OP-1 and Octatrack

Does anyone have any experience of these two working in tandem? Workflow ideas, pros, cons etc?

Id be interested to hear your thoughts. My thinking, coming from an Ableton background to a standalone setup, is this would be a pretty powerful combo.

TIA

I have both and only issue was running OT as master i couldn’t keep the op in sync and had issues … I switched so op is master and controls everything else thru Kenton box into OT … works perfectly in sync now but signal to OT drops every now and then and I just have to restart op or replug USB cable… not a big deal but I don’t use the set up live

i use them both and don’t sync them in anyway. the clock on both seems to be tight enough to just rely on hitting play at the right moment - very little drift so things are usually ok. from time to time my playings a bit loose, but I’ve never had them drift apart enough to notice, and i’ve had the looped and running together for hours at a time.

in terms of workflow… i mean, where to start.

if you come from ableton it’s possible you’re more loop oriented - as in full loops, not just a repeating cycle of notes//rhythms (hell we’re all stuck on that amirite) — so OP-1 is great for generating fully layered loops which can be easily stemmed out or sampled as a single layer and manipulated by the OT. in real-time or stopping and starting.

heck i dunno. if you have more specific questions may fire 'em off.

i use them both and don’t sync them in anyway. the clock on both seems to be tight enough to just rely on hitting play at the right moment - very little drift so things are usually ok. from time to time my playings a bit loose, but I’ve never had them drift apart enough to notice, and i’ve had the looped and running together for hours at a time.

in terms of workflow… i mean, where to start.

if you come from ableton it’s possible you’re more loop oriented - as in full loops, not just a repeating cycle of notes//rhythms (hell we’re all stuck on that amirite) — so OP-1 is great for generating fully layered loops which can be easily stemmed out or sampled as a single layer and manipulated by the OT. in real-time or stopping and starting.

heck i dunno. if you have more specific questions may fire 'em off.

Cheers mate. Im guessing I’m wondering on workflow as in how do you setup to sample on the fly from OP1? Ive been watching loads of tutorials and think i just need to get my hands on an Octa to figure it out. But I’m wondering do you use pickup machines to live loop and then manipulate, or thru machines, or another way?

Sorry for the newbie questions, just trying to get my head around it.

Also what exactly is a thru machine? just basically an audio input track which you can hear?

Also what exactly is a thru machine? just basically an audio input track which you can hear?

Yes, while letting you use the Amp page, lfos, and effects (vs Direct Thru, accessed on the Mixer page).

I also do not sync the OP-1 and OT, just match tempo, and then set a 4-8-whatever bar loop on the OP-1.

I like to build loops on OP-1’s tape then sample it into the OT. This allows me to take advantage of all four tape tracks on the OP-1, with panning, plus the master effects, so I’m essentially focused on creating one “sound” at a time (through layering). The OT sort of acts as an 8-track (stereo!) extension of the OP-1’s tape.

To get some further interaction between the two, I send the OT’s cue outs to a mixer, which has a pre-fader send to the OP-1’s input, so I can sample the two machines back and forth. I use the mixer because I have other stuff going through it and into the OT, but if you’re only using the two machines then you can send the cue out directly to the OP-1 (or you can use the cue out via headphone jack).

I think OP-1 + OT is one of the most powerful hardware combos you can get. I’m glad to have some additional drum machines and synths, but OP-1 and OT are all I’d really need.

Yes, while letting you use the Amp page, lfos, and effects (vs Direct Thru, accessed on the Mixer page).

I also do not sync the OP-1 and OT, just match tempo, and then set a 4-8-whatever bar loop on the OP-1.

I like to build loops on OP-1’s tape then sample it into the OT. This allows me to take advantage of all four tape tracks on the OP-1, with panning, plus the master effects, so I’m essentially focused on creating one “sound” at a time (through layering). The OT sort of acts as an 8-track (stereo!) extension of the OP-1’s tape.

