PO-32 Tonic Sound and Pattern Sharing

Realise this might be slightly premature - not sure how many here opted for the launch bundle of the PO-32 and Microtonic that starts shipping soon - wondering how those who are interested now and in the future might want to share PO-32 sounds and patterns here on the forum (or elsewhere e.g. Soundcloud). What do you think?

I think itā€™s a great idea.

+1
Already ordered the bundleā€¦ :slight_smile:

I havenā€™t preordered or anything (yet, maybe). But I would recommend that the format for sharing sounds be the drum sound (end result) followed by the data sound. I think the PO-32 should ignore the drum sound and will with for the tone at the beginning of the data sound. This way people can hear what they are loading before committing to loading it up.

fantastic idea. what about using a specific hashtag for the posts that include the datasound? in this way we can share all over the internet, not only in soundcloud

Ordered mine. I think itā€™s a great idea. It will be fun to see what others come up with. I just downloaded the demo of micro tonic to get a taste and it is AWESOME!! Love the morph function. Itā€™s just like the octatrack fader.

What i would like to know is if anyone knows an easy way to emulate this morphing feature in ableton beyond the standard midi/macro mapping. Is there any max for live device that will give me that octatrack fader magic?

I just downloaded the demo too. Sounds amazing. I think Iā€™d actually like to take the PO with me on trips, then upload the patches/patterns to the AU/VST when Iā€™m back at my studio. That isnā€™t currently supported. Iā€™m wavering on buying or not, since I havenā€™t been really into my PO-12 and PO-14, just playing around. Maybe this is a level aboveā€¦ Maybe I just need to wait for the OPZ!

Great! Ok, so letā€™s use this thread and as @GCF suggests put a file with the drum sound and the audio burst and name the file to give an idea of the sound. Same for patterns. For a full machine of sounds and pattern data (referred to as ā€œbackupā€ in the PO-32 guide), we could just have the audio data burst file and maybe a brief description.

Notes from Fredrik at Sonic Charge: ā€œonce you put the PO-32 in receive mode it will start listening for a distinct carrier signal for up to a minute. Anything that is not recognised is simply ignored. Once the transfer starts it is of course important that no other sound is mixed in with the signal. The signal is quite tolerant but try to avoid compressing it too hardā€. Really looking forward to what we all come up with.

Can you actually transfer patterns back to microtonic? Iā€™m not so sure (going by some stuff on sonic charge forum).

Snipped from the forumā€¦
DC0 ī•23 Jan07:43
I just ordered the PO-32 pre-launch bundle with Microtonic.

I saw one YouTube interview with Magnus at NAMM 2017 where he said that currently it is not possible to send patterns and sounds from the PO-32 back into Microtonic. He said there were many challenges to overcome.

Can you actually transfer patterns back to microtonic? I'm not so sure (going by some stuff on sonic charge forum).

Snipped from the forumā€¦
DC0 ī•23 Jan07:43
I just ordered the PO-32 pre-launch bundle with Microtonic.

I saw one YouTube interview with Magnus at NAMM 2017 where he said that currently it is not possible to send patterns and sounds from the PO-32 back into Microtonic. He said there were many challenges to overcome.

I saw this video too. I believe the sequences were the biggest issue because Microtonic doesnā€™t have ā€œper stepā€ parameter locks.

Like Magnus said in that video you canā€™t currently transfer sounds/patterns from the PO-32 to the Microtonic AU/VST. You can, of course, backup your PO by recording the data sound which can then be transferred back to the PO. And you can also transfer between one PO-32 and another.

if you are new to utonic be sure to check out the patternarium on the the sonic charge page. years worth of auto-generated utonic beatsā€¦now if we could just get a synplant POā€¦

if you are new to utonic be sure to check out the patternarium on the the sonic charge page. years worth of auto-generated utonic beats....now if we could just get a synplant PO.........

Haha, synplant Po would be wild!!!

Woohoo! Got the shipping confirmation today!

@motone: great news! Looking forward to the sounds you post here.

Not long now to wait for PO-32! Inspired, as always by the great Cuckoo and hoping that thereā€™ll be lots of custom kits people make/post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXBTkOjEltM

First time here. Hello! Greetings from Bristol, UK.

I have a PO32 arriving on Monday.

Did anyone start sharing patterns and kits for the PO32? Haven't found anything myself, I just wondered if I'd missed it somewhere. Sharing of sounds is such a great idea for this pocket operator.

Same here.

We should use a hashtag ainā€™t it? Thatā€™s one kind of sound no one else wants to share anyway

This is from the Microtonic Forum. Magnus, the guy that makes Microtonic confirms the following.

ī•‡
Can anyone (ie the designer of microtonic) advise if this recording of sound files and transfer to the PO32 actually works without the microtonice software?

Magnus Lidstrƶm ī•yesterday20:36

It absolutely does. You can easily bounce the audio from Microtonic when you make a transfer to create such a sound file. Or you can record the audio output from the PO-32 after pressing [write]+[sound]. The modem signal withstands MP3 compression and I've successfully uploaded and downloaded data dumps on Soundcloud.

Are there any banks already for download in Soundcloud? Is there a hashtag used to identify them?

Magnus Lidstrƶm

Not that I am aware of. I intend to release a few myself that I am working on at the moment (both as .mtpresets and PO-32 dumps). You should bear in mind that the first batch of PO-32s without Microtonic just shipped a couple of weeks ago, so up until now everyone with PO-32 has also got Microtonic and they have had plenty of sounds to explore with Patternarium etc.

Iā€™ve tried to find sound files everywhere but with no luck. have anybody else seen something?