Arpeggio sequencer

Has anyone spent significant time with this sequencer?

I’m struggling to get my head around the modes NONE, ONCE, EACH, ALL, TRIG. I can’t spot any difference between ONCE, EACH and ALL for instance.

Could someone give a simple explanation? Perhaps a bit of a hints and tips for the rest of the functionality of this sequencer too.

Am I right in thinking (after admittedly not TOO much investigation) that the Arpeggio sequencer has a few arbitrary arpeggiator patterns and lacks flexibility? Or am I missing something?

Seems this particular sequencer is less good at allowing you to translate what’s in your head into an arpeggio sequence and better at coming up with some sample patterns that you may or may not latch on to.

CB
1 Like

Haven’t used it much since updating from the beta that had more arpeggio step options. Kinda depresses me to use it now :wink: One setting especially that I had on the old beta I really miss now. But apart from that it seems a pretty good arpeggio from the little use I’ve had with it. Seems to have more depth than a lot of arpeggios out there?

Endless sequencer is prob best for translating what’s in your head if it’s a specific pattern?Arpeggio I guess is better if you want to have those kind of shapes and be able to switch between major/minor notes etc on the fly?

Interested to hear others comments too if they can explain what everything is doing. I’ve just used it random/by ear, some method to the madness would prob be a good idea :wink:

I had the same struggles. The user guide at the TE website really explains it thoroughly. I’d recommend checking it out.

https://www.teenageengineering.com/guides/op-1/sequencers

Thanks folks. I humbly admit to not properly RTFM-ing.

It is starting to make more sense! Thanks again.

CB

I never used the beta, but heard there was right steps instead of 4? Maybe they had problems with glitches or something, otherwise I can’t imagine why they would remove such a better feature

Glad I’m not the only one… I definitely have been struggling with this arp, especially coming from more “standard” arps on my Nord Lead 2 and Bass Station II. It took me ages to work out that you can control up/down by the order in which you play the keys, e.g. if you played a triad in an ascending pattern (e.g C, D#, G) it would play like a regular “UP” arpeggio. Vice versa if you played the same triad in the reverse (G, D#, C) it would play “down”.

Beyond that, the different modes and types just don’t seem to click exactly what they are doing in my brain… Particularly type I, II, and III seem to have no effect at all when I use it (shift + green from memory?).

If anyone could spell out what the once/all/trig modes and he types I, II, and III are doing that would be great :slight_smile:

This literally explains exactly what it is (scroll to bottom)

Two things that jump out.
Types (shift&green) does nothing if green is set to none or trig- we need octave jumps added,so Once,Each or All.
And ,importantly Hold is weird when set on. When off, Arp behaves normal and if very playable ,releasing notes as fingers move to new chords…But set to Hold its totally different - All notes stay stuck on ,unless All fingers release. Then new chords,notes can be set.If one finger is left on keys then mass of notes add up ,making confusion.Not your average ,playable latch arp style.

One question: why can we have like 64 step types in endless but only 4 in arpeggio? Would be awesome to get back the 8 from beta.

This literally explains exactly what it is (scroll to bottom)

Wow, I totally missed that. Damn, son!

I just noticed a playback style that’s like Casio PT… -This is with Hold Off.
I’ve got a PT-30 that records pattern riffs that can be played back via one key.
The types seem to do this.Move Green to Once,Each or All then push type up to 2 or 3 (shift&green) then repeat press one key and watch it progress through its sequence with each hit.

It’s minor , if possibly useful, at least for understanding.

A good way to understand it better is just to do the variations on a single note. Easier to see how it variates the note. Much more confusing if you do it with 3 notes for example.