Start a sequence in time

Hi there,

I'm begining with my OP1 and one of the first thing I miss is the ability to start a sequence in time. Let's says I've wrote a drum pattern with a sequencer and I would like to hear it in sync with the other tracks and maybe make some adjustments like tweaking the settings of the effect or whatever.

Of course I can record it in time if I press shift+rec and then press a key to start the recording, but that's not really what I want because I'll loose the ability to tweak my sound.

I can also start the tape, hold a key to start the seq, and use the hold function on the sequencer, but I'ld like to be in time and most of the time there is a slight delay that I keep listening.

I guess the answer is : "be in time when you start you press a key to start the seq" and I perfectly agree, but if there is something I've missed I'ld be happy to learn it.

ps : I've searched a solution to my problem on the forum but without any luck.

AFAIK you already outlined all options. A comment from me: I’m rhythmically challenged but after some practice even I now have decent timing hitting the play button and a key for the sequencer at the same time. I’m confident you’ll get used to it as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the sequencers drift out of sync with the tape, especially if you have an very taxing synth patch set up and a lot of notes going.

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the sequencers drift out of sync with the tape, especially if you have an very taxing synth patch set up and a lot of notes going.
Really? never had that happen. Surely if the cpu is being taxed everything lags in sync. i.e. tape and seq lag together (i think i've experienced that)

to the op...

yeah just being in time is the only way i've discovered. inaccuracy has led to loads of happy accidents though.

Hi there,

I'm begining with my OP1 and one of the first thing I miss is the ability to start a sequence in time. Let's says I've wrote a drum pattern with a sequencer and I would like to hear it in sync with the other tracks and maybe make some adjustments like tweaking the settings of the effect or whatever.

Of course I can record it in time if I press shift+rec and then press a key to start the recording, but that's not really what I want because I'll loose the ability to tweak my sound.

I can also start the tape, hold a key to start the seq, and use the hold function on the sequencer, but I'ld like to be in time and most of the time there is a slight delay that I keep listening.

I guess the answer is : "be in time when you start you press a key to start the seq" and I perfectly agree, but if there is something I've missed I'ld be happy to learn it.

ps : I've searched a solution to my problem on the forum but without any luck.

As I’m sure youve heard before, the op1 is designed to force you to make those production choices, instead of allowing you with ease to tweak your sound, start your seq in time, etc. I find it not so cumbersome, when I have this issue ( as well as editing swing settings), to lay the sequence to tape and just lift it/erase if I don’t like the timing, then repeat

Thx for the answers guys !

So it's not possible to start the seq in time, that's what I tought but you know, old habits are hard to forget when you meet a new machine.

You're right @PTSowns, the OP1 seems pretty easy to use on Youtube and I guess it is, but if you want to discover the true magic, you have to unlearn a bit what you know about machine and production. I'm cool with that by the way, and it's the beauty of this synth, you do it the "old school way", for the better and the worst.

You can use the blue knob in tape ,to nudge your tape in time with sequencers. Like a turn table.

I have a workaround but it only works with finger. Make an empty sequence (1 bar) in finger and the sequence you want to play. Set the finger sequencer to hold. Start the tape 1 bar before the start point with holding record and the note with the empty sequence. Press play (to stop recording) and the note with your drum sequence. It should start synced with your start point.

Edit: i forgot you have to set the finger sequencer to “replace” with the red knob.

A method I sometimes use if I’m having trouble starting the drum seq in sync with the tape is I’ll hold the drum seq first then press play on the tape second. I guess this is similar to @Spheric_El nudge tip, start seq first then fiddle with tape sync.

In other words, sync the tape to the drum seq rather than sync the drum seq to the tape.

I do the same thing. I start the drum sequencer and keep count until beat one comes around, 1, 2, 3, 4, push play record. It usually works out fine. Just have to be alert. It the metronome and tape are set 1:1 they should always play in sync.

In other words, sync the tape to the drum seq rather than sync the drum seq to the tape.

Great tips here !

I’m late to the party, but I think I have a solution.

I’m assuming you are using the metronome.
Record 1 or 2 bars first. So press Record + Play, then count the 2 bars to give you the time, and start playing after that.
After you’ve finished you can remove the 1st 2 bars count in.

If you are not using the metronome then you can play the sequence you wish to keep time with and before the sequence starts to repeat itself begin recording. That will be your count-in. Then afterwards, cut the count in.