Roland boutique advice

I like small battery powered gear (the POs fit right in) and it’s been recommended to me to look at the Roland Boutique range.
I have PO20/24/28, a monotron, a Volca Sample and an FM in the post, and I’m looking for something to add base tones that I can sync to my existing (PO/volca) kit.

I don’t like the TB-03 (I respect the pedigree, but it’s just not for me)

That leaves the JP-08, the JU-06 or the JX-03

Are these usable without any external keyboard? Which one would be able to provide me with base lines?

Sounds like you’re on your way to an all hardware set up! I’ve got the JU and the JP. I have got some serious umph in the bass department with the JP but the JU does it for me! That thing is heavy down there @AudioJack. The chorus effect on it is off the chain, especially in bass! There’s a couple else on here with JX so maybe they’ll chime in.

Alternatively, you could go the second hand route and try them all. I’d do the latter, simply because experimentation is awesome!

You’ll need an external keyboard. I’m selling my K25M (it’s the official one for the boutiques) if you are interested. :slight_smile:

Got a JX-03 a few weeks ago. I feel like you can do much with two oscillators.

Plus you can find it pretty cheap (got mine new for 200€).
There is also a chorus (3 styles) and an analog delay.

Minus : only 16 user presets (weird, the other Boutique synths get 64)
But it’s OK, tweaking a preset is pretty immediate.

In the near future, you might want something to control your little gear.
When you’re there, you might consider Elektron Digitakt, or even an Octatrack :smiley:

I’ve the JU-06 - very tactile, i’m not too fond of the build and blue LEDs but the sound is great. No class-compliant MIDI USB is a shame but at this size I’m happy with everything else it gets right. 16 steps per sequence is limiting but should be OK for bass. The sound is of a Juno. For quick play it doesn’t strictly need a keyboard - you can enter steps without one, but that kind of workflow feels very limited. Listens to Play and Stop MIDI events and starts/stops sequencer (tempo-locked) accordingly.

I’ve the JU-06, JP-08, JX-03 and VP-03. I keep the VP-03 docked in the K-25m keyboard and use an external keyboard or sequencer (usually the OP-1) to control the rest of them.

You won’t go wrong with the JU-06 for basslines.

The Boutique’s internal sequencer is limited (monophonic only) and a bit fiddly to use, so if you don’t use an external keyboard to control it, then you’d be talking about MIDI controlling it from a DAW for example. Don’t waste a JU-06 by not having some sort of keyboard connected to it though! :slight_smile:

CB

Hey @cloudburst, would you be able to tell if yes or no it’s possible to use VP-03 the following way, i.e. input drums as the carrier and get some chords out of it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8XNUYOmrA

So, JU-06 seems to give the most base?

But the JP-08! it’s like, a jupiter-08! :slight_smile: in a tiny box! it would fit nicely with the Volca FM in the classic revival range :slight_smile:

Can I click track sync the JP-08 or the JU-06 to the POs and Volcas?

I just like to doodle, adding one layer at a time, and I refuse to use software (except to load patches and samples) so it looks like i will need a keyboard for any of the boutique range

To sync everything together you might end needing something like MIO4 or iConnectMIDI4+

Pretty convenient if you add an external keyboard to the equation (but you’ll still need to hook your POs to Volcas !)
Hey @cloudburst, would you be able to tell if yes or no it's possible to use VP-03 the following way, i.e. input drums as the carrier and get some chords out of it ?

Yes.

I just tried this out for you using Logic Pro X and the VP-03 @LyingDalai. It works perfectly.

It’s not the carrier you need to send the drum loop to, but the formant.

I sent the drum audio out on USB channels 3&4 to the VP-03 (ie. the formant channels) and as the carrier I was able to use any of the following as the carrier:
- MIDI notes/chords painted in Logic
- played notes/played chords/stored chords on the VP-03 itself.
All worked.

Sorry - I’d forgotten you’d previously asked me to do this for you.

CB

Just watched the kraft youtube on all three and now I’m confused. The examples he went through made the JX-03 sound like the base of the trio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZArcYT3Nvck

I’ve got a JP-08 and as you say it’s like a Jupiter-8! Sounds excellent and very close to a real one.

It can’t sync to a click track but has midi in and out (din and USB) so I’m guessing you can sync to the Volca with midi and from the Volca to the POs.

I’d recommend some sort of keys, I use a little midi keyboard and occasionally sequence it from my Novation Circuit (which is also worth a look, battery powered, portable…)

I could use a Critter and Guitari Pocket Piano as a midi controller for a Boutique right?
Wanted an excuse to get one of those (although hard to find in the UK)

I could use a Critter and Guitari Pocket Piano as a midi controller for a Boutique right?

You could. But what’s your aversion to having a proper set of keys to use as a MIDI controller?

CB

Hey I have a Pocket Piano MIDI I was looking forward to sell, @AudioJack
Need some space and cash :smiley:

PM me if you’re interested (I’m from France)

Hey @cloudburst, would you be able to tell if yes or no it's possible to use VP-03 the following way, i.e. input drums as the carrier and get some chords out of it ?

Yes.

I just tried this out for you using Logic Pro X and the VP-03 @LyingDalai. It works perfectly.

It’s not the carrier you need to send the drum loop to, but the formant.

I sent the drum audio out on USB channels 3&4 to the VP-03 (ie. the formant channels) and as the carrier I was able to use any of the following as the carrier:
- MIDI notes/chords painted in Logic
- played notes/played chords/stored chords on the VP-03 itself.
All worked.

I had indeed missed your answer, thx buddy :slight_smile:

This is pretty good news !
And how versatile is the synth part, then ?
Would you mind recording some testings on this technique ?
That would be super cool :smiley:

I’ve got the JU-06 and I love it. It sounds really close to the original one, and very nice to apprehend synthesis.

I’ve build some wood side panels for fun, and I love it :smiley:

An example

Just found this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4_pu2AHajg

The carrier is the VP-03, the guy is only using the JU-06 keyboard to play notes on the VP-03.
Thus he also plays the JU-06 in the same time…

Pretty cool !

You could. But what’s your aversion to having a proper set of keys to use as a MIDI controller?

CB
A proper set of keys doesn’t fit the bill: small, colourful, battery powered, quirky, retro, resonabally priced etc
Unless you have other suggestions

CB
A proper set of keys doesn’t fit the bill: small, colourful, battery powered, quirky, retro, resonabally priced etc
Unless you have other suggestions

I do understand the need for lots of diverse, exciting colourful kit. But I also believe we all need at least one decent set of keys to bring it all to life. :slight_smile:

CB