Sample time

Anyone know any deatils about the sampler on the op-z

Currently the only information is that the OP-Z has a dedicated track for sampling, and an integrated MEMS microphone. Anyone feel free to correct me though, just taking info from TE’s preview page.

vocoding using the MEMS microphone was mentioned, not confirmed of course.

Something was mentioned about a tape like feature, not the same as the OP-1, but shorter, for doing effects maybe?

Anyone know how flexible the tracks and tape are? Is ‘tape’ like equivalent to one op1 tape track? Be interesting to see how that works alongside the main step sequencer and what kind of tricks/possibilites TE have thrown in.

Curious if I would be able to use a sliced drum kit for beats on one track, a sampled instrument for chords on another track, ambient field recording on another. Or are track type/track number static? So only ‘sample’ track and ‘tape’ available for sample stuff? Maybe not as limiting as it sounds if resampling is possible on tape. But wondering how slow/fiddly things like slicing and cutting tape sections will be without a screen tho…

Something was mentioned about a tape like feature, not the same as the OP-1, but shorter, for doing effects maybe?

Anyone know how flexible the tracks and tape are? Is ‘tape’ like equivalent to one op1 tape track? Be interesting to see how that works alongside the main step sequencer and what kind of tricks/possibilites TE have thrown in.

Curious if I would be able to use a sliced drum kit for beats on one track, a sampled instrument for chords on another track, ambient field recording on another. Or are track type/track number static? So only ‘sample’ track and ‘tape’ available for sample stuff? Maybe not as limiting as it sounds if resampling is possible on tape. But wondering how slow/fiddly things like slicing and cutting tape sections will be without a screen tho…

From the videos at NAMM 2017, it looks like the tape track is 1 track that’s constantly recording whichever audio tracks are selected for it to record. From there is can be messed with in various ways.

Talked about at 2:30

https://youtu.be/euuIJQHun1s?t=2m30s

Apparently the OP-Z effects/tape function is modular based meaning you will be able to swap/change effects/different type of tapes. I don’t know if you have to pay for different effect modules or they will be free to swap via the ios/osx OP-Z app. Different tape will have a different effect to the master mix.

To me the sampler function is the biggest and most important unknown about the OP-Z. Will the samples be allowed only on one track? Are the samples mono? Can we slice samples, can we change start/end points? can samples be looped and reversed. At what bit rate? The sample ability of the OP-Z could make it legendary or TE might just decided to save all that functionally for a OP-2 to be released many years down the road.