Using the OP-1 in a DAW

Hi everyone,
I’m new here (and French, sorry for my English), sorry if my question looks stupid.

I bought an OP-1 but can’t get used to the internal sequencers and I would like to use the OP-1 sounds in a DAW (energyXT, for instance) to record through the step sequencer of XT and using the midi piano roll.
How can I do this, without using the audio output of the OP-1 ?
What device do I need ?
I suppose you can’t control several midi tracks at the same time using the OP-1 sounds and need to asign it to the tracks one by one.

Thank you for your help !

You have to use the audio output of the OP-1, it’s not an USB audio device. The only workaround is to sequence it with your DAW (over USB MIDI), record the audio on tape or album, and then copy the tape or album files over USB to your DAW. Hope I understood what you were trying to do!

Thank you very much for your help, I will try that as soon as possible !

I can’t manage it with energy XT. I’ll try with Ableton Live Lite.

I wish the album mode contained a 4 track…It would make exporting a song (created from flicking through various loops) so much easier as each stem/track would already be sequenced in the correct order

Maybe do it with two passes? First mute tracks 3 & 4 for album side A and then tracks 1 & 2 for album side B. That would work, unless you’re tweaking master effects during the passes. Except you’d have to line the tracks manually in a DAW. It’s annoying that album recording cannot be started in sync with the tape. Would make all kinds of bouncing much easier.

Maybe do it with two passes? First mute tracks 3 & 4 for album side A and then tracks 1 & 2 for album side B. That would work, unless you're tweaking master effects during the passes. Except you'd have to line the tracks manually in a DAW. It's annoying that album recording cannot be started in sync with the tape. Would make all kinds of bouncing much easier.

Nice tip with the album passes - will try that

You can sync tape and album. Here are my notes from tape to album and vice versa (in sync) -

recording from tape to album -

Into album mode. Hit play and record at the same time

Jam

Once done, hit stop in album mode. Best to compare the levels between album and tape
to ensure they are the same

Bouncing from album back to tape

(In tape mode) hit shift and mic (top right)
Select the ear input
Back to tape, set points (remove loop mode)
Set input to max
Press mic again, the ear should display (meaning it’s on)
Select an empty track and make sure volume is set to max
Hit shift and Rec - this arms the recording mode
Into album mode. Hit the play button and the play button in album at the same time

Voila

Hey, that’s a great tip, thanks! Never realised before that you can start tape recording from the album screen. I suppose you just have to be really accurate with separate keystrokes, but I’m assuming you haven’t had problems with phase or anything when doing that?

nah it all works seamless…it was one of those moments people get when ‘oh now i get/understand the OP, isnt it amazing’…bouncing back and forth to album is great for beats…you can build up nice rhythms by muting/unmuting various tracks and then bounce that back and layer again

nah it all works seamless...it was one of those moments people get when 'oh now i get/understand the OP, isnt it amazing'.....bouncing back and forth to album is great for beats..you can build up nice rhythms by muting/unmuting various tracks and then bounce that back and layer again

just keep in mind it’s mono only.

thanks for the tip tho, i was trying to do it myself a few days ago, and couldn’t. missed the shift+rec detail.

Nice workflow @jonsey_op .
I’m going to throw it in the tip sticky if that’s ok.

Nice workflow @jonsey_op . I'm going to throw it in the tip sticky if that's ok.

Go for it, happy to help