PO SAMPLER suggestions

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about how I would like the PO-SAMPLER to work, if it will ever become real.
Here are my suggestions:

It has a MUTE-button (where the others have chord, solo…)

and this is what I imagine the workflow to be:

SAMPLING SOUNDS (LINE IN):

1. press SOUND + PAD1-16 to select PAD to sample to

2. press SOUND + MUTE to record from line-in

3. press MUTE to stop sampling

now you have a sample on the selected pad

EDITING SOUNDS:

1. hold SOUND + turn A to adjust start point

2. hold SOUND + turn B to adjust end point

repeat this for longer adjustments (like on an SP)

3. turn A to adjust pitch

4. turn B to adjust volume

5. pressing sound repeatedly changes playmode of the sample (forward, reverse, loop, loop start to end to start) a looped sound plays until its pad is triggered again

now you have the sample and adjusted it to your liking

RESAMPLING (MAIN OUTPUT):

1. press SOUND + PAD1-16 to select which pad to sample on

2. apply FX

3. press SOUND + MUTE to sample to output

4. press PAD1-16 or PLAY to sample either a pad or a pattern

now you have your original sample with FX applied to it on the selected pad

DELETE SAMPLE:

1. press MUTE + FX to delete a sample

POSSIBLE FX:

1. LOPASS
2. LOPASS SWEEP
3. HIPASS
4. HIPASS SWEEP

5. REVERB short
6. REVERB long
7. DELAY fast
8. DELAY slow

9. WAH
10. DISTORTION
11. FLANGER
12. VINYL COMPRESSOR (SP)

13.-14. TAPE STOP, STUTTER and other live FX

LAST ADDITION:

press FX + PLAY to get a stopping record effect

Let me know if I missed anything, or what your ideas are. Maybe they will listen to us!

Seems good, maybe threshold sampling could be an option…

They should do two samplers. One for one shots like a drum sampler, and one for pitched sounds.

This does not fit into the current PO hardware. You’d need to modify it significantly and I’m not talking about adding the mic here. That means making it more expensive than the current POs. It might also not fit into the size constraints of the current esthetics which is probably an even bigger issue.

My guess, if TE would go for this, it’d need an all together new product, if only for the design/marketing. I’m not sure TE would want to target a “mid-range” market though. There are already some pretty well established samplers out there. Not to mention that the OP-1 has a sampler and we don’t know what the OP-Z can do.

My suggestion: Don’t get your hopes up too high. Of course I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong by TE. Looking forward to NAMM :slight_smile:

Not sure why they would release a cheap sampler when OP-1 is great at it

Crudeoperator is dead on with his reply. Don’t get your hopes up so high lol. also there’s really no such thing as a cheap sampler . I don’t imagine it coming in the form of a pocket operator

would love a PO sampler thoooooo

Seems good, maybe threshold sampling could be an option...

Agreed!

This does not fit into the current PO hardware. You’d need to modify it significantly and I’m not talking about adding the mic here. That means making it more expensive than the current POs. It might also not fit into the size constraints of the current esthetics which is probably an even bigger issue.

My guess, if TE would go for this, it’d need an all together new product, if only for the design/marketing. I’m not sure TE would want to target a “mid-range” market though. There are already some pretty well established samplers out there. Not to mention that the OP-1 has a sampler and we don’t know what the OP-Z can do.

My suggestion: Don’t get your hopes up too high. Of course I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong by TE. Looking forward to NAMM :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply,
Can you explain, how it is not possible? I am curious. I wouldnt even mind if the sampletime would be short either.
Also I dont know, f I am misunderstanding, but I was not talking about installing a mic. Just sampling the ins and outs should be possible.

Other than the functions mentioned above, it would be the same as all the other operators. So not even reinventing the wheel.
But I think it would kill the competition, as it would basically be a Roland SP with the additional feature of muting sound (mute button) and having a proper sequencer.
There is nothing out there in this format and judging by how many people still by old SPs and MPCs there clearly is a high demand.
I think it would be a smart move.
I have read so many threads sayin something like "which sampler should I buy first". If this PO was made I think it would always be one of the first to be mentioned for its price and features. Which can only be good for TE as a brand. Everybody wanting additional things will still buy their other products.

But yeah, I am not getting my hopes up :(

Not sure why they would release a cheap sampler when OP-1 is great at it

Yamaha has MOTIF high end machines, but still sells cheap gear…so does every other company.

128kb Flash storage @ 16 bit sample depth @ 16kHz sample rate = 4 seconds worth of storage divided by 16 slots is on average 1/4th of a second per slot. That’s assuming no compression but it’s also assuming nothing else needs to be stored on the EFM chip like actual code. There are processors with larger storage like the Giant Gecko which comes in the same BGA112 package but given that it has its own starter kit I suppose the pinouts are different. That would mean more changes than just swapping out the MCU. All of this would buy you only 2 seconds per sample slot though and a higher power consumption.

In my opinion, you’d need to add some external flash memory to have good quality (16bit @ 16kHz is just OK) samples at decent lengths. Looking at the pictures @punji posted in the PO Hacks thread it already seems quite crowded underneath the screen.

IMG_4173

Maybe they’re still working on one of these designs for a sampler. I could see something a little bit bigger for a little more money that would still do really well.

Come to think of it: 2 seconds times 16 is 32 seconds. The audio codec runs at 48kHz, which would cut this down to a third, about 11 seconds. Subtract 1/10th for the firmware (128kb seem to be enough for the current POs) and that would leave you at about 10 seconds for the whole lot. That’s only 2 seconds less than the OP-1 drum sampler. This might not be too far fetched.

One concern is that writing to flash seems to take 20us per 32 bits according to the data sheet, that’s 10us per sample at 16bit size. 48kHz means you need to process one sample roughly every 20us, that would leave 10us of processing time. You can (and need to for writing to the flash) buffer some samples in RAM which means you get some leeway in terms of timing when recording. Not sure what the read speed is, that would be a limiting factor for the polyphony.

So if the Giant Gecko is in fact pin-compatible (according to Wikipedia all Gecko MCUs are) with the regular one the Sample PO might be just within reach of a slightly modified hardware anyway. At least if I ran the numbers right and am not forgetting something important.

@crudeoperator

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. Always good to learn something new!

What about changing the samplerate to 12bit?
Would that mean 12,5 seconds sampletime?

@RisingSon found your old PO Sampler thread. Funny how much of your first thoughts became real.

If someone has a dead PO-33/35, please remove the LCD and post a picture of the circuit underneat it so we can confirm wether the processor was upgraded and/or some external memory was added.

@flom You can’t believe how psyched I was, when they announced it :slight_smile: This thing is my favorite piece of gear at the moment. Who needs an MPC if you have this little thing?

@RisingSon said:
@flom You can’t believe how psyched I was, when they announced it :slight_smile: This thing is my favorite piece of gear at the moment. Who needs an MPC if you have this little thing?

You even anticipated a few UI things from the PO33. Are you sure you dont work for TE?

@flom Oh how I wish I did. Wouldn’t mind the paycheck :slight_smile: But just some beta-testing would already make me ha-ha-happy.