Singing?

Anybody on here do that?

It’s maybe an unusual topic for this forum. I’d really really much like to be able to sing, but any skills with singing have so far avoided me.

Has anybody been in the same situation? Would somebody have some tips on ways to develop your pitch?

Use singing apps and karaoke games to train your voice to do pitch better. The Glee app is very useful, but can get expensive buying the songs. So games like Singstar and Karaoke Revolution for Wii, Playstation, and Xbox are better. I’d also recommend checking IGN.com for reviews of different singing games.

P.S. singing isn’t only about pitch, but that will help a lot

Hi,

Yeah, a singing thread! :slight_smile:

I’m sure you can find lots of both good and bad singing excercises on youtube. A lot of the practises might seem a bit odd, but they’re useful.
I’m singing, but I know I’m far from my potential in that regard. There are a lot of techniques you could (should) practise to get your voice, amplitude and pitch more stable. I think pitch is the hardest one to practise. But it’s not always the most important. A lot of world famous jazz legends have incredible voices, but constantly drifting in pitch. In fact, I think pitch will be a natural ingredient in all other practises.

However, getting to know, and like, the personality of your own voice, is something that I’ve become more and more aware of. Of course I wanna sing nice and beautiful, but I hate it when people try to sound “cool” or “harsh” or “rocky”, when they clearly have a completely different voice.
Find your own voice, and develop it.
I think it was @mixrasta that suddenly sang really laid back and unexpectedly cool on one track. It sounded totally effortless. I fully believed in it. It was him.

Common practices for singers:
  • Warm up your voice. Singing simple melodies gradually higher and higher, as well as lower and lower. Check youtube for warmup videos.
  • Stand up when you sing :wink:
  • Get control of your belly muscles. They are important for singing steadily. One belly practice is to stand up, and put your hands, or fists, firmly on your waist. Then tighten the muscles as if taking a shit :wink: This will make your waist tight, and push out your fists. If nothing happens in your waist, try and let out a karate champ “Kiaaaeehh!!” or something “Huuuaahh!!” or laugh hard like a “final boss” or something. Don’t be afraid to sound like a fool. The belly should be the driving force - not the chest.
  • To test the steadiness of your breath, try lighting a candle and let out a long breathe directly at the flame. If you get the flame to bend steadily, you also have control of your breath. To achieve control, use your belly muscles, and squeeze out the air. Do it with a tone as well.
  • Sing simple songs that you like. Even children’s songs. Make it sound steady and natural, like if it’s the most natural thing to you, and be honest with delivering the lyrics.
  • Another quality of your voice is the overtones. A lot of people not used to singing, kinda mute their voice when they sing. Either because that’s how they’ve always sung in school, or because they’re embarrassed, or just untrained. A way to practice overtones is to stand with your nose an inch from a hard wall, and sing different vowels - long tones. Morph the vowels into each other, and try not to muffle them - but to gradually lift them so that they get an extra “shine”, or “sharpness” about them. When singing straight to the wall, the sound will be reflected right back to you so it’ll be easier for you to hear what you’re doing. This is like a trial and error practice where you can search your throat, nostrils, belly to achieve different qualities. Try doing it without adding hiss or “air leaking”. Eventually you’ll be able to get your voice to shine without much effort.
  • And finally… don’t be afraid to record yourself, and listen to it, and get used to your voice without effects. A phone voice recorder might be enough. Be your own critic. If you’re not happy with the pitch and intonation, do it again.
If you’re not Chet Baker on day one, chill. It’s a process. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks @Tribrix - a game is a good idea, as it’s nice to get at least some form of feedback on the pitch!

And monsieur @cuckoo - you did it again. Excellent advice as always, thank you!

I think being about the whole thing is key for me. This advice will get me started quickly. If anyone else has good tips, please! This is turning out to be a great thread, 3 posts in :slight_smile:

Get vocal effects with the Roland Aira VT3. Great vocoders,voice controlled synths,Theremin type sounds.midi controllable ,cheap.Will inspire good vocal performances.Auto tunes too.

I wouldn’t recommend myself as a good advisor (and singer) but after cuckoo mentioned me here I write sth then (thanks, much appriciated brother!)

-You can easily record your voice and always check if it’s okay for you or not. You will hear the pitch, the flow and pronounciation and then work on it.

I think it’s also a lot about confidence, allowing yourself what you
can be, no!, what you are. I mean you still play a role as a singer but
maybe that’s your role then. Nobody knows… only you yourself. And if
you get positive feedback you’ll get closer to your good-singing.

Wise words all round. I do think that confidence plays a significant part, as it’s much harder to stay on pitch when singing quietly and not letting the sound flow.

If you forget about pitch for a while, and just practice speaking or rapping, confidence has a big impact… And it has everything to do with singing too. Totally.

2 Likes

IMHO nothing beats taking singing lessons. If you’re not into that @josker, Helsinki has a lot of choirs, maybe there’s one with a repertoire/style that you’d be OK with? I think that’d be the second best thing to develop your voice. I have a few friends who became a lot better at singing after a few years in a choir.

+1 for singing lessions and choir. I’ve actually done both in my life.

Taking private lessions is, for sure, a great way to develop solo singing techniques. If there’s a music accademy in town, a lot of music teacher students, or vocal students give lessions for cheap money. Either as part of their education, or getting some extra money. Check it out.

Yeah, singing in a choir really helped me develop my singing stamina!

Sweeeeet, I’m going to try and train my tonsils too now!

Your awesome my dude! More OP-1 content or unsubscribe… LOL jk

I just downloaded Voice Dream Writer which allows you to write text and output synthesized speech (a TTS app). A great solution for anyone that either:

1. Thinks it’s fun to have robot singers in their music
  2. Can’t sing
  3. Wants backup singers

Couldn’t agree more on this one. I’ve had lessons etc but the main thing has always been getting comfortable with my own voice. It’s an ongoing process - if you can get to like your own voice, know its strengths and weaknesses (range etc) then you’re on the right track, I’d say.

Cuckoo. You are an amazing human being.

1 Like

Im not a good , neither a regular singer, but I’ve always found it more challenging to write the lyrics…

this video ganna help u still new but very useful

singing is, for me, the bittersweet experience akin to mixing. I really enjoy singing (which im pretty hopeless at), but it always comes down to the lyrics, and if I feel they are complete or not. When I know there is some little bloody word that can be improved on then I (like a twat) can commit to a good take. Also, another boon is wine. Always nice to feel, but feelings sway take over take.
The worst is doing a recording (to one source) of yourself whilst playing an additional instrument, and the vox is the best…while the piano/guitar/whatever is flippin’ horrendous.

sidenote’ just got isotope nectar elements £10 plugin boutique and it works a-ok on m1 Mac mini without any faffing around (ie; Rosetta Stone2 etc)