Is Punch an HPF or a compressor?

Ive seen Punch referred to as a hi pass filter, and i see how it could function as that. And ive also seen people ask about compression on the op1, & were referred to the mixer, using the drive/release as a global effect.
I guess i always assumed punch WAS the compressor. In the sense that compression reduces the loudest parts & amps the quiet parts to narrow the dynamic range. Theres ratio, release,and a threshold determining how hard the compressor “hits” the sound, how often and for how long, sorta?
Hence the boxer, with punch, rounds, power. One of the coolest effects on there. Like a glue to hold the mix together (sort of what a compressor does, as i understood it.
Ah, the cleverness of swedes.

Punch is a low pass filter. My main gripe is that it has no gain control that I can see. I haven’t really tried it a lot on the stereo bus, tho. I should have a crack, as there is a seperate gain control I could use later to boost it back up. Just wish there was a gain on the mono punch.

I wish it was clearer what the controls of Punch were actually doing. I find it to be the most confusing of the various FX.

I hate punch. There, I said it!

1 Like

Punch is good to synthesize bass or kicks.

But I don’t use it that much.

Not sure it’s a simple filter, more like a filter + a band compressor I’d say.

Also discussed here:

https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/40148/#Comment_40148

FREQ = cutoff frequency
PUNCH = resonance
ROUNDS = slope
POWER = dry/wet ratio

2 Likes
I hate punch. There, I said it!

Hehe, that made me laugh

my fav use of punch is for resampling kick drums synthesised with d-box. with a little tweaking, you’re right in the boom zone.

Punch + Envelope LFO = LPG goodness. And with the self oscillation you can build an 808 style kick from a nearly inaudible click sample. Punch is underrated IMHO.

I’m not a fan of punch either! Nitro on the other hand - one of my favorite effects - ever

Punch + Envelope LFO = LPG goodness. And with the self oscillation you can build an 808 style kick from a nearly inaudible click sample. Punch is underrated IMHO.

Nice one ! Have to try.

With the new LFO it must be quite interesting to sculpt the sound !

I use it on hi hats sometimes, and I make the lfo turn the power up and down. This gets kind of a dynamic hi hat roll thing happening.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation of punch effect. I wasn’t sure what each control was except for the LPF control. Actually, I use it quite a bit when in mixer mode during final mastering to album or tape. I listen with earphones and over speakers and let my ears decide how much or how little to apply. The same thing with final drive and release. The effect is kind of like side-chaining which adds pump to the music. Once again, let your ears make the call. They are a powerful combination when used correctly. In fact, a professional sounding recording can be mixed on the op-1 with time and patience.