Fall in love with LSDj

Hi fellows, after trying & digging into LSDj, I falled in love with LSDj, and want to have my PO-20 sold…

IMHO, It gives more freedom & possibilities to chiptune musicians, POs are slightly better in live performance.

You can apply any groove in any combination in LSDj, check this out

https://site.douban.com/anusha/?s=693108

Really enjoy it!!

That sounds great! Really expressive use of modulation and clean sound. I have LSDJ and a gameboy color but was always kinda disappointed about the s/n ratio, it always sounded a bit crappy, so I kinda stopped using it. The lack of backlight was a bummer too. What hardware are you using? I did some research and it seems like every model of gameboy has some dealbreaking issue.

yeah it’s an awesome little program, really powerful.

personally i don’t think there’s any comparison between the two instruments. i never had any joy using LSDJ in a live context, whereas the POs look very performance ready and have a lot of capacity for spontaneous creativity. LSDJ takes time and planning - more of a composition tool. i find nanoloop a bit more useful for live stuff in that sense. although, overall, the gameboy is not really designed with realtime music performance in mind!

great sounds by the way! here’s some of my LSDJ stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/chronoglyph/rifn
That sounds great! Really expressive use of modulation and clean sound. I have LSDJ and a gameboy color but was always kinda disappointed about the s/n ratio, it always sounded a bit crappy, so I kinda stopped using it. The lack of backlight was a bummer too. What hardware are you using? I did some research and it seems like every model of gameboy has some dealbreaking issue.

Thanks mate! I also like the clean pulse wave tone :smiley:
BTW, I am using several original 1989 Gameboy Grey made in China.
Yeah, agree with the s/n problem, my solution is tuning up the volume, and use a high gain line in setting on the recording.
There are quite a few guys offer backlight GB in China…so it’s easy to get.
I also saw lot of people use a pro sound modulated GB on youtube.

Cool, looks like you can get a DMG pre-modded on ebay with backlight and prosound for around 60 quid, which is not too bad. Might grab one at some point. Thanks for the tips.

yeah it's an awesome little program, really powerful.

personally i don't think there's any comparison between the two instruments. i never had any joy using LSDJ in a live context, whereas the POs look very performance ready and have a lot of capacity for spontaneous creativity. LSDJ takes time and planning - more of a composition tool. i find nanoloop a bit more useful for live stuff in that sense. although, overall, the gameboy is not really designed with realtime music performance in mind!

great sounds by the way! here's some of my LSDJ stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/chronoglyph/rifn

Oh Man! It sounds wonderful!

Yeah agree that POs are much better on live performance.
LSDj is more like you are programming using a markup language.
hahaha

yeah, trackers were meant for composition rather than live use! I prefer nanoloop for live stuff, because it’s very close to the elektron way of working, but perhaps even better, since it has a few features like being able to combine patterns, modify every step at once, etc.

Really!? I only had a glance at a demo version of Nanoloop/Nanovoice, looks a bit like ableton live maybe?
I am gonna learn more about it then…ha ha ha

yeah, trackers were meant for composition rather than live use! I prefer nanoloop for live stuff, because it’s very close to the elektron way of working, but perhaps even better, since it has a few features like being able to combine patterns, modify every step at once, etc.

Nah, it’s more of a step sequencer, but every step can have different parameters, so effectively you can have a 16 step sequence where every step is a different sound. Very flexible!