To get some further interaction between the two, I send the OT’s cue outs to a mixer, which has a pre-fader send to the OP-1’s input, so I can sample the two machines back and forth. I use the mixer because I have other stuff going through it and into the OT, but if you’re only using the two machines then you can send the cue out directly to the OP-1 (or you can use the cue out via headphone jack).

I think OP-1 + OT is one of the most powerful hardware combos you can get. I’m glad to have some additional drum machines and synths, but OP-1 and OT are all I’d really need.

Sweet mate, exactly what i wanted to hear.

Another question…so a pickup machine is basically like a looper? My question is, can you still use patterns / parts to build song structures using pickup machines? Or would you jam out an idea then save the captured audio to a flex machine to begin an arrangement process?

I mostly just sample sequences from the OP into the Octatrack for manipulation or use a Thru machine to hear the OP-1 through my monitors since I lack a mixer right now.

It’s fun to take two or three ho-hum sequences from the OP-1 and totally mangle them in the OT to make them much more interesting. It’s not quite the same as putting them into Ableton but it’s arguably more fun
I mostly just sample sequences from the OP into the Octatrack for manipulation or use a Thru machine to hear the OP-1 through my monitors since I lack a mixer right now.

It's fun to take two or three ho-hum sequences from the OP-1 and totally mangle them in the OT to make them much more interesting. It's not quite the same as putting them into Ableton but it's arguably more fun

Yeah the thing with ableton is that its quite ‘samey’ in its results. Obviously you can do amazing things with Max devices and such, but theres not many happy accidents. I love the look of Octatrack because it looks quite unpredictable

It's fun to take two or three ho-hum sequences from the OP-1 and totally mangle them in the OT to make them much more interesting. It's not quite the same as putting them into Ableton but it's arguably more fun

Yeah the thing with ableton is that its quite ‘samey’ in its results. Obviously you can do amazing things with Max devices and such, but theres not many happy accidents. I love the look of Octatrack because it looks quite unpredictable

It really can be. Once you know the machine pretty well you can hone in on what you want pretty quickly, but going fast and not really thinking about what you’re doing can result in some fun stuff…or, to be fair, total garbage.

Now, is it the “best” sampler? That’s impossible to say. I personally like it but I can see the appeal of something like the MPC Live for making more traditional sample-based music. The Octatrack doesn’t have that nice “bang it on the pads” factor, but it DOES have the crossfader which is very tactile.

The OP-1 always falls a little short as a sampler to me other than for drums, so combining it with a real sampler is a nice way to expand it.

Also, Ableton can be a source of happy accidents if you are terrible at using it like I am. Found the idea for a whole song because me and my bandmate didn’t notice we had a delay on a drum track
1 Like

It really can be. Once you know the machine pretty well you can hone in on what you want pretty quickly, but going fast and not really thinking about what you’re doing can result in some fun stuff…or, to be fair, total garbage.

Now, is it the “best” sampler? That’s impossible to say. I personally like it but I can see the appeal of something like the MPC Live for making more traditional sample-based music. The Octatrack doesn’t have that nice “bang it on the pads” factor, but it DOES have the crossfader which is very tactile.

The OP-1 always falls a little short as a sampler to me other than for drums, so combining it with a real sampler is a nice way to expand it.

Also, Ableton can be a source of happy accidents if you are terrible at using it like I am. Found the idea for a whole song because me and my bandmate didn’t notice we had a delay on a drum track

Haha yeah I’ve been there mate, happy accidents are great.

I actually love using my Circuit for this. Its so easy to create happy accidents and develop some great stuff from a simple idea. The only thing missing is multiple outs, so i plan to sample my ideas into Octa to develop further happy accidents which i can then mix down properly.

Man, if the circuit had audio ins for samples I would’ve bought one mmmmonths ago. Same goes for the Volca Sample. yeah, yeah, I know, shouldn’t complain about low-priced gear not being perfect. but damn, the circuits would fly off the shelves as an MPC/Launchpad/Push/OP1 alternative if it was truly an all-in-one

Hello there!

