especially if you want something truly portable with a built-in keyboard. You may want to look up the Open Labs Miko, it was basically a laptop with a bunch of accessories in one machine that ran on WindowsXP. I don’t know if anybody besides Timbaland ever owned one of those, but the company said Windows Flaming Shit Pile Edition Vista is what killed the project (seems like a design flaw if the whole project was dependent on a non-dedicated OS from a third-party, should have at least used an open source OS in that case).

Even though the OP-1 is rather limited compared to many other workstations it brings something new and very valuable to the table, a different perspective. That alone is refreshing to see, but the fact that TE continues to support this machine so well means they have a passion for their work, which artists of all sorts can appreciate and respect. This community forum is evidence of that.

cuz it the musical iphone and all the cool kids are being spotted with one