LFO "sidechain" hack?

After much experimentation, I haven’t been able to quite get the sidechain effect on the op1 I’ve been chasing. Here’s where I’m at; maybe someone will find this helpful or be able to enlighten me.

My approach of choice has been to use element LFO with “input” as source, then split the output with a splitter cable, and send a drum track off tape while muting a recording channel with a bass sound (sequenced or just guesswork, as you can’t hear it while you’re muted obvsly)… Apply the LFO adding numbers to the hpf in nitro, or to the S in the adSr envelope for long sustained bass notes.

The main issue seems to be that there is no release control on this ghetto-rigged side chain gater/blinds effect. Without release, the LFO is too fast, and seems to create too many artifacts… I dig artifacts, but I don’t really want them here.

Anyone have more luck? You can get some more convincing side chain effects manually, but I’d really love to automate it.

Thoughts / comments / abuse?

@<a href=“https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/339/djthomaswhite” class=“Username” style=“font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: bold; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>djthomaswhite<span style=“font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; color: rgb(37, 38, 30); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> took some time to explain a hack.

<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>Not a real sidechain compression per se, more a basic emulation… But this might give you an idea.
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN--JpcVQC8

Do you know on element you can use an envelope as source for your LFO ?
Maybe this would get you closer to what you’re looking for…
@djthomaswhite took some time to explain a hack.
Not a real sidechain compression per se, more a basic emulation... But this might give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN--JpcVQC8

Do you know on element you can use an envelope as source for your LFO ?
Maybe this would get you closer to what you're looking for...

Thanks for that, I actually spotted that in the other thread just after I posted this, and it sounds really gr8 for a straight side chain emulation… Very impressed with the effect actually. It would be so cool to be able to experiment with more complex automated sidechains.

I like to use Drive in the master section.
Doing a Tape bounce via Ear with source mixed with bass element.Max bass EQ and Set Drive high, with nice release setting.Then do a second tape bounce of mixed track,this time with bass removed via EQ.
Also been thinking about using Drum sampler to capture a loop.Then use drum envelope (page2) to trigger ducking ,or more like trigger envelope On ,via a second ,silent note that retriggers envelope. Set envelope with blue high,green low,white even and orange to taste.
Needs experimentation and I haven’t tried it, but hopefully would allow other rhythms than 4/4.

I like to use Drive in the master section. Doing a Tape bounce via Ear with source mixed with bass element.Max bass EQ and Set Drive high, with nice release setting.Then do a second tape bounce of mixed track,this time with bass removed via EQ. Also been thinking about using Drum sampler to capture a loop.Then use drum envelope (page2) to trigger ducking ,or more like trigger envelope On ,via a second ,silent note that retriggers envelope. Set envelope with blue high,green low,white even and orange to taste. Needs experimentation and I haven't tried it, but hopefully would allow other rhythms than 4/4.

Thanks man, this is interesting. Although I have to admit, I just woke up and this is melting my brain! Haha. Do a vid plzzzzzz

Hahaha , vid uploads to web still a bit beyond me ,sorry.I understand picture= 1000 words. Maybe something for me to aim for 2017.

No worries dude.

Btw the two methods I mentioned are long work arounds - were as side comp is a quick , set an forget technique that sounds great for the mix,easily.Some hardware does just fall down here.
If you’re 4/4, then the above video is by far the best,quick an effective one. -I like experimenting with tape an effects.

Right on. Thanks mate.