OP-1 Gain Structure

Can we have a thread about this?

I’ve had my op-1 for quite a few months now (being repaired, but that’s another story), when I can get it to work (I am firstly very happy :P) I find that I still can’t figure out the gain structure…

I have been a sound guy for a living at various times in my life… From live sound to mastering… Anyways, I just have trouble figuring out why I get crackling sounds sometimes on lil Opie… The master gain to me adds a lot of crackle, no matter what settings I use on the output valume…

Any tips? Any breakthroughs? Anyone wrestle with this, but come to some kind of enlightened state? Save me the anguish plz <3

Luv

The cracklings are my #1 frustration about the OP-1

I tend to get less when aiming at 50% on input volume (orange encoder) in tape mode, and not exceeding 80% on master. then i adjust with drive. the distortion is different

The cracks are really obvious on chords. it reminds me of the cracking sound in ableton when CPU can’t keep up.
i find it almost impossible to get a nice pure clean sine tone chord out of it.
However on mono/lead/drum sounds it isn’t a problem at all.

Damn @sloth… At least I’m not the only one… But I hear a lot of OP-1 vids w/ no rice bubbles (snap, crackle & pop) at all … Maybe they have a secret different version. Conspiracy :wink:

Yes Orange in Tape.
I also ran into difficulties experimenting with Punch. I had recorded as FX onto Tape , then tried transient glue with more Punch on master. It was nasty no matter what I done, as quiet then loud dynamics created nasty crackles. I put it down to too much Punch and my mix sounded great again with it off.
Spring also seems to overload.

Yeah, sometimes I wanna rly push nitro, but I get some crazy noise.

I find some synths are more prone to cracks and whatnot when playing chords (can’t think off the top of my head which ones), and I found some instances where the envelope didn’t help. That said, I can’t think of it happening in the last little while, so either I’ve gotten around the problem (via magic?) or maybe I’m approaching writing to it differently.

FWIW I usually leave the orange vol-to-tape control at the default setting, and don’t tend to have any problems with drums and stuff, just occasional synth patches with chords. Maybe a CPU thing trying to stretch for full 6 part polyphony?

IME the FM synth had the least amount of crackles in chords when set to a bell-like tone

Before recording I always put the orange volume down until it’s roughly at a third or a half of its course. It leaves a lot of headroom for effects, drive, and so on.
About the cracks that come with chords, from what I understood it has to do with voice stealing, which has been improved in the last OS and is supposed to be better now…

Before recording I always put the orange volume down until it's roughly at a third or a half of its course. It leaves a lot of headroom for effects, drive, and so on.
About the cracks that come with chords, from what I understood it has to do with voice stealing, which has been improved in the last OS and is supposed to be better now...

Thanks for your input. Pun intended.

Hey dudes,

I discovered something interesting w/ the voice stealing cracking on long release poly patches…

I was playing a d-synth, and there were cracks aplenty, however, when I recorded to tape and played back, the cracks were completely gone.

You may all already be aware of this phenomenon, but it’s new to me… Of course, it doesn’t fix the issue if you wanna play live, but at least if you’re recording some nice pads to tape, you know they won’t keep the rice bubbles in em.

<3

About crackling when using Punch – IME as you increase Green (resonance) you get more and more crackling. I don’t know if this is by design or some weird side-effect of their filter model, but anyway if you turn Green to 00, you should have a nice smooth non-resonant filter without any pops or cracking.