I started off with a Circuit a year or so ago, then eventually got an OP1 and bought an Octatrack last week. It’s been quite a journey.

I’m totally fresh to DAWs and only briefly messed with Live, so I’m not conditioned by any particular workflow. As far as the Octatrack is concerned I’m finding it an absolute JOY to use with the Circuit and OP1 and only wish I had more time to dabble with it, explore and experiment. It’s so much fun!

I run my OP1 and Circuit into the Octa on AB CD inputs respectively and use the direct monitoring option to listen to them constantly through the Octa’s main outs (Mixer > AB Dir + CD Dir) while I mess around. I tend to decide on a style or mood of music I’d like to make and either start constructing a beat on the Octa (sometimes using samples or using a loop I made on the OP1) or noodle around on the OP1 or Circuit until I find a melody and groove I’m enjoying and rapidly sample that to the Octa. Sometimes I use Thru machines, more commonly using Flex machines to sample a snippet of audio which I can then save in the Octa. I had a quick go with Pickup machines but haven’t explored them in much depth yet.

At the moment, being new to the Octatrack, I get SO MUCH satisfaction from playing with the freeze delay that I haven’t even really explored random slicing too much but have sliced a few OP1 samples up to create glitch effects. I just find the whole thing really, really enjoyable and satisfying musically. For an oldish machine it is incredibly powerful and easy to use and works beautifully with the OP1 and Circuit - although I haven’t synced them much via midi yet…

I went into this expecting a total ballache and brutal learning curve. Actually, it’s not that brutal at all. All it takes is a little practice and experimentation, referring to the manual or the array of excellent YouTube videos out there to clarify the more complex aspects of the machine. If you have the money and are even vaguely interested I’d highly recommend it!

Where do you live? If you’re anywhere near the North East of England you’d be really welcome to come and hit up my Octa to see if it hits the sweet spot and is worth your pennies.
Man, if the circuit had audio ins for samples I would've bought one mmmmonths ago. Same goes for the Volca Sample. yeah, yeah, I know, shouldn't complain about low-priced gear not being perfect. but damn, the circuits would fly off the shelves as an MPC/Launchpad/Push/OP1 alternative if it was truly an all-in-one

Literally takes seconds to upload samples to the device mate. It really is easy. I wouldn’t let that put you off. Its a great little device for getting ideas flowing.

Hello there!

I started off with a Circuit a year or so ago, then eventually got an OP1 and bought an Octatrack last week. It's been quite a journey.

I'm totally fresh to DAWs and only briefly messed with Live, so I'm not conditioned by any particular workflow. As far as the Octatrack is concerned I'm finding it an absolute JOY to use with the Circuit and OP1 and only wish I had more time to dabble with it, explore and experiment. It's so much fun!

I run my OP1 and Circuit into the Octa on AB CD inputs respectively and use the direct monitoring option to listen to them constantly through the Octa's main outs (Mixer > AB Dir + CD Dir) while I mess around. I tend to decide on a style or mood of music I'd like to make and either start constructing a beat on the Octa (sometimes using samples or using a loop I made on the OP1) or noodle around on the OP1 or Circuit until I find a melody and groove I'm enjoying and rapidly sample that to the Octa. Sometimes I use Thru machines, more commonly using Flex machines to sample a snippet of audio which I can then save in the Octa. I had a quick go with Pickup machines but haven't explored them in much depth yet.

At the moment, being new to the Octatrack, I get SO MUCH satisfaction from playing with the freeze delay that I haven't even really explored random slicing too much but have sliced a few OP1 samples up to create glitch effects. I just find the whole thing really, really enjoyable and satisfying musically. For an oldish machine it is incredibly powerful and easy to use and works beautifully with the OP1 and Circuit - although I haven't synced them much via midi yet...

