Amplification

Hey everybody,
I just ordered my Op-1, it’s been a long time coming (人•ᴗ• )

I have this little fender champ amp, super clean, only a volume nob, and I was wondering if I had the right cable I could send my op-1 signal through the amp? Maybe even warm it up through the tube? Bring that digital sound to life and maybe mic it? Idk, thoughts?

Or maybe get a tube pre-amp?

Yeah totally it’ll play through the amp. I’m not an expert on anything but yeah you just need a cable that goes from 1/8" to 1/4" . I have played through an amp. You might not get the whole range of sound , yknow, but if it is what you like then yeah man do it

It’ll work and sound good. Going through a small amp/cabinet etc and in to a mic like an sm57 will possibly have a kind of thinning effect, you’ll lose some frequencies along the way and others will get hyped, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing :wink:

I’ve tried this recently and it was pretty fun :

Beware with huge bass though, if you push it with a high bass volume you might damage your guitar amp !
I use a bass amp (small Markbass 121p) and it’s good in this regard.

Now I just got me a pair of Focal Alpha 50 and it’s as if I had bought me new ears !!! Can’t recommend enough to invest in a good pair of monitors for home use !!!

Beware with huge bass though, if you push it with a high bass volume you might damage your guitar amp ! I use a bass amp (small Markbass 121p) and it's good in this regard.

Now I just got me a pair of Focal Alpha 50 and it’s as if I had bought me new ears !!! Can’t recommend enough to invest in a good pair of monitors for home use !!!

Congrats on the new ears :wink: Often think about monitor upgrade. Then something less sensible rids the idea :wink: Been on the same tiny Edirols since I started. They’re OK but always felt it pretty hard to find air between frequencies (if that makes any sense?) and mixing lows. Might be a wise move to try and upgrade some time next year… Have your mixes noticeably improved since you switched? Guess maybe bit early/still learning them?

I just rediscovered all my gear.
Blofeld sounds awful! My previous speakers being crappy and old, they had this natural filter I was used to…
But being able to hear music in HD is such a pleasure !
So far I’ve just been playing, no mixing yet…

Congrats on the new speakers, those Focal Alphas are OUTSTANDING!! They might be my next purchase once I recover from the OP-1.

I have some Yamaha HS5s in my home studio that I love for their flat response. If I use my OP-1 out and about, I'll likely use my Roland Cube Street that is battery powered and has a mic channel. I use it when playing acoustic guitar/ukulele and singing while busking or for small outdoor gigs. 6+ hours on AA batteries. Should be a great combo with the OP-1!

I plug my OP-1 into an old Roland Edirol UA-5, that sends then to a pair of Yamaha HS7s, driving them at half to two thirds of the volume.

Mantratones setting, playing G and C -2 octaves is an amazing sound to hear :-).