specific pocket mixer needs.. does it exist though?

Hi guys,

I bought the Rode SC4 cable (http://www.rode.com/accessories/sc4) adapter to record (mono only unfortunately) from OP-1 straight to iPhone while filming. It works.

However the OP-1 being the OP-1 I can’t hear what I’m playing since the output is already used. I tried to use a headphone splitter from the OP-1 output to have one output going to the iPhone adapter > to the iPhone AND plug headphones the other output so I can hear what I’m doing. That doesn’t work for some obscure reason, I tried numerous times. That’s a NO.

Since you can’t split the output that way, is there out there a tiny passive (battery powered) mixer which would allow me to have a line in, a main out as well as a headphone out?
See below the MS paint rendition of my brain works:

I would like something very small I I’m planning to do small 1-2mn videos anywhere I go with minimum gear.

Thanks for your help!

Merry xmas
Philippe

Why don’t you just use the headphone out on your iPhone while filming?

Behringer UCA202 for iPhone recording. Works great, I paid 10 euros for mine used.

Why don't you just use the headphone out on your iPhone while filming?
Because it's already used by the rode sc4 adapter. Cheers
Behringer UCA202 for iPhone recording. Works great, I paid 10 euros for mine used.

That looks great, does it record audio while filming? And how does it get powered? I need something 100% nomad

It gets its power from the iPhone, no external power needed. And yes, I just plug something in the RCA Inputs, and that gets recorded with the Photos app movie recording feature. Can monitor using the headphone jack on the UCA202.

I believe monsieur @Adamjay also uses this for recording live sets, if I’m not mistaken.
It gets its power from the iPhone, no external power needed. And yes, I just plug something in the RCA Inputs, and that gets recorded with the Photos app movie recording feature. Can monitor using the headphone jack on the UCA202.

I believe monsieur @Adamjay also uses this for recording live sets, if I'm not mistaken.

That’s amazing so you power the mixer with a lightning to USB adapter I presume? And best of all, does it record audio in stereo?

Yeah, sorry - you need the camera connection kit - USB to lightning. Forgot about that. And I do believe it’s stereo, haven’t actually recorded stereo stuff in yet :slight_smile: the rca would make one think so.

Hey there ! There is the line6 sonic port which can do this :). A bit more expensive though…

Super, ordered em all :slight_smile: thanks for the tips!

Works like a charm!! Expect some beat videos soon :slight_smile: thanks so much @josker

Behringer could probably make a killing on an updated UCA202-ish thing with 1/8" or 1/4" jacks instead of RCA’s.

Not sure why you’re having issues with a stereo 3.5mm -> 2x stereo 3.5mm splitter. I use one all the time recording and monitoring my OP-1, almost exact setup as yours, except going to a DSLR / Headphones. You might want to try a different splitter, making sure it’s stereo to dual stereo. Should work.

maybe because your DSLR input is a regular TRS and the iPhone’s is a TRRS. Every time I plug headphones on the spare female splitter the iPhone would go in voice control mode and mess it all up.

I will definitely try this set up with my DSLR as soon as I get it back. Thanks for the suggestion mate. Cheers

Yay, glad it worked out @lefilou :slight_smile:

It did indeed :slight_smile:
https://instagram.com/p/BOcEi4aA4Vf/

Nice :slight_smile:

Instead of a headphone splitter, why not try one of these DJ splitters?

http://djworx.com/review-urbanears-slussen-adaptor-for-ipad-and-iphone/
http://www.tecnologiadj.com/comparativa-traktor-dj-cable-y-griffin-dj-cable/

What these do is split the signal into two dual mono signals, one is both left and the second one both right

Can someone explain to be why normal headphone splitters don’t work for this?

I want to so something similar with my dslr, I heard dj splitter cables that split LL and RR but wouldn’t that mess up the stereo effects of the tape?

Why wouldn’t it just normally split the audio LR and LR ?