I went into this expecting a total ballache and brutal learning curve. Actually, it's not that brutal at all. All it takes is a little practice and experimentation, referring to the manual or the array of excellent YouTube videos out there to clarify the more complex aspects of the machine. If you have the money and are even vaguely interested I'd highly recommend it!

Where do you live? If you're anywhere near the North East of England you'd be really welcome to come and hit up my Octa to see if it hits the sweet spot and is worth your pennies.

Mate awesome! Sounds like you are running the exact same setup I’m trying to achieve. I’m at work currently so can’t reply properly, but I will PM you if that’s OK later after work? Either that or I could find you on FB? Cheers man

Man, if the circuit had audio ins for samples I would've bought one mmmmonths ago. Same goes for the Volca Sample. yeah, yeah, I know, shouldn't complain about low-priced gear not being perfect. but damn, the circuits would fly off the shelves as an MPC/Launchpad/Push/OP1 alternative if it was truly an all-in-one

Literally takes seconds to upload samples to the device mate. It really is easy. I wouldn’t let that put you off. Its a great little device for getting ideas flowing.

Hello there!

I started off with a Circuit a year or so ago, then eventually got an OP1 and bought an Octatrack last week. It's been quite a journey.

I'm totally fresh to DAWs and only briefly messed with Live, so I'm not conditioned by any particular workflow. As far as the Octatrack is concerned I'm finding it an absolute JOY to use with the Circuit and OP1 and only wish I had more time to dabble with it, explore and experiment. It's so much fun!

I run my OP1 and Circuit into the Octa on AB CD inputs respectively and use the direct monitoring option to listen to them constantly through the Octa's main outs (Mixer > AB Dir + CD Dir) while I mess around. I tend to decide on a style or mood of music I'd like to make and either start constructing a beat on the Octa (sometimes using samples or using a loop I made on the OP1) or noodle around on the OP1 or Circuit until I find a melody and groove I'm enjoying and rapidly sample that to the Octa. Sometimes I use Thru machines, more commonly using Flex machines to sample a snippet of audio which I can then save in the Octa. I had a quick go with Pickup machines but haven't explored them in much depth yet.

At the moment, being new to the Octatrack, I get SO MUCH satisfaction from playing with the freeze delay that I haven't even really explored random slicing too much but have sliced a few OP1 samples up to create glitch effects. I just find the whole thing really, really enjoyable and satisfying musically. For an oldish machine it is incredibly powerful and easy to use and works beautifully with the OP1 and Circuit - although I haven't synced them much via midi yet...

I went into this expecting a total ballache and brutal learning curve. Actually, it's not that brutal at all. All it takes is a little practice and experimentation, referring to the manual or the array of excellent YouTube videos out there to clarify the more complex aspects of the machine. If you have the money and are even vaguely interested I'd highly recommend it!

Where do you live? If you're anywhere near the North East of England you'd be really welcome to come and hit up my Octa to see if it hits the sweet spot and is worth your pennies.

Mate awesome! Sounds like you are running the exact same setup I’m trying to achieve. I’m at work currently so can’t reply properly, but I will PM you if that’s OK later after work? Either that or I could find you on FB? Cheers man

Man, no doubt it’s quick and easy, but rules out sample-on-the-fly or even live re-sampling (like OP1 or OT, and possibly the MPC Live when they finally drop). Again, don’t wanna complain about decent gear at a really good price, I just think it was a massive oversight on both devices. Maybe a “Circuit Pro” will come out with inputs, extra tracks, polyphony, and an OLED screen. $899 retail and it will demolishhhhhh the market. Obvious pipe dream tho!

You might want to look at Cuckoo’s amazing tutorials as he uses the OP-1 with the Octatrack in many of them:

OCTATRACK TUTORIAL

Excellent enthusiasm @nooooddy .
Beginners mind is so open & what we (us humans) like.