Battle 44 - Body Operator

Since the last battle #43 ended in a real close decision between me and @quarantequatre (and for another obvious reason) I asked him to join me in hosting this battle...

I mean: HEY! IT'S BATTLE #44!!!

It's called "BODY OPERATOR".

And here are our rules:

#1: No internal synths, no preset samples and/or imported user samples (except those from rule #2).

#2: All sounds must be done and only be done using any parts of your body. No other objects allowed.

#3: Not less than one sample must be recorded as a "loop" with a length of at least one bar. This could be a human beatbox rhythm, a whistled melody, spoken words, singing, a rhythm made with your hands on your leg, etc.

#4: The loop from rule #3 must appear at least once in its full length and as it was originally recorded (applying effects is allowed). Apart from that it can be chopped up and scattered as much as you want.

#5: Unlimited resampling and all effects allowed.

#6: The title of your submission must contain at least the name of one body part that you used fulfilling rule #2. Some examples: "Hand me your heart", "Kneedeep in trouble ", "I head an awful trip". (Let's not drift into NSFW regions here.)

...and finally the golden OP-1 battle rule...
#7: all mixing, processing, recording, mastering and final mixdown to album must take place within the OP-1 (you may use an external microphone and recording device for recording your body sounds, but no external effects or processing allowed!).

Let's set the deadline on Jan., 22nd. 29th

brilliant battle plans, looks like a cheek slapping Christmas is around the corner!

I’m in! Second battle. Imma do better this time. You’ll see, dad.

sounds fun! i think i’ll be able to make something this time!

I’ve been willing to get such bodysong battle for ages (it was even one of my proposals for previous brief)
Very exciting!!!

And nice move towards @quarantequatre : if I had closed the previous battle earlier or later it would have been a draw game!
I am relieved, thank you very much :smiley:

Nice brief :slight_smile: hopefully get time to get a track together this time.

Sounds like fun. Perhaps I should sample my sniffles and coughs while I still have a cold too - just on the off chance I can use those.

Ah cool, we had these rules before in one of the earlier battles, but we were allowed (or had to) to use one track with a synth sound. No sequencers were allowed…

Fun!

Edit: It was Battle 17

I’ve had an op for about 9 months now, and I’ve lurked this forum for well ovewr a year. Never participated in a battle before. THIS IS THE ONE.

Count two lurkers in then!

Three lurkers!

3 weeks to go!

Me is confused, is it one loop only - which is subsequently mangled? Or at least one loop, but other ‘body’ sounds can be added?

@steveoath You can add as many loops as you want, but at least one. And of course you can add as many other sounds as you want, as long as they are created using your body.

Cool.

I just wanted to say, that the battles idea is great. Even if you don’t win or whatever, just through taking part you will discover new approaches to making music and also probably finish some tracks. With the plans laid out already, you have enough criteria to get a track going.

Just wanted to throw out some mad props to this forum.

#7: .....(you may use an external microphone and recording device for recording your body sounds, but no external effects or processing allowed!).

Was struggling to get the samples I wanted out of the OP1 mic and a plugged into the OP1 wasn’t working for me… so I came back to check this rule before proceeding! Whew!!! Carry on! Sternum-Bass drum, engage!

Another hint: you can use FX and resampling to totally alter the original sample. The OP-1 has the power to create almost anything even from a simple “click” or “pop” recorded with the internal mic.

Lurker number 4 here. I will at least attempt something. Considering using only one sample, to work on my resampling $killz

Two weeks left!