OP-1 & USB Hub Question...

Hi All,

I have a question for anyone with experience. I’m hoping to interface OP-1 with Analog Rytm without investing in a Kenton USB Host (for the time being). I’m looking for a cheap short-term solution…I’m wondering: I’ve had good success syncing Rytm’s clock to my ipad mini 2 with the “Link to MIDI” app over USB…

Is anyone having success sending MIDI (in my case, MIDI Sync Out) to multiple USB-MIDI devices from a USB hub (via CCK)? I can invest in a cheap powered USB hub, but I’d love to hear if it even works before going to the effort of ordering / testing.
Sure. It's even usb-powered, so you can run it off a battery. http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter?keyword=Usb%20host
Check this out :)

Careful: USB Host support != USB Hub support. The USB stack on this device does not support USB hubs: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-midi

“”"
The USB MIDI device must be connected directly to the USB Host, it cannot be connected through a USB Hub.
“”"

Other than supplying power, isn’t a USB hub a passive device? (where, of course, the USB host is not)

CB

Nope, it’s a device in its own right. The USB 2.0 spec has a whole chapter (11) dedicated to it. There seems to be some complicated magic involved as even the quite fully featured LUFA USB stack has not yet a driver for it in host mode. Otherwise I’d already be rolling my own Arduino based MIO 4+ on the cheap :wink:

Operating systems seem to have appropriate drivers though. One option for a cheap USB host with hub support would be a Raspberry. IIRC there are even dedicated projects for a headless USB and DIN (using the GPIO pins) Midi box.

think might have missed what @trapdoors is asking

think question is - can you use a usb hub on an iPad mini2 to distribute midi sync (with CCK)

I think the answer is yes but I don’t have this setup to say for sure

Oh, in that case: I’ve been hooking up my iPad Pro simultaneously via a USB hub to my Keystep and OP-1 and used Midiflow on the iPad as the master clock to drive Patterning and the USB devices. I’m using the USB 3 CCK which has an input for power though.

Oh, in that case: I've been hooking up my iPad Pro simultaneously via a USB hub to my Keystep and OP-1 and used Midiflow on the iPad as the master clock to drive Patterning and the USB devices. I'm using the USB 3 CCK which has an input for power though.

Thanks all! Though the thread went in several directions…those are some great leads!